Black chrome!!!!

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
Even though im sicker then ever i couldnt wait a couple more days to do this lol what do you guys think? Still have to do the clearcoating and mounting but this is pretty much what its gunna look like

Before pic

After 3 coats

After full can

What it looks like beside my truck
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 41

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
I bet your glad that you decided not to plasti dip the wheels! Those turned out good :thumbsup:. Did you have a lot of prep work to do?
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
Yep, they look pretty good, should look real nice mounted on your black truck, good job :thumbsup:
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
dmanns67 said:
I bet your glad that you decided not to plasti dip the wheels! Those turned out good :thumbsup:. Did you have a lot of prep work to do?

Not that much prep work, i just made sure they were degreased and nice and clean and then i started spraying

They look kindof blueish after i clearcoated them though... I hope it doesnt dry blue...
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Nice!
 

ItsOnVoy

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,401
Black chrome is the best! Very nice!!
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
Just got them back on the truck, I think my eyes might be decieving me or im still sick lol because in the pictures it looks great but it doesnt look right in person... :undecided:
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 27

ItsOnVoy

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,401
Ryda55555 said:
Does look very nice with red calipers tho

you wil grow onto them, they look good! I would do blue calipers with those
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
ItsOnVoy said:
you wil grow onto them, they look good! I would do blue calipers with those

I hope they do haha i'll leave it like this for a while and see, if not i'll be going a gloss black
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
One more pic before i go put away the jack and stands and head upstairs
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 28

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,483
Ottawa, ON
What product did you use? I would do mine like that too!
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
Mooseman said:
What product did you use? I would do mine like that too!

Duplicolor shadow chrome kit, costs $20 for the whole kit
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 180

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
I went to the grocery store to pick up a rotisserie chicken and my rims are greeeeen!!!! I dunno if im gunna keep it like this... I love the black chrome but the green has to go somehow... :no: you can sorta see the greenish hue but its actually a lot worse lol
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 24

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
TexazReece said:
I think they look GREAT.....might have to give the 18's a try with that:undecided:

It leaves a really distinct green hue, i read that some people like it but it really bothers me
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,483
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, if I had green wheels on my black truck, it would bother me too. Maybe the clear coat did something to them because they looked OK before.
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
Mooseman said:
Yeah, if I had green wheels on my black truck, it would bother me too. Maybe the clear coat did something to them because they looked OK before.

Yea it was fine before i clearcoated, but the clearcoat came in the kit so i dont know why it would mess up the finish like it did.
Im gunna try and do a graphite grey and clearcoat tomorrow to give it a similar contrast without the green
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
I was soo looking forward to it too lol nothing is worse than doing something you really wanted to do and it ending up not how you wanted it :frown:
 

ItsOnVoy

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,401
Ryda55555 said:
I was soo looking forward to it too lol nothing is worse than doing something you really wanted to do and it ending up not how you wanted it :frown:

I say forget the clear coat BS it came with and get clear paint from something different then them and try that out instead! Wet sand the rims till there a bit dull (2000 grit should work) and if needed re-spary a bit of the black and redo the clear and see if its any better that time with a different kind
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
CdnGMan said:
That kinda sucks dude, considering all the work you had to put into them...

I dunno if I even like the "black chrome" tho... :undecided:
I think going with a high-gloss black or something would look better IMO... :yes:

Yea im gunna give it a shot tomorrow, if it doesnt turn out i have 3 options
1.paint strip them back to chrome
2.powdercoat them
3.buy a set of repros for summer
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
ItsOnVoy said:
I say forget the clear coat BS it came with and get clear paint from something different then them and try that out instead! Wet sand the rims till there a bit dull (2000 grit should work) and if needed re-spary a bit of the black and redo the clear and see if its any better that time with a different kind

Im scared that maybe it was just the black chrome drying into a green because other people have said their chrome turns green too, im gunna try either a black or gunmetal tomorrow and see how it goes, right now i feel like a dummy driving around with wheels that look radioactive lool
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
You are not the only one. I have read many reviews on different sites with people having the same issue. Most of them end up stripping the paint off and getting their wheels powder coated according to their reviews. Maybe you might have better luck going with a different clear coat since you said the wheels looked fine prior to adding the clear. Gun metal would not look bad either. My 6th gen civic was black with gun metal wheels and looked good.
 

ItsOnVoy

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,401
Ryda55555 said:
Im scared that maybe it was just the black chrome drying into a green because other people have said their chrome turns green too, im gunna try either a black or gunmetal tomorrow and see how it goes, right now i feel like a dummy driving around with wheels that look radioactive lool

Gunmetal looks amazing also!! Me personally I do not like just straight up black rims! It looks like spares from a distance and gives the car rims no color or anything. Gunmetal is great its dark but you can still see the rims! This is what I think everyone thinks different of course! I do like how some people will have black and some other color to give the rims some contrast with the car. but if you do black glossy black will look good! Gives the rims some shiny with the truck you know
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
K here we go, bought myself a can of graphite. Hopefully it turns out good
I saw this chevy pickup in the parking lot with these rims, the owner was standing beside it so i had to do a stealth photo as i walked by lol this sealed the deal on the graphite color for me
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 12

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
Got the paint on now im put a couple coats of clear on
This paint has a really nice metallic finish, im glad i went with the graphite goes on smooth too
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 11

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
Ryda55555 said:
Got the paint on now im put a couple coats of clear on
This paint has a really nice metallic finish, im glad i went with the graphite goes on smooth too

These look nice! Just curious, have you thought about shaving the gmc logo? (sanding it off) Or maybe buying a black GMC logo to cover the other one?
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
DDonnie said:
These look nice! Just curious, have you thought about shaving the gmc logo? (sanding it off) Or maybe buying a black GMC logo to cover the other one?

Yea might have to, we'll see what they look like when they're on
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
They are on!!! And they look great :biggrin: wish the black chrome stayed this dark because i liked the hint of chrome but i cant be happier with the way they turned out
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 10

CdnGMan

Member
Nov 22, 2011
1,393
Toronto
I think it'll be interesting to see these up close & in person... I'm still not completely sold on them, but I wanna see them before I decide one way or another... :undecided:

I can't believe that your building allows you to do that kind of work in the underground though... LOL!!
Just the thought of lugging that kind of stuff up & down in the elevator makes me tired...

Do you have air tools for removing the rims, etc?? Or are you hand torquing the lug nuts???
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
CdnGMan said:
I think it'll be interesting to see these up close & in person... I'm still not completely sold on them, but I wanna see them before I decide one way or another... :undecided:

I can't believe that your building allows you to do that kind of work in the underground though... LOL!!
Just the thought of lugging that kind of stuff up & down in the elevator makes me tired...

Do you have air tools for removing the rims, etc?? Or are you hand torquing the lug nuts???

Hahaha i dont know if they allow it :rotfl: but whenever they see me im already putting everything back together lol

Im gunna take them outside and see what they look like in the sun after i go upstairs and change my clothes and clean up a little but they are glossy and metallic

As for the 2 ton jack and jack stands we have a storage in the basement but its still a pain to carry it back and forth

No power outlets down here, everythings manual labor. I have a 120 pc black chrome socket set, a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" torque bar that i carry up and down from the 5th floor + whatever paint, tape, paper, and light i need for the project

What can i say im young lol :raspberry:
 

Ryda55555

Original poster
Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
What it looks like in the sun, im happy with the turn out
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 15

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,392
Posts
638,780
Members
18,601
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online