Cheap looking Serpentine belt...

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
So as i was getting a new thermostat at Autozone tonight I deiced well I would change the serpentine belt while I'm at it. so I went to look at the belts they had a couple of options. i went ahead and went with the Valucraft 915K6. it was the cheapest one. I ended up spending $77 on everything, bought Prestone 50/50 and T-Stat and 15mm Socket for alternator. BTW and suggestion on getting that bottom bolt out of the Alternator? Thanks , Alec

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
04Trailblazer said:
So as i was getting a new thermostat at Autozone tonight I deiced well I would change the serpentine belt while I'm at it. so I went to look at the belts they had a couple of options. i went ahead and went with the Valucraft 915K6. it was the cheapest one. I ended up spending $77 on everything, bought Prestone 50/50 and T-Stat and 15mm Socket for alternator. BTW and suggestion on getting that bottom bolt out of the Alternator? Thanks , Alec

My husband had an issue getting the bottom bolt out as well. He used a socket and smaller ratchet to get between the fan and the ALT. If you have to put the ratchet through the fan and turn the fan with the ratchet, and be sure to put the connector plugs in very last after the ALT has been put back in or you could cut those in two like my hubby did to ours.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Voymom said:
My husband had an issue getting the bottom bolt out as well. He used a socket and smaller ratchet to get between the fan and the ALT. If you have to put the ratchet through the fan and turn the fan with the ratchet, and be sure to put the connector plugs in very last after the ALT has been put back in or you could cut those in two like my hubby did to ours.

Thank you very much! , Wish my luck , im attempting this on Saturday. Lets see if i can have it back together in less then 3 hours lol :rotfl: I only bought a gallon of 50/50 Dexcool . hope i wont need more, that stuffs expensive!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
04Trailblazer said:
Thank you very much! , Wish my luck , im attempting this on Saturday. Lets see if i can have it back together in less then 3 hours lol :rotfl: I only bought a gallon of 50/50 Dexcool . hope i wont need more, that stuffs expensive!

I did a complete drain and flush when we did my thermostat last weekend. Used a bit under 2.5 gallons, assuming the rest was in the cooling channels of the engine.

We used a combination wrench to remove the lower bolt, putting it back in was very easy.... with the fan and shroud removed :biggrin:

I will only use Dayco, or Delco for parts for these trucks. That and Dayco for belts, not something I want to randomly have issues with.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I did a complete drain and flush when we did my thermostat last weekend. Used a bit under 2.5 gallons, assuming the rest was in the cooling channels of the engine.

We used a combination wrench to remove the lower bolt, putting it back in was very easy.... with the fan and shroud removed :biggrin:

I will only use Dayco, or Delco for parts for these trucks. That and Dayco for belts, not something I want to randomly have issues with.

Why would you take off the fan and the shroud just to get the bottom bolt on:confused:? I then need to probably go get a combination wrench also :tongue: just to make life easier.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
04Trailblazer said:
Why would you take off the fan and the shroud just to get the bottom bolt on:confused:? I then need to probably go get a combination wrench also :tongue: just to make life easier.

Replaced water pump. Wasnt bad, but I was already in for the t-stat.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Replaced water pump. Wasnt bad, but I was already in for the t-stat.

o, I got ya! , well my TB has 155,000 miles and i hope i wont have to deal with a water pump... knock on wood

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
04Trailblazer said:
...it was the cheapest one....
The consensus mostly around here is to not cheap out on the belt and get Gatorbacks. The Chinese Crappy Crud factories would have no customers if folks would just quit buying the cheapest possible item and wishing for a long and happy relationship with it. :confused:

But if you only travel in well-lit safe neighborhoods, not too hot and not too cold, where the residents won't bother you when your belt fails and you have to change back to your old one you kept as a spare using the tools you must always carry with you, then you might have made a safe choice. :cool:

Me? I use Gatorbacks. I often wheel through the Valley of the Shadow of Death and want to reduce the risk of failure. :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Gatorbacks are hard to come by in this are, I use the Dayco Polyrib/Polycog depending on what they have.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
The power steering pump froze up on my S-10 and destroyed the belt. It was one of those "lifetime" warranty pumps from AutoZone so when I swapped for a replacement pump and I got a Valuecraft belt too. Noticed the belt as it went under the tensioner had a slght wobble. Replaced the Valuecraft with a Gatorback and relegated the Valuecraft as a backup stored underhood.
I found the Gatorback on Amazon for under $20. Also have a Gatorback on the Envoy and the OE belt stored underhood.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Me007gold said:
Then buy it online, you know when you want to change it. Plan ahead...

