Car Suggestions

Wahugg

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well I hate to be saying this, but in lieu of the rising gas prices, and my increasing daily commute I find myself going through an 18 gallon tank in about 4 to 5 days. That's really starting to crunch down on my wallet, and at a time where saving money is crucial due to college coming next year.

When it comes to cars I am lost at any good brand names or models. I am very knowledgeable about trucks any anything heavy hauling related, but when it comes to cars i am very illiterate.

Basically I am looking for something that gets about 25-30 mpg mixed city and freeway. It must be roomy enough for a 6,4 male, and cost somewhere around 10k used (value the dealer gave me trade in on the tb). Other than that everything is livable with. I would prefer a manual, and maybe something with a turbo but that's more for the sake of having fun. Also rear wheel drive, and a 2005~+ model would be preferable.

I have found the VW Golf turbo to be a fun and peppy car to drive around, but it is a little small for me and with all the long road trips I do fatigue will become a big problem. Mustangs are not for me. Just to many of them on the roads, and the models that do appeal to me are out of my price range.

Thanks for any suggestions

-Wahugg

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Sounds like you have two different missions, You want good gas mileage, but you also want a RWD car thats fun to drive. You said no mustangs(they would not get you the mileage any ways) If the golf is too small, then so are the Honda/Toyota/Ford equivalents. Next size up is Malibu/Fusion/Camery/Accord, and none of them have turbo or rwd or fun to drive. Chrys 300/Charger is rwd and v8 but no manual trans(even in the srt-8) New Camaro/Challanger are out of your price range. So I dont know what to suggest. <shrugs>

I would stay away from VW, they are known for their terrible electronics. Can you find a 3-series BMW in your price range?

Wahugg

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The turbo and RWD is more of a preferred thing. If their not there then I'm not going to cry about it, but they would be nice.

And I thought some of those Inline 4 turbos were pretty efficient and peppy as heck. At least the golf was, but the size is a killing factor for me.

Thanks for reviewing my post a bit
-Wahugg

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
I can only suggest gm.... Not too versed on other makes.

Cobalt ss?

Depending on year, it will either have a turbo or supercharger (earlier years had the blower). Comes with a manual trans, also may be in the price range depending on dealer and/or private party, and is within your mpg range. Fwd though.

I've driven a few, and the leg room should be adequate.

My gripe, the driver's side massive blind spot.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Wahugg said:
Well I hate to be saying this, but in lieu of the rising gas prices, and my increasing daily commute I find myself going through an 18 gallon tank in about 4 to 5 days. That's really starting to crunch down on my wallet, and at a time where saving money is crucial due to college coming next year.

When it comes to cars I am lost at any good brand names or models. I am very knowledgeable about trucks any anything heavy hauling related, but when it comes to cars i am very illiterate.

Basically I am looking for something that gets about 25-30 mpg mixed city and freeway. It must be roomy enough for a 6,4 male, and cost somewhere around 10k used (value the dealer gave me trade in on the tb). Other than that everything is livable with. I would prefer a manual, and maybe something with a turbo but that's more for the sake of having fun. Also rear wheel drive, and a 2005~+ model would be preferable.

I have found the VW Golf turbo to be a fun and peppy car to drive around, but it is a little small for me and with all the long road trips I do fatigue will become a big problem. Mustangs are not for me. Just to many of them on the roads, and the models that do appeal to me are out of my price range.

Thanks for any suggestions

-Wahugg

Where the hell you go for a 10k trade-in value??? I got offered 5700 for mine :eek: Its an 04 with 86k on it.

Wahugg

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Bobby Layman's Chevy on the West side of Columbus. The tb is the LT (should be ltz minus nav, entertainment, and rims) and has all the maintenance records. The inside and outside clean right up due to great floor mats and a very liberal amount of wax to protect the paint from the mud. The biggest plus is that my parents have been friends there for around 30 years now and knows the main supervisor. Basically they said that if I do a full service to it right before I trade it in, they will only charge me what they would charge the person who buys it.

-Wahugg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have a few suggestions for you..

2004- last year made Pontiac Grand prix. Either in the GTP V8 or V6 Supercharged. Both get mid 20's for fuel mileage. I would personally lean more to the V8 since it doesnt require premium gas.

2006-2008 Ford Taurus. Not a exciting drive, or peppy, but they do get the job done well, and can be had at a decent price with good miles.

Past that, Ford Fusion V6. Arent powerful, but fun to drive. Reliable as a Ford can be.

I would still lean to the V8 Grand Prix. They are just balls to the wall FUN!

