3D Printed Modificiations

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
Will they be stronger than the 3/8 bolt n washer I currently employ to attach my crossbars?
No, but the main benefit to it is that it would be quick detachable. I know I would prefer to take my light bar off as well as if I get them strong enough to use for cargo.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Mounce said:
Here's what they look like.

-idk why one posted twice
Are you still going to make this trailer hitch cover? I'm interested....

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Am currently trying to source the 4x4 switch cover. Looking to make a gauge pod out of it. If anyone has one they are willing to part with in loan or sale please PM me.

Reactions: 68impalacp

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
if you can make the hitch cover i would imagine it would made of something soft and able to flex to fit inside so how about cup holder inserts too? also the turn signal mirror cover will be great i'm missing the drivers side :frown:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I still like the idea of the smoked luggage caps.

Another idea I'd like to suggest: When I use a USB adapter in my power sockets, they get in the way of using the cup holders. However, to the left of the power sockets is a recessed hole with some kind of empty screw thread, but nothing appears to go in there? It would be really nice to have a pair of USB ports sitting deep inside that hole, then I could wire in the 5V converter back behind the faceplate. I have one of these to start with, but the real trick is making a panel that will fit snugly inside the recess and not fall out when you pull on a USB cable.

419F96q0-QL.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
PS: there's supposed to be a screw there.

Stupid when people can't put stuff back together correctly with all of the screws. My dash trim was missing a few screws and the gauge cluster was missing one screw. :hissyfit:

Reactions: Sib and Trkdrvremt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:blush: I don't have any screws in my dash, they are ALL in the cup holder. That little pocket is a good spot, I installed my dummy switch for the parking brake signal to my HU. It's not really a pretty install, just a hole cut out, and then the switch epoxied to the backside of the panel. Would be cool if there was a cleaner, OEM looking insert that could be snapped into a square shaped opening or something. :undecided:

Reactions: BowtieLady

flap00

Apr 8, 2013
BlazingTrails said:
The reason it is vibrating is likely that it is full of leaves or a dead mouse. I would pull the fan and clean it out.
Ha. But oh, if it was a dead mouse, you'd KNOW it! :wink:

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
How about some sort of grille for the fog light holes on the LS bumpers. Groundshock made some a while back. I've tried to resurrect that thread with no luck. Could be made from aluminum and then polished or painted. They had a crosshatch pattern like the grille. Thoughts....

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
They could just be made in raw aluminum and let the end user decide if they wanted to paint or polish them. I wonder if some sort of plastic would work? It would definitely keep cost down and a majority of of us with LS bumpers have the black plastic grille anyway. I would really like to see this take off.

Anybody else interested?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think something like that could easily be lasered since they are just flat.

You can't 3D print aluminum :raspberry:

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
Please pardon my ignorance, grasshopper has much to learn about 3D printers. Black plastic about 1/8" thick should fit the bill. Im down for a set.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Hello eveyone, sorry I've been inactive most the year. I have a new partner and we are looking into all of these products and will hopefully have some good news in the next coming weeks!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
Mentioned it previously but how about grilles for the fog lights on the LS bumpers with a crosshatch pattern similar to the grille.

Kist

Jan 4, 2016
MN
Hello all! I am Semborski's business partner.
@Mypetropig, can you pm me a picture of the fog lights you want the grills made for, with a reference object, like a ruler in the picture? Also a picture of your grill you want it to match, with the same reference object?
@Shdwdrgn Can you also pm me a picture of this slot you want the USB ports to lock into, with a ruler for reference? I can't seem to find any images of the slot you are describing. How many ports were you thinking, and were you considering connecting them to a radio or sound system later on?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Just a quick spoiler of a few minutes work. There was no dimensions inputted and was just a soft sketch.
https://gyazo.com/e1fa01594f9fd05b1fa827f5cd143a40

As much of a sought after item this is, I would definitely go through with production. I see people on FB all the time asking about getting one. For the people who have them and are willing to sell, they want an ungodly amount of money. I have seen some go for upwards of $200.00. TBSS owners seem to be the ones in the highest demand for them.

Also, there is another OEM hitch cover for the GMC crowd. Instead of the bowtie, it has GMC. Just like the one posted in this thread, http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/gmc-envoy-fitted-tow-hitch-cover.14797/#post-481830

I can see both of these items being big money makers :yes:

@Kist Welcome to the forum :tiphat:

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
As much of a sought after item this is, I would definitely go through with production. I see people on FB all the time asking about getting one. For the people who have them and are willing to sell, they want an ungodly amount of money. I have seen some go for upwards of $200.00. TBSS owners seem to be the ones in the highest demand for them.

Also, there is another OEM hitch cover for the GMC crowd. Instead of the bowtie, it has GMC. Just like the one posted in this thread, http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/gmc-envoy-fitted-tow-hitch-cover.14797/#post-481830

I can see both of these items being big money makers :yes:

@Kist Welcome to the forum :tiphat:

Yeah i regret more than anything selling the trailblazer. It also makes test fitting a lot harder.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can always find someone that is competent enough to do test fits and provide good measurements to work from.

Reactions: Blckshdw and Capote

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
By chance does anyone have a roof rack cover like where the north face edition lights are? Just looking for a black one to do some testing with. Will pay shipping.

Reactions: Capote

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
Hello all! I am Semborski's business partner.
@Mypetropig, can you pm me a picture of the fog lights you want the grills made for, with a reference object, like a ruler in the picture? Also a picture of your grill you want it to match, with the same reference object?

Sorry for the delay. My computer died and having to do everything from a phone is a PITA. I will get somethings together and pm you asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
@Semborski @Kist

This is what I was talking about with the hitch covers. This was just posted the other day on the SS site. Most everybody selling one lists them for $150-$200. A lot of people post that they would be willing to pay $100. Not sure what your cost would be per unit though.

Screenshot_2016-01-14-01-55-45.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Capote

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Would a 3D printed cover be as durable as an OEM cover? Are the plastics used in both similar? Wondering how a 3D cover would perform out in the eliments, would the suns UV rays fade it any quicker than OEM? Will it warp if it gets too hot from the sun or be extra brittle in freezing temps? Just curious if a 3D printed cover would represent the same value as an OEM cover?

Sorry if I missed this info before.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Most of the plastics on our vehicles are either polypropylene (PP), ABS, or polycarbonate (PC) IIRC Those have melting temps between 300-350 *C so warping from sunlight or getting brittle compared to what we've got on our trucks now shouldn't be an issue, if the source of the 3D printed part used one of these. Well, as long as the parts have identical thicknesses, I should say.

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
@Semborski @Kist
I've tried to upload pics but keep getting a sever error. I sent you a pm and replied here in case you don't get it. A while ago a member Groundshock made some from stainless steel. I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link just to give you an idea.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Would a 3D printed cover be as durable as an OEM cover? Are the plastics used in both similar? Wondering how a 3D cover would perform out in the eliments, would the suns UV rays fade it any quicker than OEM? Will it warp if it gets too hot from the sun or be extra brittle in freezing temps? Just curious if a 3D printed cover would represent the same value as an OEM cover?

Sorry if I missed this info before.

:undecided: Most of the plastics on our vehicles are either polypropylene (PP), ABS, or polycarbonate (PC) IIRC Those have melting temps between 300-350 *C so warping from sunlight or getting brittle compared to what we've got on our trucks now shouldn't be an issue, if the source of the 3D printed part used one of these. Well, as long as the parts have identical thicknesses, I should say.

I had some trim rings made for the boat, they are partially submerged and in sunlight all day. The machines I'm used to use abs since it is easy to work with and shapes the best. They'll do just fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online