DFWWIZ Cree/Philips LED headlights

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
dmanns67 said:
It appears that all of DFWWIZ LED lights are 3600 lumen so there would be no need to convert a 9005 bulb to fit the 9006 socket as light output is the same across the board.

Instead of doing the DRL killer mod, you should look into doing the capacitor mod. It will supply 100% power to your headlights at all times. You still retain all of the stock functions and have the option to turn off the DRLs with the headlight switch.

The capicitor mod only costs about $6 with parts from Radio Shack and 15 minutes to install. I would imagine with LEDs you would want 100% power at all times to preserve the life of the SMDs.

As for lumen output based on the kelvin scale, remember the higher up in the scale the lower the lumen output. Best to stay in between 4300k and 6000k to get your moneys worth.

These lights only come in one color...they are not like hids and are able to choose a certain color ... crystal white only.... is available in these

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
It appears that all of DFWWIZ LED lights are 3600 lumen so there would be no need to convert a 9005 bulb to fit the 9006 socket as light output is the same across the board.

Instead of doing the DRL killer mod, you should look into doing the capacitor mod. It will supply 100% power to your headlights at all times. You still retain all of the stock functions and have the option to turn off the DRLs with the headlight switch.

The capicitor mod only costs about $6 with parts from Radio Shack and 15 minutes to install. I would imagine with LEDs you would want 100% power at all times to preserve the life of the SMDs.

As for lumen output based on the kelvin scale, remember the higher up in the scale the lower the lumen output. Best to stay in between 4300k and 6000k to get your moneys worth.

The one problem is that I do not have a radioshack here anymore..... That is the biggest reason I have not done the cap mod yet... Same problem with doing the quad beam mod. No source for the diodes. However someone posted up an eBay link for the diodes so I may order those this weekend. If someone can help out with getting the proper resistors for the cap mod that would be much appreciated!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Darkrider_LS said:
The one problem is that I do not have a radioshack here anymore..... That is the biggest reason I have not done the cap mod yet... Same problem with doing the quad beam mod. No source for the diodes. However someone posted up an eBay link for the diodes so I may order those this weekend. If someone can help out with getting the proper resistors for the cap mod that would be much appreciated!

I'm pretty sure if you use a resistor, you won't get the desired effect!! :ballbuster: :raspberry:

You'll want to track down a 10uf/35v capacitor, and that will do the trick. :yes:

[EBAY]121256848993[/EBAY]

Reactions: Ilikemy3s

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Blckshdw said:
I'm pretty sure if you use a resistor, you won't get the desired effect!! :ballbuster: :raspberry:

You'll want to track down a 10uf/35v capacitor, and that will do the trick. :yes:

[EBAY]121256848993[/EBAY]

Whoops! Yea that would have sucked....and thanks for the ebay link...i only need one to do the mod correct?

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
OUCH!!! $16 for shipping of a $1 part..and that is if i can even get the seller to agree to ship to canada!

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Why don't you look on radioshack.com or do they not ship to Canada?

Will def look into that now that I know what specs to look for.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Small oversight on my part, although I used the Canadian Ebay site, it still used my zip code to show who had the lowest shipping. That place is local to me... Run a quick search yourself, and I'm sure you'll find someone north of the border that has them.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
This is all you need for the cap mod. Even have the Radio Shack part.

ybu7umem.jpg

Found it on Radioshack.com! now to look up the info for the Diode i need for the quad beam mod and see if i can get that there too!

Crap...just noticed they do not ship internationally! DOH!!!! Ok....BIG favor to ask of my fellow GMTNation members.....I have the part numbers needed now....Could someone either order them and have them shipped to their homes then ship to me or pick them up at their local store and ship them to me? I will gladly pay for them via paypal...was about to order from the site till i noticed that they do not ship internationally.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you now know what you need, and you can't get it from one site, then find it on another... If you don't want to get it from Ebay, try Amazon... :twocents:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Installed my lows and fogs today the first two shots are the HID's and the next two are at the same time as day but with the CREE LED's.

1390085481742_zps54327f26.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1390085509426_zpsd40e6fb6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1390171962341_zps9b7e31c6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1390171984132_zps597bfcbb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Feb 16, 2012
Matt said:
Installed my lows and fogs today the first two shots are the HID's and the next two are at the same time as day but with the CREE LED's.

After you get to run around with them in different times of day and weather let us know which you prefer!

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
I'm a fan of upgrading, but quite honestly the HIDs look brighter to me. Only time will tell as you test them out and let us know which ones you like best!

illy

Jan 2, 2014
Envoy_04 said:
I'm a fan of upgrading, but quite honestly the HIDs look brighter to me. Only time will tell as you test them out and let us know which ones you like best!

how do the HIDS look brighter, if u compare the two shots of the output, the leds illuminate more of the house. Yes the hids look brighter when coming from the housings but I have to think that is because of the hids scattering the light more than the leds

idk after looking closer these shots weren't taken at the same time of day, need more comparison pics

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
3600 Cree lumens is > than 3000 HID lumens and these lumens are only if you have 4300-5000K. If you have 6000K, 8000K or above the lumens are even less

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
illy said:
idk after looking closer these shots weren't taken at the same time of day, need more comparison pics

:iagree: I'm anxiously awaiting results and review after some night driving, and definitely some after dark pics from inside looking out!

big ed

Nov 18, 2011
Envoy_04 said:

:iagree:..the HID's look brighter..:twocents:..but Ms SilverBullets gremlins make me change HID's so often, I'd love an alternative with the same output or better than HID's. keep us posted.

