3157 LED Reverse bulbs got installed.

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
srry for reviving an old post.
The 'old man' has an 06 Envoy Denali. I would like to improve his reverse/backup lighting. Anyone found a working product & without modification?

I installed (pictured) Cree R3 9watt 800 Lumen bulbs (into my ZJ), have thought about the manual "stop tailgating" switch but that would just be rude with these.
The products displayed in this thread appear to offer 250 lumen, not to mention lack of fitment on the Envoy. The pictures here do offer a White light, but have found doesn't necessarily mean brighter than the oem bulb. I have been unable to find this Cree bulb in a 3157 base. & I do not have an Envoy near for experimenting.

View attachment 24107

Here's one: 2x 3157 3156 68 1210 SMD LED But appears too long for the reverse housing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3157-3156-68-1210-SMD-LED-Brake-Light-Bulb-White-/150945059373?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13534%26meid%3D3709866704542608022%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1080%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D170766860521%26
View attachment 24108

Attachments

• sku_137446_1_small.jpg
    sku_137446_1_small.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 401664424_tp.jpg
    401664424_tp.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 124

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Look into the spider bulbs, from everything I have used they are far brighter. I will say I think the CREE ones would be brighter but I have not had a reason to use them.

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
Some of these have the Cree directional and SMD surrounding the body. Looks like this is the ticket!

Does this vehicle require the "warning canceler harness?" to prevent a warning light?

Those with the SMD/Cree combo bulb may be preferred, but this adds length to the bulb. Too much length for the housing?

View attachment 24121

Attachments

• LED3157-Cree_V1.jpg
    LED3157-Cree_V1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 115

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
CajunWon said:
Does this vehicle require the "warning canceler harness?" to prevent a warning light?

:no: We don't have a bulb-out warning system.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I'm running these for my reverse lights. Very bright and a nice white, maybe around 5000k, no yellow and no blue. Once I put them in I realized its the lens that are really bad. I hate the red across the top and they don't do a good job of scattering the light. So the end result wasn't what I was looking for but no fault of the LEDs.

[EBAY]120946602439[/EBAY]

- - - Updated - - -

I'm running these for my reverse lights. Very bright and a nice white, maybe around 5000k, no yellow and no blue. Once I put them in I realized its the lens that are really bad. I hate the red across the top and they don't do a good job of scattering the light. So the end result wasn't what I was looking for but no fault of the LEDs.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Look into the spider bulbs, from everything I have used they are far brighter. I will say I think the CREE ones would be brighter but I have not had a reason to use them.

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
I ordered these 5W Q5 cree/smd bulbs. I would have ordered the 7watt equivalent for same price, but delivery was mid January -too late

Thanks for the assist!

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:

I will have these available in about a week to 10 days when my next order comes in. They won't be $33 either! They will be $22 for a pair. I also have some Cree dual white SMD 3157's for tail lights. These are being custom made for me and will be SRCK.
Don' forget I have the Chevrolet door ghost lights and the SS version in 5 different colors-$30/pr.
Kev
Wix.com LEDS created by dfwizleds based on auto-repair-express | Wix.com

2010 CamaroSS

Dec 5, 2011
I actually just installed a set of the SMD/CREE LED reverse lights on my trailblazer. Here are some pics:

Here is the lights on from about 15 feet from the back of the truck:
DSCF0562.jpg

This is standing next to the truck looking towards the back with no lights on:
DSCF0563.jpg

And this is the same shot with the reverse lights on:
DSCF0564.jpg

Bscfrank914

Aug 10, 2012
DFWWIZ said:
NewfieEnvoy said:

I will have these available in about a week to 10 days when my next order comes in. They won't be $33 either! They will be $22 for a pair. I also have some Cree dual white SMD 3157's for tail lights. These are being custom made for me and will be SRCK.
Don' forget I have the Chevrolet door ghost lights and the SS version in 5 different colors-$30/pr.
Kev
Wix.com LEDS created by dfwizleds based on auto-repair-express | Wix.com

Its a noob question, but besides installing these bulbs what else would we have to install? Any type of resistors?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bscfrank914 said:
Its a noob question, but besides installing these bulbs what else would we have to install? Any type of resistors?

Load resistors are only required for turn signal LED bulbs, and if you go that route eventually (hang around this site long enough, and you probably will :yes:) you connect one wire to the turn signal wire, and the other to the ground wire next to it. That's it. :thumbsup:

Bscfrank914

Aug 10, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Load resistors are only required for turn signal LED bulbs, and if you go that route eventually (hang around this site long enough, and you probably will :yes:) you connect one wire to the turn signal wire, and the other to the ground wire next to it. That's it. :thumbsup:

Not gonna lie, the few months I've been on this forum, I've been craving some LED in my life! :biggrin: I was under the impression it was a lot harder to do. So for the tail light brake lights, and reverse they are just plug and play? How about the interior lights? Are those plug and play as well? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to learn how to be a expert LED installer! :yes:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bscfrank914 said:
Not gonna lie, the few months I've been on this forum, I've been craving some LED in my life! :biggrin: I was under the impression it was a lot harder to do. So for the tail light brake lights, and reverse they are just plug and play? How about the interior lights? Are those plug and play as well? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to learn how to be a expert LED installer! :yes:

:undecided: Oh REALLY now? :goodevil:

Yes, the interior (dome) lights are plug and play also. For the assorted modules and instrument cluster, you'd have to buy loose LEDs and resistors to install, but those aren't as hard as they initially seem either.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Bscfrank914 said:

For the brake light you need to get SRCK bulbs (harder to find and more $$$) or mod the tail light boards (you can also get quad tails while modding the boards).

Bscfrank914

Aug 10, 2012
Short Bus said:
For the brake light you need to get SRCK bulbs (harder to find and more $$$) or mod the tail light boards (you can also get quad tails while modding the boards).

My 9-7x has only one brake light in the tails so I don't think the quad tails would work. The SRCK bulb wouldn't require a modded board though correct?

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Bscfrank914 said:
My 9-7x has only one brake light in the tails so I don't think the quad tails would work. The SRCK bulb wouldn't require a modded board though correct?

Correct. The modded board is changed up so you can use regular 3157 type light-whether its SMD or filament. But now that I'm getting the SRCK type made, the choice is easier.
For the newbies, the reason why you need a resistor on turn signals ONLY, is because the flasher does not have enough resistance or current draw to make its full cycle of off/on. The resistance of SMD compared to filament, is so low that the flasher makes it only about half way thru the cycle thereby causing hyper flashing.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Bscfrank914 said:

I don't know about the 9-7x, but on a stock TB the top bulb is brake/tail, the middle is turns and the bottom is reverse. With a modded board you can make the top and middle light for tails, and with a couple wire splices you can make the top and middle light for brake/turns also.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Short Bus said:
I don't know about the 9-7x, but on a stock TB the top bulb is brake/tail, the middle is turns and the bottom is reverse. With a modded board you can make the top and middle light for tails, and with a couple wire splices you can make the top and middle light for brake/turns also.

That would look good, nice mod idea :thumbsup:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
CdnGMan said:
That mod would look good with the LED tail-lights I have I'm thinking.... :undecided:

Like this :biggrin:

Aftermarket tails with spider LEDs

0730122033.jpg

night

0730122133.jpg

That is just tails, brakes/turns are brighter :smile:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
CdnGMan said:
Those do look sweet... but I have a set of these:

That being said, is it still possible to do something like that?

Come on Greg, you know better... Around here, anything is possible if you put your mind to it!! :biggrin:

You'd just have to alter the way the wires are connected at the harness. Some splicing and taping off would be in order, but quads would definitely be doable. :yes:

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
Blckshdw said:
Come on Greg, you know better... Around here, anything is possible if you put your mind to it!! :biggrin:

You'd just have to alter the way the wires are connected at the harness. Some splicing and taping off would be in order, but quads would definitely be doable. :yes:

How did I know that you'd be the one to chime in regarding that Carlton?? :tongue:

I suppose you're right in that anything is possible if you put your mind to it... however, since it deals with electricity, I think I know my limits...

But... I do think I know someone who lives not too far from me who LOVES playing with electricity... I might be able to sweet-talk him into seeing what he could do for me... :rotfl:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Those do look sweet... but I have a set of these:

[EBAY]120801071882[/EBAY]

That being said, is it still possible to do something like that?

The quad turn/brake should be ease, use this thread as a good research tool

http://gmtnation.com/f33/trailblazer-throttle-body-quad-brakes-dual-turns-cheap-halogen-led-verified-3199/

The quad tails are another story. For the tails you need a low output were the turn signal is (that's what you add when you mod the boards) for the tails that isn't normally needed. I sure it's possible, but I don't know how you would do it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online