EDIT: I think you can get the V8 also in the Grand Prix's sister cars.. The Impala, and the Monte Carlo.

If you want a bit newer, and can shop around for the right one. The Impala's with the 3.9 V6 are no slouch. Not FAST, but peppy.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
kardain said:
I can only suggest gm.... Not too versed on other makes.

Cobalt ss?

Depending on year, it will either have a turbo or supercharger (earlier years had the blower). Comes with a manual trans, also may be in the price range depending on dealer and/or private party, and is within your mpg range. Fwd though.

I've driven a few, and the leg room should be adequate.

My gripe, the driver's side massive blind spot.

:iagree: but some of the early SS's ARE NOT boosted, but just have a 2.4 instead of the 2.2 in the base car.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
I had a 1998 z-28 LS1 with the 6 speed. I did some long trips in it and stayed below 75 and got up to 30mpg on trips. Around town if i acted like i had some since i was in the low 20's. I was 6'1" 290 at the time i owned and fit just fine.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have been looking for a f-body 6 speed for a commuter car. My last TA got 27 mpg and was a blast to drive. 50K in 2 years and nothing but oil fuel and tires needed. They are older, but nice ones are out there.

With the interest rates on New...the Cruze and Sonic can be had cheap and get 40 mpg. Some are turbo.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I have been looking for a f-body 6 speed for a commuter car. My last TA got 27 mpg and was a blast to drive. 50K in 2 years and nothing but oil fuel and tires needed. They are older, but nice ones are out there.

With the interest rates on New...the Cruze and Sonic can be had cheap and get 40 mpg. Some are turbo.
The Cruze is a sharp little car. I had thought about it for us but it is a little small for a family car. We may look at a Malibu this fall.
I'm unsure if the Cruze would fit a 6'4 guy or not comfortably for a commuter cart.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Chevy Spark for best mileage in a Chevy! MSRP new $12K

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
As tall as you are, I've got to think you pretty limited. If you are looking for bang for the buck and dirt cheap plus big enough to fit, take a look at the Ford 500. It was a gigantic flop (until they re-renamed it the Taurus) and is a lot of car for practically nothing. I've got a buddy who is 6'6 who i'm guessing nobody has ever said a cross word to but he is limited to really large cars and full sized suv's. He said the old body style Bonneville, Pre 2000 was ok but the newer body style was too small. Pretty sure that is similar to the newer Impala and Monte Carlo cocpit wise. I like the Chrysler 300C but they seem to keep a little more residiual value and of course the Hemi, although suprisingly good mileage, won't cut it.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Me007gold said:
I would stay away from VW, they are known for their terrible electronics. Can you find a 3-series BMW in your price range?

I've had a '95 Golf, a '97 Jetta and currently own a '04 Passat. Whilst VW do have their share of issues, electrical gremlins are not a weak spot that I'm aware of. :confused:

Do you want this second vehicle to be a grind-out-the-miles commuter, or are you prepared to be an enthusiast with it. I ask because I wouldn't recommend ANY turbo car to a non-enthusiast. They are way more civilized than they ever used to be, but they still need more care and attention than their normally aspirated cousins.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
My brother is 6'4" and 220lbs and in his 08 VW Jetta he can sit with the seat really far back and comfortable for him PLUS I can sit behind him just fine and Im 6'0". Before he got the Jetta, he and my dad test drove the Civic, Accord, Cobalt, Focus, and Corolla. The Jetta was the only one he could actually get a comfortable seating position in AND have someone be able to sit behind the drivers seat. Heck, I think when I drive the Jetta there's more room behind the drivers seat than there is in my SS!

My family has converted to mostly VWAG cars, my dad has an 03 A6 3.0 with 125k that needs new cats and I replaced the HID components last August, my mom has a 10 Audi Q5 3.2 that has less than 20k on it and is flawless, and my brother has his 08 Jetta 2.5 with 33k. Im the lone one out with the SS, the 02 is my brothers winter ride out in Montana now.

What Im trying to say is that we've had good luck with VW/Audis in terms of electrical and overall reliability, the only thing on my dads A6 that had to be replaced under warranty was the fuel pump at 30k and he keeps up with scheduled maintenance.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My mom's 06 Jetta has about 210K on it and has been fairly reliable, but it is a TDI. Recently it has cost some money, but for 190K it was cheap on maintenence; however my dad said even though he has owned diesels in the past...he wont do it again as the up charge for the TDI and the higher fuel cost and the maintenence costs took over 150K miles break even. He said he would do gas on any future cars.

