3157 LED Reverse bulbs got installed.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I was working on my truck this afternoon and another project that got installed was reverse bulbs.

Long story here folks.
First, I have to tell you all that I'm spoiled because in my previous truck I installed 35w 5000k H11 HID bulbs in my taillight housings. Nothing beats HID's for backing up a dark gravel driveway in the bush after a 12 hour shift!

I have been kicking around some ideas to improve the backup lights on my Envoy. I noticed that there are some nice 4" round holes back there.

My first preference for backup lighting is installing some GE4509 Aircraft landing lights that I have laying around the shed from a previous project back there. But so far I havn't figured out a way to mount them yet. I think that come summer, I will take a serious look.

My second preference is installing HID's 35w 5000k bulbs in the existing housings. But again, I havn't had much time to look into making the bulbs fit. Possibly using automotive black 'Goop' to adhere the HID bulb to the housing? Anyways it's too cold and messy back there to do anything over the winter.

My temporary solution was to try LED lighting. Some guys here say it's ok.

So, I decided to experiment with different LED count bulbs.

I bought 42LED bulbs from HONG KONG;
[EBAY]200494561393[/EBAY]

And 60LED bulbs from a local vendor;
[EBAY]310341211962[/EBAY]

I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the bulb counts at all in brightness. Both bulbs have 12 forward facing LED's and I think that makes them even.
I left the ExtremeBrights installed.
I'll have more feedback after this week as I try them out. According to the pics, I'm not all that impressed so far.
Here are the pics.

The bulbs from HongKong;
3075-100-0844.jpg

3076-100-0845.jpg

The bulbs from ExtremeBright LEDs;
3073-100-0841.jpg

3074-100-0842.jpg

Here are the comparison pics; OEM bulbs first, then the ExtremeBrights.
3077-100-0857.jpg

3078-100-0858.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Looks awesome man!! Can never go wrong with SMD LED's :yes: I have simple 11 or 12 SMD ones in mine and they arent too bad!! I can only imagine how great the 42 are for you :eek: lol are you able to see with them good?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
06Envoy said:
My first preference for backup lighting is installing some GE4509 Aircraft landing lights that I have laying around the shed from a previous project back there. But so far I havn't figured out a way to mount them yet. I think that come summer, I will take a serious look.

Behind me, I think you may be person #2 to mention installing ACL's, let alone the GE4509's. I never installed mine.

I've always had problems with LEDs fron hong kong. They seem to get excessively dim through regular use.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i love my reverse led's.. my tails are tinted, but i left the revverse lenses clear so i could see at night when revering lol... heres a side by side comparison for mine.. they are just a standard 3157 led (i think just 24 forward facing led's)

[EBAY]350518909611[/EBAY]
obviously the light isnt amber lol.. but you get the idea of how the led looks...

2011-09-01200630.jpg

and this pic was taken while we were still contributing to the OS.. so forgive my decal :sadcry: lol

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Looks awesome man!! Can never go wrong with SMD LED's :yes: I have simple 11 or 12 SMD ones in mine and they arent too bad!! I can only imagine how great the 42 are for you :eek: lol are you able to see with them good?
Thanks!
I didn't leave the 42's in. I left the 60's in to try them out. I got home before it got dark out, so I don't know yet. I should know by next weekend if I like them or not. Wanna buy some slightly used 60's if I don't like them? LOL

DJones said:
Behind me, I think you may be person #2 to mention installing ACL's, let alone the GE4509's. I never installed mine...
I used the 6" version for driving lights on my old truck and I could light up the Hwy for 2 kms at least. :biggrin:
I figure the smaller 4" version would be just fine for backing up, and the manual 'your tailgating me..please stop' useage. :wink:
Did you resolve the mounting problem? Please share your knowledge!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
06Envoy said:
Thanks!
I didn't leave the 42's in. I left the 60's in to try them out. I got home before it got dark out, so I don't know yet. I should know by next weekend if I like them or not. Wanna buy some slightly used 60's if I don't like them? LOL

haha I would but I got LEDs chilling here at home and everywhere on the truck so I am good with them for now lol

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
i love my reverse led's.. my tails are tinted, but i left the revverse lenses clear so i could see at night when revering lol... heres a side by side comparison for mine.. they are just a standard 3157 led (i think just 24 forward facing led's)

obviously the light isnt amber lol.. but you get the idea of how the led looks...