Was not my initial intention to replace the belt, had a gatorback on it since 85k miles, currently at 119k and some change. The belt was in good condition till I accidentally hit it with the breaker bar. So had to go to autozone. I have usually always ran Dayco's, or gatorbacks. Not in the initial plans.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have found that the non-ribbed belts are noisier, causing squeaks over time. The ribs allow the belt to bend easier around pulleys. I have been using Gatorbacks for a while now. Before that, Daycos. Both excellent belts.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
the roadie said:
The consensus mostly around here is to not cheap out on the belt and get Gatorbacks. The Chinese Crappy Crud factories would have no customers if folks would just quit buying the cheapest possible item and wishing for a long and happy relationship with it. :confused:

But if you only travel in well-lit safe neighborhoods, not too hot and not too cold, where the residents won't bother you when your belt fails and you have to change back to your old one you kept as a spare using the tools you must always carry with you, then you might have made a safe choice. :cool:

Me? I use Gatorbacks. I often wheel through the Valley of the Shadow of Death and want to reduce the risk of failure. :thumbsup:

I might got back over today and grab a better one, A person always told me spend the extra few dollars...lol

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Spending the extra few dollars on our trucks is worth it. It can be the difference the engine running smooth, or running like complete ass, and someone posting on the forutrying to troubleshoot issues.

For mechanical parts I will only use delco.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I got a gatorback for my old car and didn't like it. Was noisy and just didn't last. I've been using Dayco polycogs since and prefer them (plus they do cost a little less I believe).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Never had an issue with the belt, but at 120,000 I did toss on a Gatorback I picked up online for about 20 bucks. Seemed like good PM.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
04Trailblazer said:

There isn't much room to work around that bottom alternator bolt. Removing the fan and shroud creates a more roomy workspace, although you can certainly get the job done without having to remove those components. I was able to get the job done with just an 15mm wrench, but it was slow going and did a number of my knuckles. Someone mentioned a ratcheting wrench, and athlough I haven't tried one of those, I have to think they might be onto something with this job.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Mooseman said:
I have found that the non-ribbed belts are noisier, causing squeaks over time. The ribs allow the belt to bend easier around pulleys. I have been using Gatorbacks for a while now. Before that, Daycos. Both excellent belts.

I went ahead and went with a Gates belt #K060905 13/16" x 90-7/8", I have a SWB Trailblazer, when i was getting it the guy at the counter asked me if my alternator was a 130A or 150A and he went ahead and gave me the 130A belt the shorter one that was 90-7/8, is this going to be the right size? and where can i check to see what amp my Alternator is? Im really tired of driving over to the parts store lol.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And we ALL have 150A alternators no matter whether we are SWB or LWB and parts stores have been asking that SAME DUMB QUESTION from Day 1 due to a data base error it seems they are NEVER GOING TO FIX.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
the roadie said:
And we ALL have 150A alternators no matter whether we are SWB or LWB and parts stores have been asking that SAME DUMB QUESTION from Day 1 due to a data base error it seems they are NEVER GOING TO FIX.