That said...My dad and I both hate driving or being in the Jetta. Even loaded with leather the seats suck. Cant get a good comfortable postion. Anything over an hour and I just want out of it. My mom loves it, but she is short and the movable wheel and seat work to her advantage. They have driven the crap out of it, but my dad was an old school VW guy and is not looking for another VW to replace this one.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Look for an HHR SS without a sunroof. Good head room for a guy like you. Lots of cargo space. Great mileage. And tons of fun to drive.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
DocBrown said:
Look for an HHR SS without a sunroof. Good head room for a guy like you. Lots of cargo space. Great mileage. And tons of fun to drive.

I drove an HHR for about a month last year while the Rainier was on its three plus month hiatus. I have so to say, and this is coming from someone that drove a minivan for a few years, it was the most embarassing piece of crap i've ever driven. It was clown car red, tiny back seats and I've never had to floor a car so much in my life just to get around on the highways. It had a 4 cylinder. The saving grace of this piece of garbage was the consistend 39 mpg's it got. Best mileage i've ever experienced. I must have gotten the most basic model and in the worst color. Even my 10 and 6 year old boys at the time were amused. If I had a gun to my head, had very little budget and needed good mileage, I'd consider an HHR in some other color with at least one optional piece of equipment. I have to say that is was really the opposite of spacious even with its Heritage High Roof.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Jkust said:
I drove an HHR for about a month last year while the Rainier was on its three plus month hiatus. I have so to say, and this is coming from someone that drove a minivan for a few years, it was the most embarassing piece of crap i've ever driven. It was clown car red, tiny back seats and I've never had to floor a car so much in my life just to get around on the highways. It had a 4 cylinder. The saving grace of this piece of garbage was the consistend 39 mpg's it got. Best mileage i've ever experienced. I must have gotten the most basic model and in the worst color. Even my 10 and 6 year old boys at the time were amused. If I had a gun to my head, had very little budget and needed good mileage, I'd consider an HHR in some other color with at least one optional piece of equipment. I have to say that is was really the opposite of spacious even with its Heritage High Roof.

I think the panel version looks better then the 4 door

3060000000051508.JPG

Feb 24, 2012
We got for my wife, new in '08, a VW Passat Wagon. It has a 6 spd manual, 2.0 turbo. It has been as trouble free as any other new car (a few little knicknacks fixed under warranty, but nothing major). It is an absolute pleasure to drive. It's quick, roomy (I'm 6'3/250), comfortable, handles great, and easily taps 32mpg if you can leave the cruise at 70 and not go faster. (but it WILL go faster....... :biggrin:) Combined city/highway average for us is 24. Highway only I managed 36 once... but what a slow trip.

It's only downside is that it requires synthetic oil and premium fuel. Personally I would change the oil more frequently than the 10K factory spec. Also to do the rear brakes I had to get a VAG-COM computer to release the rear caliper pistons (or else pay the stealership even more). Those are it's only downsides. Oh, the dealership says you can run it on 87 octane with no problem, but the owners manual 'recommends' but does not require 91 octane. So technically you can run it on 87 but I wouldn't. You can tell the difference in the butt dyno when you use low octane.

4 years later and we still love everything about this car. Drove it from Boston to Michigan last summer on vacation with a roof box on top for extra storage (family of 4 for two weeks) and it still got 31 mpg at 75.

People give VW a bad rap on electronics, I definitely had some electrical issues with my 200K mile 84 VW rabbit diesel, but more New England's fault than VW's fault on a high mile car. We've had no problems with this car and once it's paid off next year expect it to be a real keeper. Currently it's rolling with 60K on the odo and we love every mile.

I don't know if you can get one for 10K but the '08 enlargement/redesign is worth looking for IMO.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
I think the panel version looks better then the 4 door

3060000000051508.JPG

Much more heritagy. I get the sense the operative word is cheap here. HHR is amazingly cheap just a couple years old. I find GM's depreciate nice and fast.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wahugg said:
Well I hate to be saying this, but in lieu of the rising gas prices, and my increasing daily commute I find myself going through an 18 gallon tank in about 4 to 5 days.

You don't want to know how fast I burn through a tank if that makes you feel any better :crazy:

I don't know much about VWs but my coworker has a jetta and it breaks regularly. Usually stupid stuff too. He's not too fond of that car.

Wahugg

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for all the ideas and replies so far.

I have given up on a RWD car with economy. It's just not gonna happen. :frown: Now I'm just looking at little "SUV"'s that have a turbo, but another car in particular has caught my eye.