2011-09-01200630.jpg

and this pic was taken while we were still contributing to the OS.. so forgive my decal :sadcry: lol

Wow! That's the kind of light output that I thought LED's would give me!
I noticed those have 24 forward facing bulbs. I think it's the # of forward facing bulbs that make the difference in light output.

Unfortunately, I also noticed that those bulbs woudn't work in an Envoy.
I didn't post it up, but I also bought a set of DDM's 3157 LED Bulbs. The forward round part doesn't fit in the Envoy's housing hole.
It looks like your 24 forward facing bulb also wouldn't fit in the Envoy hole.

However, I was going to use the extra 42's in my wife's TB. I may not. I may just order up a set of bulbs like yours!
Thanks man!

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Actually, I was just going to buy those for my wife.
I noticed that they says amber in the auction, but yours look white.
Are they white or amber? I think, Id want white.

Thanks man.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, i sw the amber part once i posted it lol... here are the whhite ones.. but you could also check out the store.. they have a ton of stuff..

[EBAY]350525009526[/EBAY]

and that sux about the Voy's.. i didnt know those style bulbs wont fit.. good tip... my friend has an '03 weiner dog XL.. good thing he didnt order these yet.. im going to have to tell him

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:

lol! Man how about posting a night pic in reverse? I've tried few but visibility really sux! I might be going for 24 facing if it's doing the trick for u! :biggrin:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm partial to the spider style lights myself. I haven't looked too closely at the Envoy reverse lights to know if they'll fit or not, but the arms fold in so they might. :undecided: 30 forward firing LEDs, 10 rear firing ones into the reflector bowl.

100_0180.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

100_0287.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
fadyasha said:
lol! Man how about posting a night pic in reverse? I've tried few but visibility really sux! I might be going for 24 facing if it's doing the trick for u! :biggrin:

I'll have to see if I have a pic, because if I don't, it will be a while for me to get one since she's tucked away in my garage for the winter..

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
I'll have to see if I have a pic, because if I don't, it will be a while for me to get one since she's tucked away in my garage for the winter..

man you should of had a 4x4 TB l6 not a SS. Didn't u know we'd cross paths sometime and ask for a pic in winter? :confused:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks good. I love my led reverse lights

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
yea, i sw the amber part once i posted it lol... here are the whhite ones.. but you could also check out the store.. they have a ton of stuff..
[EBAY]350525009526[/EBAY]
and that sux about the Voy's.. i didnt know those style bulbs wont fit.. good tip... my friend has an '03 weiner dog XL.. good thing he didnt order these yet.. im going to have to tell him
Good point about looking at the store. I didn't think of it. anyways, I purchased a set from your posted link. Thanks for sharing your info and pics!

Blckshdw said:
I'm partial to the spider style lights myself. I haven't looked too closely at the Envoy reverse lights to know if they'll fit or not, but the arms fold in so they might. :undecided: 30 forward firing LEDs, 10 rear firing ones into the reflector bowl.
Opps, looks like those spider lights also have a too big round head to fit into an Envoy lens. I discovered that at least on mine that the forward bit can't exceed the diameter of the base. At all. Which is a shame, cuz those look good!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
06Envoy said:
Good point about looking at the store. I didn't think of it. anyways, I purchased a set from your posted link. Thanks for sharing your info and pics!

Opps, looks like those spider lights also have a too big round head to fit into an Envoy lens. I discovered that at least on mine that the forward bit can't exceed the diameter of the base. At all. Which is a shame, cuz those look good!

I think the diameter reduces down to 1" when the arms are folded in (they're spring loaded) Hope the ones you ordered fit the bill.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
fadyasha said:
man you should of had a 4x4 TB l6 not a SS. Didn't u know we'd cross paths sometime and ask for a pic in winter? :confused:

:rotfl:, well there's only a few more months, then she'll be out. But here's a pic of it in the garage the day I installd them.. this is the only night pic I have now.. but you can get an idea...

