Car won’t start, doors won’t lock or unlock from inside or fob

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan
I was driving home and all of my dash lights turned on and my info gauges on the right all went to 0 or all the way to the left. The car ran fine but when i can back home the car will not start, headlights still work, accessory mode works, stereo doesn’t turn on, etc. I replaced the ignition switch and same thing. Battery rests at 12.4 and charges at 14.9. Any ideas??
2006 Ls Trailblazer 4wd

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation:

(1) Check for a Bad Ignition Switch and R&R it if necessary with an OE Quality One.
(2) Check the Battery Condition (LOAD Test) and Battery Cable Connections.

An event with identical symptoms to your situation is mentioned at the Link below:

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan
Welcome to GMT Nation:

(1) Check for a Bad Ignition Switch and R&R it if necessary with an OE Quality One.
(2) Check the Battery Condition (LOAD Test) and Battery Cable Connections.

An event with identical symptoms to your situation is mentioned at the Link below:

I replaced the ignition switch already and same result unless i got a bad one i don’t think it’s the switch. I got an autozone duralast part.
Also tried multiple batteries making sure connections were great plus i have the big 3 upgrade for grounds and alternator positive post wire.
Checked all fuses, unless they gave me a faulty ignition switch i’m not sure.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
what do you mean "will not start".... nothing happens or the engine turns but doesn't start? IF you are getting no "start action", then check the connections at the starter for voltage and ground. Check the starter relay in the fuse box.

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan
what do you mean "will not start".... nothing happens or the engine turns but doesn't start? IF you are getting no "start action", then check the connections at the starter for voltage and ground. Check the starter relay in the fuse box.
I mean nothing, no crank, engine definitely doesn’t turn on. When key is in accessory mode i see an airbag light, ABS, Engine light, battery light and parking brake light stay on. Doors will not lock, windows don’t work, i feel the starter relay has nothing to do with the doors and windows yk. Will do tho👍

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
OK... you have a lift gate module issue... most likely broken wiring.

Last edited:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
the wiring gets brittle over time and the open / close causes issues from "no power" to sporadic operation / messaging, etc. You will need to inspect carefully as quick visual looks may not find broken internal wiring of the cables.

Reactions: mrrsm

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan
the wiring gets brittle over time and the open / close causes issues from "no power" to sporadic operation / messaging, etc. You will need to inspect carefully as quick visual looks may not find broken internal wiring of the cables.
Could it for sure be this or could it possible be something else? Have you seen this happen before because i feel i have tested so much already but i know it’s impossible to figure it out sometimes with electrical problems.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
there is no "guaranty" on internet troubleshooting. Your success will depend on your effort AND how well you describe what you have done and what you see as YOU are the eyes and hands for the forum.

The circuit for the start system is relatively simple. Follow it to check what is happening. Go from the result of the investigation therein.

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan
there is no "guaranty" on internet troubleshooting. Your success will depend on your effort AND how well you describe what you have done and what you see as YOU are the eyes and hands for the forum.

The circuit for the start system is relatively simple. Follow it to check what is happening. Go from the result of the investigation therein.
Everything in the back looked well, took off the whole panel and followed the grommets i’m not sure tbh

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan

Did some searching could not find anything loose or suspicious with wiring in the back. However my obd2 reader will not even connect to the car when the car is in accessory mode. I have voltage to the scanner port but won’t read. i’m concerned it might be the ECM but some say you can’t drive when that goes bad and i drove for a good hour and a half after.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Check Out Will Robinson's Signature Thread - Video on "How to Investigate the Class 2 Network" for Instructions on how to take down ALL of the System Modules that use the Network at the Two Splice Packs:

One under the Driver's Side Dash Kick Panel...

UNDERDASHSPLICEPACKJX205.jpg

And... One under a Carpet Flap beneath the Rear Passenger Side Seat...

UNDEREARPASGRSEATJX306.jpg

Then, following the scientific idea that you should, "Only Change ONE Variable at a Time"...Follow Will's Step-By-Step Instructions for How to Test and Bring each Individual Module Splice Pack Connection Back On-Line ...gradually... until you find the Problem Module.

THIS Video is a *Keeper* that emphasizes the point that ANY Module can affect or Bring Down the ENTIRE Class 2 Network if it has internal shorts or other failures because... The Class 2 Network functions with ALL Modules communicating on a Single Network Wire.

Last edited:
Reactions: budwich

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan
Check Out Will Robinson's Signature Thread - Video on "How to Investigate the Class 2 Network" for Instructions on how to take down ALL of the System Modules that use the Network at the Two Splice Packs:

One under the Driver's Side Dash Kick Panel...
View attachment 111802

One under a Carpet Flap beneath the Rear Passenger Side Seat...

View attachment 111803

Then, following the scientific idea that you should, "Only Change ONE Variable at a Time"...Follow Will's Step-By-Step Instructions for How to Test and Bring each Individual Module Splice Pack Connection Back On-Line ...gradually... until you find the Problem Module.

