3D Printed Modificiations

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
I don't know any better place to post this, or if I am allowed to post this, if I am not please remove.
To start off I don't want this to come off as advertising or selling anything, because at this point I am not. I am simply looking for ideas and what you guys would like to see done.

I have been 3D printing for almost a year now. If you don't know what 3D printing is, it is taking plastic and melting it into certain shapes/parts. What I am wondering is what would you guys like seen made for our vehicles? Custom interior parts, mounts, dash plugs, ect.

For an example I am currently working on a switch panel:
NO-11024.jpg
That will fit in here just like this one, only being 100% customizable.
My goal of this is to try and give these machines a more practical use and help make these items available at a far cheaper price.
For example once this piece is fully designed I will be able to sell it for $5-$10 while it retails for almost $70.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Semborski said:
I don't know any better place to post this, or if I am allowed to post this, if I am not please remove.
To start off I don't want this to come off as advertising or selling anything, because at this point I am not. I am simply looking for ideas and what you guys would like to see done.

I have been 3D printing for almost a year now. If you don't know what 3D printing is, it is taking plastic and melting it into certain shapes/parts. What I am wondering is what would you guys like seen made for our vehicles? Custom interior parts, mounts, dash plugs, ect.

For an example I am currently working on a switch panel:
NO-11024.jpg
That will fit in here just like this one, only being 100% customizable.
My goal of this is to try and give these machines a more practical use and help make these items available at a far cheaper price.
For example once this piece is fully designed I will be able to sell it for $5-$10 while it retails for almost $70.
I like it, but then where would I put my loose change?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing a print out of the access door for the cabin air filter, I'm sure others wouldn't either. :undecided:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I like this idea. I have thought about an overhead console switch panel myself. I know some guys have just gotten blanks, or added buttons to their existing ones up there.

littleblazer said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a print out of the access door for the cabin air filter, I'm sure others wouldn't either. :undecided:
Very good idea. Those things are hard to come by at the junk yards.

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
littleblazer said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but this part?
Spring2011022.jpg

Correction, I think I found what you would like here:
post-6032-0-97426600-1399408923_thumb.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Semborski said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but this part?
Spring2011022.jpg

Correction, I think I found what you would like here:
post-6032-0-97426600-1399408923_thumb.jpg
Yea, the second one is right. :yes:

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
littleblazer said:
Yea, the second one is right. :yes:
Looks simple enough, I would have to get my hands on one first to measure it up and what not. If I read correctly, they are from 03 and previous year tb?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Semborski said:
Looks simple enough, I would have to get my hands on one first to measure it up and what not. If I read correctly, they are from 03 and previous year tb?
I have one, but need a second one, if you would like I can draw one up and measure it and post up the dimensions? And yes 03 and prior. :yes:

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
littleblazer said:
I have one, but need a second one, if you would like I can draw one up and measure it and post up the dimensions? And yes 03 and prior. :yes:
If you could try that, that would be awesome.

Reactions: littleblazer

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Is clear/smoked plastic possible?
Clear/smoked turn signal covers and the light covers for the roof rack (like on the Northface edition) would probably be popular.

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Wooluf1952 said:
Is clear/smoked plastic possible?
Clear/smoked turn signal covers and the light covers for the roof rack (like on the Northface edition) would probably be popular.
This is an example of clear abs after extrusion. I haven't ever used it so I am not sure how much light would shine through exactly. I know that would be a difficult shape to print, let alone design without something to work off of but could be done potentially.
PET-sample.JPG

Reactions: dmanns67

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
After looking into it, it would appear to be pretty hard to do, included are the dimensions that matter.
20150103_1518501.jpg
20150103_1518281.jpg

Reactions: MAY03LT

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My scanner is dead, so that is the best I can do photo wise. I don't think it will work.

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Looks simple enough.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Semborski said:
This is an example of clear abs after extrusion. I haven't ever used it so I am not sure how much light would shine through exactly. I know that would be a difficult shape to print, let alone design without something to work off of but could be done potentially.
PET-sample.JPG
I'm not sure about the Northface lights, but the mirror turn signal covers from your TB could be used for the model. LED's would probably be needed for the blinkers.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have a door not in use if you wanted me to ship it to you as a template and you can ship it back once you get it done.

Reactions: MAY03LT

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
I have a door not in use if you wanted me to ship it to you as a template and you can ship it back once you get it done.
That would be a big help! Send me a PM and I can take care of shipping and what not.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

zsiya

Mar 13, 2014
I'm in for a switch panel. How does it mount to the console (pressure-fit, screws or 3M tape)?

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Bscfrank914 said:
I second clear/smoked caps for our roof racks. I'm currently searching for a pair as we talk.
If you really want. Look up how to make a vacuum forming table and get a sheet of fluorescent light diffuser plastic. Take your factory cap off and make a negative off that so you have something to form the plastic too.

edit: I would, but school is starting next week so am very busy especially with all these projects going on. If no one else tries once I have time I can.

zsiya said:
I'm in for a switch panel. How does it mount to the console (pressure-fit, screws or 3M tape)?
It would use the same mounting holes that the rubber insert uses.

Reactions: zsiya and Capote

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Yes. Hitch covers are printable. I am unsure of the ones people are always looking for.

Reactions: Capote

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Mounce said:
Here's what they look like.

-idk why one posted twice
It looks like it would be too wide to print in one shot. I can print 8" wide. I could print in two parts and glue them together and make a mold out of it however. That's a lot of plastic though, so a lot of wait time between fitment tests.

How are these secured? It doesn't look like you would be able to get a pin through it

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
snap tabs like this are what my one bowtie has

I also have a plain black cover that just has about 3 or 4 inches in that reciever so it stays put without pins or tabs.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have this hitch cap, which I used as a mount for my rear view camera. It has a few flexible ribs that hold onto the inside of the receiver. :twocents:

$_57.JPG

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Out of curiosity, do you have a rough estimate of cost of the door for the filters?

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
littleblazer said:
Out of curiosity, do you have a rough estimate of cost of the door for the filters?
I do not yet. Once I get it to measure up I'll know more but I'm guessing 10-20

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Sounds good. Every single junk yard I've gone to has had that stupid door pulled and it's annoying. Lol how many people know of this.

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Got the piece yesterday *everyone thank Hardtrailz* got some measurements and later out the basic design. Gotta add the screw supports and tidy everything up. I won't have much time to work on it until Sunday by then I hope to have a couple test pieces printed off.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thank you HARDTRAILZ. :hail:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online