2011-09-01201209.jpg

06Envoy said:

No problem man.. that's what we're here for.. the only thing I hate, is everyone itches my damn mod bug!!!:rotfl: that's what made me get my avalanche 3rd brake light, I will be getting my clear mirror lenses, and then converting to switchbacks and rear led's.. damn GMTN :crackup:.. and all I wanted to do was park the SS for the winter.. FAIL! Lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Boricua SS said:
... the only thing I hate, is everyone itches my damn mod bug!!!:rotfl: that's what made me get my avalanche 3rd brake light, I will be getting my clear mirror lenses, and then converting to switchbacks and rear led's...

:weird: At least I can safely say I had NOTHING to do with any of that!! :whistle: :dielaugh:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Blckshdw said:
:weird: At least I can safely say I had NOTHING to do with any of that!! :whistle: :dielaugh:

:rotfl::crackup:.. my man Carlton.. an inspiration to us all for LED's... one thing I can say.. at least it was inexspenssive for the little mods :crackup:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
... I will be getting my clear mirror lenses, and then converting to switchbacks...

Wait! We can put LED switchbacks in our mirrors? Cool! Please share those details!

Pics! Video!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
06Envoy said:
Wait! We can put LED switchbacks in our mirrors? Cool! Please share those details!

Pics! Video!

Haha.. well not that I'm aware of.. I meant switchbacks for the fronts.. and since my SS is a 1SS, it didn't come with mirror turn signals, so I'm doing the mod per the article on here.. but u can put leds in your mirror sockets.. but just a standard 194 from my understaning

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
06Envoy said:

Pics! Video!

Well, you can, this is something I'm working on. The 194 bulbs that would fit there stock, won't work since they are directional and would shine straight down. Gonna take a bit of work, and some wiring, but I've got it mapped out. Just need to make it happen. :yes:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Well, you can, this is something I'm working on. The 194 bulbs that would fit there stock, won't work since they are directional and would shine straight down. Gonna take a bit of work, and some wiring, but I've got it mapped out. Just need to make it happen. :yes:

Think I'm gonna need to ship my TB to where you're at to do all these led mods for me! or maybe can ship you here :tongue:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
fadyasha said:
Think I'm gonna need to ship my TB to where you're at to do all these led mods for me! or maybe can ship you here :tongue:

You might be better off to pay him to build the stuff for you and then if needed ship Carlton to you for a vacation/install. :yes:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:

[EBAY]350529228862[/EBAY]

I updated your Ebay listing. I just ordered bulbs like them here

[EBAY]280823489765[/EBAY]

Feb 16, 2012
I saw someone on a different forum install the below listed LED lights for reverse in a different truck and I was pretty impressed by the video. The guy had it wired to do Reverse function, and also wired in-line was an LED flasher:

Thread: 1995 Yukon
Fast-forward to 0:12 seconds
Video: 2012-01-13_08-23-06_98.mp4 video by Transamin85 - Photobucket
2012-01-13_08-28-53_464.jpg

3157 Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs

I also have LED Hide-A-Ways in my Reverse housing for fire department warning function, and want to find an LED that won't interfere with them:

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
That yukon is illegal on so many levels!!! There are people out there that do mods like that and ACTUALLY try to pull people over! There has been some stories of people like that and how they end up trying to pull some girls over and then that person ends up being a long time rap pest etc etc. Crazy world we live in :no:

Feb 16, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
That yukon is illegal on so many levels!!! There are people out there that do mods like that and ACTUALLY try to pull people over! There has been some stories of people like that and how they end up trying to pull some girls over and then that person ends up being a long time rap pest etc etc. Crazy world we live in :no:

Well I cannot speak for the owner of it, unless he has everything outfitted to be controlled independently, and different colors for different purposes, it may not, in fact, be illegal.

I don't know what else to tell ya! :bonk:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So, I took Boricua SS's advice and bought the LED's he suggested. His pics pushed me to try them. Thanks for taking the time to post them up! :thumbsup:

Yup, they are all that and more. :wootwoot:

I did a side by side of my old bulbs vs his new bulbs... No contest! The new ones are much much brighter.
I think it's all about the number of forward facing leds, not the side firing. :yes:

It's just a darn shame that they don't fit into an Envoy. :frown:

Anyways here is the pic of the new bulbs installed in my wife's TrailBlazer.
4198-img-20120218-142253.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Looks good!! :thumbsup: Looks like the Wifey needs some LED's on the inside also :yes:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Looks good!! :thumbsup: Looks like the Wifey needs some LED's on the inside also :yes:

Please stand by...