I am beginning to look at the Mazda Speed3. That little bugger is impressive!! 263 Hp @ 5,500rpms; 280 ib-ft @ 3,000 rpms, and a stock 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds. DOHC, VVT, and 16 valves! It's starting to look like a minuature I6 :wootwoot: Plus it has a 6 speed manual! I went and test drove one today just to see how it rides, and let me tell you.... it was nice and smooth and peppy. Plus it gets around 18 exclusively in the city, and around 25 to 26 freeway so that sounds plenty good to me. The tank is also 16 gallons so I won't have to pull over and fill up all the time either on longer road trips. It's isn't to big, but seeing how I am going to be moving off the farm, and be in an out of state college, that suites me just fine. Just enough room for me and a date, or a couple of friends.

But it is out of my price range, hopefully I will be able to earn enough on the side this summer off the farm to cover the rest off the cost (18k-10k=8k).

But I am still open to ideas just in case I might have missed something a bit cheaper and just as fun!

Thanks again all!

-Wahugg

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
navigator said:
The Cruze is a sharp little car. I had thought about it for us but it is a little small for a family car. We may look at a Malibu this fall.
I'm unsure if the Cruze would fit a 6'4 guy or not comfortably for a commuter cart.

The cruze has more room than the malibu. Im 6'3 280lb and i fit good in the cruze. I wanted a malibu but my head hit the top.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Wahugg said:
Thanks for all the ideas and replies so far.

I have given up on a RWD car with economy. It's just not gonna happen. :frown: Now I'm just looking at little "SUV"'s that have a turbo, but another car in particular has caught my eye.

I am beginning to look at the Mazda Speed3. That little bugger is impressive!! 263 Hp @ 5,500rpms; 280 ib-ft @ 3,000 rpms, and a stock 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds. DOHC, VVT, and 16 valves! It's starting to look like a minuature I6 :wootwoot: Plus it has a 6 speed manual! I went and test drove one today just to see how it rides, and let me tell you.... it was nice and smooth and peppy. Plus it gets around 18 exclusively in the city, and around 25 to 26 freeway so that sounds plenty good to me. The tank is also 16 gallons so I won't have to pull over and fill up all the time either on longer road trips. It's isn't to big, but seeing how I am going to be moving off the farm, and be in an out of state college, that suites me just fine. Just enough room for me and a date, or a couple of friends.

But it is out of my price range, hopefully I will be able to earn enough on the side this summer off the farm to cover the rest off the cost (18k-10k=8k).

But I am still open to ideas just in case I might have missed something a bit cheaper and just as fun!

Thanks again all!

-Wahugg

Speed3 needs premium fuel dosnt it? How about the Speed6? Turbo, 6 spd, AWD

Wahugg

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
Speed3 needs premium fuel dosnt it? How about the Speed6? Turbo, 6 spd, AWD

It only costs an extra $3.20 per tank if you fill up with premium. And the fuel efficiency will save much much much, more than that, so it works out just fine. I'll look into the speed 6 as well.

Thanks for pointing that out!

-wahugg

pennywise

Mar 28, 2012
I would reccomend the Ford panther platform. Crown Vic, Grand Marquis or Town Car. Stay away from the town Car it's alot heavier dur to extra insulation and such. They get mid 20's no the highway and low 20's in town. If you ever get the itch there are endless mods available for the drivetrain. You may have to do some fab work. 2004 or newer as anything older will have intake problems. The only real problem with the engine is they have a tendency to shoot out spark plugs which can cost $1000s to fix. The cam phasers go out sometimes but thats not too expensive.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
pennywise said:
I would reccomend the Ford panther platform. Crown Vic, Grand Marquis or Town Car. Stay away from the town Car it's alot heavier dur to extra insulation and such. They get mid 20's no the highway and low 20's in town. If you ever get the itch there are endless mods available for the drivetrain. You may have to do some fab work. 2004 or newer as anything older will have intake problems. The only real problem with the engine is they have a tendency to shoot out spark plugs which can cost $1000s to fix. The cam phasers go out sometimes but thats not too expensive.

Was in Arizona recently and the only car left on the rental lot was about a dozen of the Crown Vics since the old folks love them out there. They have the best technology the 1980's had to offer. It was actually comical to see how outdated these nearly new were. The 4.6 liter got pretty bad mileage. I was hoping for mid 20's but it just couldn't get there and in town was typical V8, mileage. The plus side was a family of 4 could fit in the trunk.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
4Q2 Motorsports