2001 Tahoe throwing multiple codes after fixed transmission leak.

DESSKI

Original poster
Nov 6, 2015
Sherman Oaks, California
Recently had fix a leaky gasket trans pan twice within 2 months. 1st fix it ran fine and had no SES light. 2nd fix and it keeps blowing a 10amp fuse located on the drivers side fuse box with all theses codes...
p0740,p0753,p0758,p0785 and p1860
The car is in limp mode with a SES light. Also some of the instrument gauges aren't functioning along with the gear selector isn't lit. I replaced the ignition switch but didn't fix the issue.

The car is 15 yrs old and I'd hate to take it to the dealership if it's some other DIY fixable issue.
Anyone experience or can direct me in the right direction?
Thanks

Last edited:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Since those are all electrical codes and you keep blowing fuses... Have you gone back to check and see if you pinched a wire and it is shorting out?

DESSKI

Original poster
Nov 6, 2015
Sherman Oaks, California
Further inspection of the transmission revealed tranny oil leaking out of electrical plug connector on the passenger side of the transmission housing. I wiggled the connection and it's very loose. There's oil all over the connector. I also notice I overfilled the transmission with too much fluid.
Is this plug supposed to be tight fitting with a seal?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, to keep out the elements and prevent corrosion. Sounds like this connector is at fault. Maybe try to clean it up and see if it works again.

Reactions: djthumper

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
mityvac.jpeg Is it possible that the PCM is holding different readings Before vs. After the repair(s) ? Perhaps a $99.00 GM CASE Learn would do the trick?

I did a one man R&R of the 4L60E Tranny in my son's 2002 TB in December of 2014 and I SWEAR this device was a life saver when I way overfilled the transmission. Well worth the $$$ and has many applications to evacuate fluids from radiators, gear boxes oil changes, too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFJM14/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No. CASE relearn is for crankshaft/camshaft angles. Maybe a reset might help (30 min. battery disconnect) but I doubt it. Codes usually cancel themselves out after a couple of drives if the condition is gone.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe but lets start the easy and cheap way first. Could be the harness outside the tranny.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a feeling that after the last time you opened the tranny, a wire either got pinched or that plug disturbed in some way. The fact that the fuse is blowing would point to that. Time to drop the pan and check the wiring and plugs. Also replace the seal for that plug since it is leaking. You might have to replace the whole internal harness as posted in post #7.

Reactions: djthumper

DESSKI

Original poster
Nov 6, 2015
Sherman Oaks, California
View attachment 72762 Is it possible that the PCM is holding different readings Before vs. After the repair(s) ? Perhaps a $99.00 GM Case Learn would do the trick?

I did a one man R&R of the 4L60E Tranny in my son's 2002 TB in December of 2014 and I SWEAR this device was a life saver when I way overfilled the transmission. Well worth the $$$ and has many applications to evacuate fluids from radiators, gear boxes oil changes, too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFJM14/?tag=gmtnation-20

I have this and its been invaluable. What is a GM case learn?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
CASE= Crankshaft Angle Sensor Error. Has nothing to do with the tranny at all.

DESSKI

Original poster
Nov 6, 2015
Sherman Oaks, California
Update:
Had to replace wiring harness that has the tcm, 2 shift solenoids inside the transmission plus that stupid leaky connector on the topside of tranny that kept dropping into the tranny. Nearly $500 total for parts & labor.

It seems like all those codes tripped because of the wiring connector/ harness on top being soak in tranny fluid. It also tripped a 10 amp fuse. Fuse box located on side of drivers dash. One of the A shift solenoids was bad possibly from me pinching the wire it connects to when installing the pan. The repair could have cost much less but it was smarter to replace the entire inside harness to rule out any more problems.

I've decided to hold onto the Tahoe a bit longer since it's paid for it just needs some more TLC. So I'll be on here more frequently.

Thanks to all that replied to help a newbie out.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That is great news... I know that these kinds of repairs can lengthen your shadow over time until they get resolved but in the end... you can stand tall and feel a great sense of satisfaction that you solved it... You fixed it ...and THAT is extremely gratifying!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Here isi the ATSG Comprehensive 4L60E-4L80E Trouble Code Diagnostics Bible:

Attachments

• 4L60E_80E_CODE_BOOK.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: christo829

Forum Statistics