(I see that my stealth mode is activated and working...)
(The fresh clean lens might be a clue?)

EDIT: Done! Build thread has been updated. She got new LED Tails installed today!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
06Envoy said:
It's just a darn shame that they don't fit into an Envoy. :frown:

You could give the ones I ordered a try. They're only $3.19 and if they don't fit you'll have spares for wifey. A Drimal may make them fit

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
06Envoy said:
So, I took Boricua SS's advice and bought the LED's he suggested. His pics pushed me to try them. Thanks for taking the time to post them up! :thumbsup:

Yup, they are all that and more. :wootwoot:

I did a side by side of my old bulbs vs his new bulbs... No contest! The new ones are much much brighter.
I think it's all about the number of forward facing leds, not the side firing. :yes:

Glad I could be of some assistance :grouphug:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:

06Envoy said:
Please stand by...

(I see that my stealth mode is activated and working...)
(The fresh clean lens might be a clue?)

EDIT: Done! Build thread has been updated. She got new LED Tails installed today!

Aw Jeez... I missed your word..'inside'. Sorry. I thought you meant the taillights... I really have to stop posting while sipping from the wobbly pop. :crazy:

I did order up some LED's bulbs interior and exterior for both trucks based on the part #'s from your PM. :thumbsup:
Hopefully they will arive soon!

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Glad I could be of some assistance :grouphug:
Yup, I'm not shy on trying out others ideas!

Short Bus said:
You could give the ones I ordered a try. They're only $3.19 and if they don't fit you'll have spares for wifey. A Drimal may make them fit

They look like the same as the ones I just got for the wifey???

In any event, they don't natively fit into an Envoy hole, but using a Dremel???? Now there's an idea!
Oh wait! If I dremel the material around the hole away to fit a bigger bulb, then the light socket base would have no material to twist onto, thus the socket and bulb would be hanging in the breeze. So that's a no go for Dremeling.

I'm still waiting for warmer weather to see about mounting up the airplane landing lights. Lots and lots of silicone or automotive goop anyone?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What's the diameter of the opening for the Envoy reverse lights?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
06Envoy said:
Aw Jeez... I missed your word..'inside'. Sorry. I thought you meant the taillights... I really have to stop posting while sipping from the wobbly pop. :crazy:

:rotfl: Its cool!! Better sipping on that then some :tequila: lol The tail lights do look much better :thumbsup: Just wish the voy had nicer stock lights :frown:

06Envoy said:
I did order up some LED's bulbs interior and exterior for both trucks based on the part #'s from your PM. :thumbsup:
Hopefully they will arive soon!

Awesome cannot wait to see them on the truck!! :wootwoot:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
im adding this here and the LED mod thread...

i have a spare set of the same style lights (24 LED) from V-Leds that i bought years ago for my turn signals (didnt know about load equalizers back then, so i junked them and went back to stock)... so since im in the hunt for the complete exterior LED conversion, i tested these one more time, but for strictly light output purposes... and while these work great for reverse lights... they are absolutely GARBAGE ffor turns and/or brake lights... they did light up the housing.. but no where near as bright as stock bulbs (i left the drivers side turn signal in, and swapped the passanger to do my comparison).. also my tails are tinted.. so that didnt help either.. but i was not impressed.. and im glad i did this, so i didnt buy the same kind for my brake lights... heres a pic of the lights im talkin about... IMOl stay away from these for your turn signals and brakke lights...

2012-02-19150211.jpg

Nizar

Dec 7, 2011
Short Bus said:
I updated your Ebay listing. I just ordered bulbs like them here

[EBAY]280823489765[/EBAY]

hi am not sure if thoese lamps are good coz they just worked fine on the reverse coz they have a problrm with wiring !!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Nizar said:
hi am not sure if thoese lamps are good coz they just worked fine on the reverse coz they have a problrm with wiring !!

?????

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online