35's and Engine Cooling - moved from whoring

TBLS

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
So does anyone know where I can find a dual cooling fan. I have been told to run 35's I need to cut my fenders and get s dual cooling fan.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
TBLS said:
So does anyone know where I can find a dual cooling fan. I have been told to run 35's I need to cut my fenders and get s dual cooling fan.
I assume you are talking a trans cooler? PCMforless iirc sells full kits.

Reactions: dmanns67 and TBLS

TBLS

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I am guessing that's what it is. What I need to keep my motor from getting hot when pushing 35s.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
TBLS said:
I am guessing that's what it is. What I need to keep my motor from getting hot when pushing 35s.
You sure you're not talking about a dual E-fan setup?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
TBLS said:
PCMofNC sells a trans cooler and e-fans. If you are talking about the engine and coolant temp, you are talking about the e-fans.

Reactions: Porkins and Capote

TBLS

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Capote said:
You sure you're not talking about a dual E-fan setup?
dmanns67 said:
PCMofNC sells a trans cooler and e-fans. If you are talking about the engine and coolant temp, you are talking about the e-fans.
Whichever I need. I have no idea which i need, but whatever one or both to allow me to run 35s is what I am going to do.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Well if you wanna keep everything cool engine wise, E-fans. A trans cooler couldn't hurt, if you ever think you might tow something

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
TBLS said:
Whichever I need. I have no idea which i need, but whatever one or both to allow me to run 35s is what I am going to do.
Have you checked ORTB.com? Never heard of anyone having to install efans to run 35s. Who told you that? I am sure HT will know more than anyone for sure.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
35s need lower gears and a trans cooler. Figure a grand or two to do it right.

TBLS

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Capote said:
Well if you wanna keep everything cool engine wise, E-fans. A trans cooler couldn't hurt, if you ever think you might tow something
Oh I have plans of towing a lot of things.

dmanns67 said:
Have you checked ORTB.com? Never heard of anyone having to install efans to run 35s. Who told you that? I am sure HT will know more than anyone for sure.
I can't remember who told me that. It was someone from ORTB if I remember correctly.

HARDTRAILZ said:
35s need zero extra engine cooling
If that's the case then I won't do anything.

HARDTRAILZ said:
35s need lower gears and a trans cooler. Figure a grand or two to do it right.
If it's gunna take that much I'll just do the E-fan and trans cooler and run 33s. I'm just a stickler for big tires and lifted trucks. I'm obsessed with beefy, mean looking trucks. Call it little redneck country gal syndrome if you'd like but it's just as bad as my diesel obsession lol. Gotta love Prius repellent, mmmmmhmmmmmm. Weird I know.

Reactions: Capote

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
TBLS said:
Oh I have plans of towing a lot of things.

I can't remember who told me that. It was someone from ORTB if I remember correctly.

If that's the case then I won't do anything.

If it's gunna take that much I'll just do the E-fan and trans cooler and run 33s. I'm just a stickler for big tires and lifted trucks. I'm obsessed with beefy, mean looking trucks. Call it little redneck country gal syndrome if you'd like but it's just as bad as my diesel obsession lol. Gotta love Prius repellent, mmmmmhmmmmmm. Weird I know.
Really, there's absolutely no reason to get efans. Only people that have them are the guys that mod every single part of the vehicle and have disposable money or have a turbo and need the extra room. The OEM fan does a good job cooling the engine. What the other person wherever it was that told you that you needed an engine mod to run 35's was talking about a transmission cooler because the bigger tires will work the transmission harder and make it hotter. :tiphat:

TBLS

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Mounce said:
Really, there's absolutely no reason to get efans. Only people that have them are the guys that mod every single part of the vehicle and have disposable money or have a turbo and need the extra room. The OEM fan does a good job cooling the engine. What the other person wherever it was that told you that you needed an engine mod to run 35's was talking about a transmission cooler because the bigger tires will work the transmission harder and make it hotter. :tiphat:
Thank you for a straight forward answer. :tiphat:

Where was it that I needed to go to find one? Maybe I'll just scroll back through and find it?

Reactions: Mounce

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you only have 3.42 gears, 32" should be the max even with a transmission cooler. You have to consider the terrain you are in.

No one on ORTB said anything of needed E-fans. I recommend this conversation be taken to an actual Tech thread.

TBLS

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
djthumper said:
If you only have 3.42 gears, 32" should be the max even with a transmission cooler. You have to consider the terrain you are in.

No one on ORTB said anything of needed E-fans. I recommend this conversation be taken to an actual Tech thread.
Ok

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Considering Efans are less efficient cooling this platform I would not recommend them w bigger tires at all...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have 32s and the 3.42 gears and I definitely wouldn't want to go any taller without regearing the truck.

I'd like my next truck to have 3.73 even staying with 32s just because it would help the low RPM range a bit.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
on the street i didn't notice any problems with 3.42 and big tires other than speedo being off and a bit slow off the line. i monitored my trans temp and didn't see any spikes but i do have a trans cooler. I wouldn't want to tow or off road with 3.42 and anything over 32" personally.

other than cost of the front diff and rear, it's not a hard swap if you do the entire axle. I think 4.10 and ~34" puts you close to right on the speedo too

Reactions: AManders6

TBLS

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
So even 33's for tires is too big for 3.42 gears? With the trans cooler, is it easy to install? What kind of price am I looking at? I am gunna be towing a 19' (minimum) to a 22' travel trailer (max).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ouch. Pushing limit towing stock and tires/gearing combo pushes limit.

May 5, 2013
Do you have the 3.42 gears? It'll be listed on a sticker in the glove box. Look for GU6 (3.42), GT4 (3.73) or GT5 (4.10).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
She does.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reluctantly, I have to agree on the efan question even though I did it to my TB. The only thing I would recommend is if your current EV fan clutch fails, replace it with an '08 clutch, which is an old fashioned viscous clutch and get your PCM tuned. You can get the error codes taken out and also get a performance tune at the same time. Well worth it.

I have since put a viscous clutch back into the TB and don't plan on adding efans to the Saab. My biggest problem was getting a seamless and automatic operation of the efans with the A/C.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yep. Sucks. Regulator found easiest way is out through the top of engine compartment.

Reactions: tricguy007

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
"Easiest" being a relative term.

TBLS

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I think I'll roll 32's. I'm getting the transmission cooler added. I've tried and tried looking for the PCM tune but honestly have no idea what it is.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: TBLS and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online