Buying another TB or Envoy...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Jkust said:
Damn you and your logic. As for the low range advantages, I actualy am suprised at how capable the A4wd is for my non-off road usage. The 9-7 is also a good bit lower with lower profile tires and so you are likely never going offroad with one anyway. I'd have called someone a liar if they told me not being able to lock in low range would be so capable.

The 9-7 has an inch less ground clearance as well due to the factory lowered suspension. However I am sure it is plenty capable, but there are some things that demand low range and I wanted them to be in the know before really searching. You would likely be amazed at what mine has done in 2wd that I would have thought 4x4 was needed. I actually ran most of Dictum Ridge at Tecore in 2wd just to see if I could do it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Jkust said:
Damn you and your logic. As for the low range advantages, I actualy am suprised at how capable the A4wd is for my non-off road usage. The 9-7 is also a good bit lower with lower profile tires and so you are likely never going offroad with one anyway. I'd have called someone a liar if they told me not being able to lock in low range would be so capable.

Is the 9-7 lower because of the tires? Or, like the SS, because of the springs?
I thought the tires were all the same diameter.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I'm glad you mentioned the low range capabilities, as those are important to us when looking at a 4x4. I was shocked a few times at the ability to get myself out of a muddy situation in 2wd, where most cars and other SUV's would have had issues.

This is my first 4x4 vehicle, and I have been in love with it from day one. I have only ever had LS in the Rendezvous and it sucked hardcore, I mean the truck was horrible to begin with, but it was very scary driving that thing around town after a little snowfall. Every time I would go to take off from a stop sign or traffic light, it would have issues slipping on the snow and ice, and when the LS kicked in, it yanked the vehicle viciously to the right. I had ended up in a few precarious situations in that vehicle, and when I had the chance to leap on a different vehicle, I did it without any regrets.

I still slip and slide around in the Envoy, but it's easier to keep it straight when taking off. The only issue I really had with the Envoy when we first got it, was I didn't realize how much easier the ass end slides from under you when your slipping around a corner or turn. It took some time to get used to, but thankfully I was able to take it to an empty lot and play with it enough, learn how to correct it, and whatnot.

ETA- Now that you explained the idea behind GM not placing the locker and 3.73's in the denali, it makes complete sense. I guess I don't look at them as luxury SUV's really....but it does make perfect sense to me now.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Is the 9-7 lower because of the tires? Or, like the SS, because of the springs?
I thought the tires were all the same diameter.

Yes the tires are lower profile (but are 18" rims) and the suspension provides an inch or so lower as well. Parked in my garage next to the Rainier you can notice but the rear bumper of the 9-7 covers more of the spare tire and resonator too so it is a little of an illusion too.

Voymom said:
I still slip and slide around in the Envoy, but it's easier to keep it straight when taking off.

The newer ones with stabilitrac won't let it slide no matter how hard to you try. Even on an icy lake with zero traction, it forces the truck on a straight line. If you floor it around an icy corner you can get the slightest amount of skidding and then it staightens you out. Having had the 2004 Rainier with no stabilitrac but with 4AWD and the g80, it was a wild beast compared to our current two 360's. The G80 would kick on around an icy corner, then the AWD would kick in and force you in an unintended 180. Of course the tires were at the absolute minimum tread left

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djyoung2023

Members Online