So will i be OK with that belt then? some People in those auto part stores my me think If they really know what there talking about...Thanks

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
04Trailblazer said:
So will i be OK with that belt then? some People in those auto part stores my me think If they really know what there talking about...Thanks

You said the guy sold you a belt for a 130A alternator but our alternators are 150A. The p/n for the Gatorback I bought was K4060915 (meaning it's ~91.5") Also had listed on the belt a p/n of 6PK2325 (which is 2325mm or approx. 91.5"). Also you should find KG4 in your rpo list for 150A alternator.
You might return and get the 150A belt.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
04Trailblazer said:
BTW and suggestion on getting that bottom bolt out of the Alternator? Thanks , Alec

Once you get the lower bolt loose....this wrench is a good friend. Reason I listed the version with the reverse selector switch.....if you back the lower bolt out too far and contact the A/C line, you will likely need to lower the A/C pump to get the wrench off if you don't have the selector switch. Ask me how I know.

Attachments

• 15MM stubby.jpg
    15MM stubby.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 90

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
gmcman said:
Once you get the lower bolt loose....this wrench is a good friend. Reason I listed the version with the reverse selector switch.....if you back the lower bolt out too far and contact the A/C line, you will likely need to lower the A/C pump to get the wrench off if you don't have the selector switch. Ask me how I know.

That thermostat change was a PIA! the only part that drove me crazy was the bottom alternator bolt, i swear i spent 20 mins getting it out and putting it back in with a 15mm Combination wrench, No SEL :smile: , and now right at 210 mark:wootwoot:. overall time on replacing the T-Stat and the Serpentine belt was 3 hours, not to bad for a 15 year old changing a t-stat in 3 hours.

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
04Trailblazer said:
That thermostat change was a PIA! the only part that drove me crazy was the bottom alternator bolt, i swear i spent 20 mins getting it out and putting it back in with a 15mm Combination wrench, No SEL :smile: , and now right at 210 mark:wootwoot:. overall time on replacing the T-Stat and the Serpentine belt was 3 hours, not to bad for a 15 year old changing a t-stat in 3 hours.

Have this planned for tomorrow, changing the coolant sensor too but no special socket. Will see how that goes.:biggrin:

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Menthol said:
Have this planned for tomorrow, changing the coolant sensor too but no special socket. Will see how that goes.:biggrin:

Have fun with that bottom alternator bolt! well if you have the right tool it shouldn't be to bad, the dang Fan shroud and fan cut up my hands, it looks like a cat attacked me! Good luck with yours :smile:

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
04Trailblazer said:
Have fun with that bottom alternator bolt! well if you have the right tool it shouldn't be to bad, the dang Fan shroud and fan cut up my hands, it looks like a cat attacked me! Good luck with yours :smile:

@#$K, you're riight......I thought I can without the short wrench, had to turn wrench along with fan. That's a bitch and then some. I took out the sensor too with a 18mm wrench. Cleaned everything up and will get a 18mm Deep socket slotted tomorrow for sensor, will also pickup a stubby 15mm and hose clamp. I don't need to drive it tomorrow so not going to punish myself.

Could not get the alternator out too, no matter how I twisted and turn (also the alternator :biggrin:)not that I needed to but would have provided more room.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x157/Menthol_03/Ther.jpg

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Menthol said:
@#$K, you're riight......I thought I can without the short wrench, had to turn wrench along with fan. That's a bitch and then some. I took out the sensor too with a 18mm wrench. Cleaned everything up and will get a 18mm Deep socket slotted tomorrow for sensor, will also pickup a stubby 15mm and hose clamp. I don't need to drive it tomorrow so not going to punish myself.

Could not get the alternator out too, no matter how I twisted and turn (also the alternator :biggrin:)not that I needed to but would have provided more run.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x157/Menthol_03/Ther.jpg

yeah that would be why my hands and arms are all cut up from the fan, I also had a 2 gallon bucket on the floor but most of it just went onto my garage floor lol. so i ended up having to wash out the garage with the hose. Not a fun project! Getting my hose off the thermostat was hard to get off it wouldn't even slide on bit. but eventually after 15 mins of tugging and twisting it came off. I did get the alternator out but was so freaking tight i was bending the fan and the fan shroud coming out. I would not want to do this again!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When I replaced my alternator (bad bearing inside) that lower bolt was annoying but it wasn't the worst thing I've done before.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online