THIS Video is a *Keeper* that emphasizes the point that ANY Module can affect or Bring Down the ENTIRE Class 2 Network if it has internal shorts or other failures because... The Class 2 Network functions with ALL Modules communicating on a Single Network Wire.

I actually ended up getting it started.. I turned the key to the on position then I turned my headlights off by switching the lever to the left. The car started probably 4 times. I then went on with life and came back to the car for the same problem. Windows, locks and everything were working now they aren’t. Tried the same thing but it won’t work. I’m at a loss of words. Was able to pull codes:
p0976

p0787

p0973

p2769

p2764

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Post #5 in @Realism 's Epic "GROUNDS" Thread describes WHY this can happen to a "T" ...BECAUSE ... The Left Head Lamp...The Fuel Pump Relay AND The Left Turn Signal ALL share a Common Ground that will draw EXCESSIVE AMPERAGE and cause the Fuel Pump Relay to DROP OUT if that Ground (G107) is BAD:

2002GROUNDWIRES.jpg
G107LOCATIONj.jpeg.jpg

:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: jmonica and mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's an issue with the wiring or.power to the transmission

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Try unbolting the Four Galvanized Post Fasteners holding the Harness Blocks to the bottom of the Power Distribution Center (Fuse Panel) then spray out BOTH sides with CRC Electrical Solvent and SNUG the arrangements back together again after they are Bone Dry:

PWRDISTCENTR.jpeg

CRCELECTRICALSOLVENT.jpg

On occasion... the Solid Copper Wire Traces fitted into the Plastic Inner Sandwich inside of the Power Distribution Center can *work harden* from engine vibrations and thermal variance... and Crack apart. With changing under-hood Heating and Cooling conditions... intermittent Starting and Shutdown Events can occur afterward.

There are several Threads here at GMTN that cover how to drill out the Four Connectors and gain access to that area. Then, by using a Bright Flashlight and a Magnifying Glass, such Copper Tracing Breaks can be located and repaired with Lead Solder. THIS is what this phenomena looks like:

TIGHTENTHESEDOWN.jpgFUSEOPPERBREAK2.jpgFUSECOPPERBREAK.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...AND... FUBAR'd Fuses...

Reactions: jmonica

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Definitely... These Attached Wiring Diagrams often prove helpful in finding the Proper Pin-Outs at the various connectors AND their Harness Color - Coded Wiring, too. Note that some of these Diagrams originated in other Threads as penned and linked by @TJBaker57 's Excellent Contributions.

THIS particular one is for the BCM.... The Source B+ Voltage at 12.6 Volts DC comes through and into the BCM at the C1 Connector Pin-Out A3 via a Solid Orange Wire -- HOT AT ALL TIMES --- reaching back into the Under-Hood Fuse Block on the C2 Connector protected there by the 10 AMP Fuse in Position 31 and ID'd as "TBC1" of the Power Distribution Center (Fuse Box) Layout Diagram linked above.

The BCM Unit Ground has its attachment point located at G302 on the Lower Left "B" Pillar of the SUV and it likewise feeds into the Body Control Module on the C1 Connector as a Solid Black Wire at the Pin-Out B11 and ID'd as "NCA" sharing its Ground with the Data-Bus Ground of S302 as per @Realism 's Epic Grounds gathered by @jmonica and shown in the attached PDF. You can see BOTH of these connections right on THIS Diagram below:

TRAILBLAZERBCMDIAGRAM.jpeg

Attachments

• TBCLASS2NETWORK2.jpg
    TBCLASS2NETWORK2.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 0
  • TBCLASS2NETWORK.jpg
    TBCLASS2NETWORK.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200707-185127~01.png
    Screenshot_20200707-185127~01.png
    692.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 148231-93de38028044416ddef5aea7be361db3.jpg
    148231-93de38028044416ddef5aea7be361db3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 90SCORVETTESPLICEPACK.png
    90SCORVETTESPLICEPACK.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FINAL Envoy 4.2L Ground Locations.pdf
    461.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It's never a waste of time when the OP closes the loop by adding new knowledge. The next peeps facing this similar conundrum... will thank you for explaining what you've discovered. :>)

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
...AND... FUBAR'd Fuses...
Yep. I can concur with this. I had a fuse that tested fine in the fuse panel /block. It looked fine (Not blown or burnt out) when removed, but one of the "legs" was broken in a place that you couldn't see the break, so it was causing an intermittent problem.

The lesson I learned was that if I have an intermittent problem on a known circuit, don't just test the fuse in place, but rather pull it out and closely examine it. I chased that problem for hours and just happened to find it by chance. I leaned over the engine compartment to do something and with my hand on the fuse block, I just happened to move the fuse in a way that caused it to disconnect (or reconnect I forget). Best of luck!

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online