Feb 16, 2012
big ed said:
:iagree:..the HID's look brighter..:twocents:..but Ms SilverBullets gremlins make me change HID's so often, I'd love an alternative with the same output or better than HID's. keep us posted.

To be fair..... Rarely have I seen videos of pictures TRULY do justice to lighting in general....

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Zapp Brannigan said:
After you get to run around with them in different times of day and weather let us know which you prefer!

That's the plan...I'll really be able to tell tomorrow when I go to work in the morning as it's dark when I leave.

illy said:

Actually, I looked at the time stamp for all the photos and they were taken at within 2 minutes of each other on consecutive days. So, yes, they were taken at around the same time as day. There was a lot more cloud cover when the the HID photo's were taken.

View attachment 32200

View attachment 32201

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 34
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 35

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I love my HID lows, but I'm thinking my new Malibu is going to get these Cree bulb as the high beams. Obviously with the warm up HID just isn't a great option for high beam, but these would be perfect to pair with HID lows in my quadbeams. Probably go for these when my Silverstar highs in the TB burn out as well.

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
So, I'm perplexed by the pricing info posted.
How much am I looking at for everything on my front end? Highs, lows, and fogs?

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
D3vious said:
So, I'm perplexed by the pricing info posted.
How much am I looking at for everything on my front end? Highs, lows, and fogs?

looking at $210 + $14 shipping... so $224 all together for high, low, fogs:thumbsup:

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
Not too bad, have to check with the financial advisor (bank account)

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Well...i have joined the LED minority and ordered some for my low beams!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Midnyteryder02 said:
Any more pics yet matt? :biggrin:

No mate, this morning was the first time I went out when it was dark enough to see what they were like....I have to adjust the lights, so it'll be later this week when I get a chance.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Matt said:
No mate, this morning was the first time I went out when it was dark enough to see what they were like....I have to adjust the lights, so it'll be later this week when I get a chance.

So even though u have to adjust the lights, how did you like them? Be sure to keep us posted :thumbup:

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
I've got a set of lows currently installed. I sent Kevin some $ for the fogs and highs. Once installed, I'll be doing the 6 high mod. I'm happy with them so far. I haven't been flashed by oncoming drivers yet though.
The biggest pain in the ass is "clocking" the bulbs to be at 3 and 9 O'clock in the housing. That took me some time to do. But definitely worth the time it takes.

I might be driving to Buffalo in a few weeks, then down to VA. Hopefully they work great in the dark mountains. If they do, I know I'll be ordering another set for a friend with a Duramax. He makes the drive 1-2 times a month.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
neohio said:
I've got a set of lows currently installed. I sent Kevin some $ for the fogs and highs. Once installed, I'll be doing the 6 high mod. I'm happy with them so far. I haven't been flashed by oncoming drivers yet though.
The biggest pain in the ass is "clocking" the bulbs to be at 3 and 9 O'clock in the housing. That took me some time to do. But definitely worth the time it takes.

I might be driving to Buffalo in a few weeks, then down to VA. Hopefully they work great in the dark mountains. If they do, I know I'll be ordering another set for a friend with a Duramax. He makes the drive 1-2 times a month.

Did you go from halogens to LEDs or HIDs to LEDs? If from HIDs, did you notice a big difference switching to LEDs?

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Went from stock halogens to LED/SMD/Cree lights.
I like them, the light is very white. I am still trying to get used to the new colour of the road. I've found wet snow covered roads looks a LOT like black ice, only due to the light reflecting off the road with a different colour than I am accustomed to. So it has been a bit of a learning curve.
Is that wet road really wet? or is it covered in ice.

That so far is my only complaint. I have about 200 miles of night driving with them. In a bunch of different road conditions.

My only concern with these is not creating heat to melt the snow off the headlight like a halogen does. I haven't driven in heavy falling snow to see how much snow/ice still sticks to the headlight.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Got an install question.

I have the stock HID, I'm guessing I pull power before the ballast and just replace the bulb in the housing. Is it that simple?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Heres what you get minus the switchback bulbs in the pic...
The bulbs fire by a ballast type "driver". Only u don't use a relay harness.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390353010858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390353010858.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390353023715.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390353023715.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 36

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
jrSS said:
Heres what you get minus the switchback bulbs in the pic...
The bulbs fire by a ballast type "driver". Only u don't use a relay harness.

I will see exactly that since I ordered switchbacks as well

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online

No members online now.