Amazon Product .CA Hayden 2851 Thermal Fan Clutch

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Last edited:

Jeffboy

Mar 23, 2015
Just to confirm ... This Fan Clutch will work fine on a 2002 Trailblazer but the check engine light will come on? I then can choose to get the dealer to tune out the code or just live with the check engine light on?
Also ... is there free shipping even if I don't have Amazon Prime???

Jeffboy

Mar 23, 2015
Went to checkout in Amazon and it is free shipping ... shipping 1 week ... Prime gets you free 2Day shipping.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Dealer will not delete the code

Jeffboy

Mar 23, 2015
Ordered one and will live with the Cel on for now. Tried locating a used clutch ... but unless it came from a 06/07 then you don't know if you've got a good one ... or just a old style replacement non acdelco. Hayden clutch seems to have good rep ... for $109 Cad ... worth the risk and cel light on. Used clutches were more.
THANKS

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Get tune through PCMofNC and delete the light. They will likely have a nice Black Friday sale.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just to confirm ... This Fan Clutch will work fine on a 2002 Trailblazer but the check engine light will come on? I then can choose to get the dealer to tune out the code or just live with the check engine light on?
Also ... is there free shipping even if I don't have Amazon Prime???

As mentioned, dealer won't do this. Only a tuner like Limeswap can. And get a performance tune at the same time. All you'll get is the cell and fan codes.

Shipping is still free, just a bit slower. Prime just gets you 2 day shipping and other benefits, like online movies.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I'm really pretty sure that pre-05' if you unplug the fan you get "reduced engine power" which is not really derivable. My 04' did that the other day until I restarted the truck. Get the tune first!

My 2005 did not do that when I drove without it for a week back in the day....

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You must of had old software or something, I drove mine with the fan unplugged, no issues here. Some get that when there is an internal short in the fan.

Reactions: Locksmith

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In 2008+ models, GM dropped the EV fan design entirely, going back to tried and true thermal only clutches. GM did not make a retrofit for this for 2002-2007 models so if you are to use this clutch, you must get your PCM tuned to remove the fan codes.

IMHO, it is well worth it to get the tune with this clutch.

Reactions: Locksmith

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen