2011 Terrain codes; P228D, P0089, P0016, P0017

NoDak Ninja

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Thanks @m.mcmillen; I have a clone ELM OBDII reader and use Car Scanner Pro. It cleared the "stored" and "pending" codes, but it wasn't clearing the "permanent" codes.

However; after idling a few times today to beat the cold, and then driving home, it seems to have cleared up. No more codes coming up and idle is much smoother. There's still a little bit of variance in RPM, but no missing, and no large swings.

I did put a can of SeaFoam in the tank when I filled it this am...don't know if that gets any credit or not...?

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Good! Hopefully it is good to go now. You should still get the CASE relearn done. I’ve seen them pop out false misfire codes before because of work done and the CASE relearn not done.

Reactions: NoDak Ninja

JAVINDRA

May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
My wife's 2011 Terrain (2.4L) is suddenly running very rough. She said this all just started sitting at a stoplight on Friday. It's throwing codes: P228D, P0089, P0016, P0017. It is also showing Stabilitrack and reduced engine power messages. I've looked up all those codes and there is a ton of possible causes between them all.

I assume the P0016 and P0017 are popping up just because it's running rough and that the real culprit lies in the P228D and P0089 codes. Fuel pressure sensor maybe? I'm hoping someone can identify a common theme among all of them and help me narrow this down.

Any ideas?
its time to replace your timing chains these codes are all related to this problem that GMC is fully aware of . It is a very expensive job about 1500$ and roughly 10 hours labor good luck I have the same issues with my 08 Acadia

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
--^-- +1

Even if you will not be doing the nearly $3,000.00 Timing Chain Replacement yourself... these videos will edify you on how this complex repair process gets done:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

And from Cloyes... THE Right Way to perform this work:

Eric Lange

Mar 19, 2020
Gardner, Kansas
My wife's 2011 Terrain (2.4L) is suddenly running very rough. She said this all just started sitting at a stoplight on Friday. It's throwing codes: P228D, P0089, P0016, P0017. It is also showing Stabilitrack and reduced engine power messages. I've looked up all those codes and there is a ton of possible causes between them all.

I assume the P0016 and P0017 are popping up just because it's running rough and that the real culprit lies in the P228D and P0089 codes. Fuel pressure sensor maybe? I'm hoping someone can identify a common theme among all of them and help me narrow this down.

Any ideas?
I changed all of my components last year on my 2010 3.0 terrain that you talk about ( high pressure fuel pump included) and now I’m running into the same timing code issues I had before. Funny thing is something you said in one of your posts is that you had just changed the oil??? As is what happened to me everything this time occurred right after I changed the oil. I can’t believe I need to change the timing chain again.... Any updates?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online