Kooks 4.2L I6 Header

scorpio1

Dec 12, 2012
It sure is a beauty. They do great metal work over there at Kooks, but then again they had better for the cost. I sure hope they carry these for a while, cant justify the cost until my TB's manifold starts cracking... *runs to check manifold.

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
Sparky said:
There is only one O2 sensor stock, can't really add another one. I'm curious why it isn't down at the Y that joints the two halves together however.

I saw that also. I'm planning on adding a bung in the Y pipe and see if the O2 sets a code or not. In the meantime, I'll ask my tuner what would happen if he turns off the front O2 codes and weather or not it affects driveabilty, mileaqge, etc.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
groundshock said:
How much did you have to shell out for that?

I believe retail will be 895+ shipping, the guys in this GB got them for $700+ship. Mine was about $30 more because I had Kooks weld in another bung for the WBO2 so I can just throw it in my truck with a wideband. Once Im done re-tuning it, Ill pull my WBO2 and use the bung plug to seal it up. I'll post some stock intake+stock exhaust manifolds+Magnaflow dual catback+ my SE22 Performance tune dyno graphs, then install the header and show the final results. :biggrin:

The only downfall of getting a pretty header like this is that a turbo kit is out of the question for me now. Not about to hack it up! Supercharger though... :undecided:

Kooks Headers

Jan 17, 2013
Thank You All for the compliments. Let me answer the questions that i saw arise,the bracket is to hold the dipstick in the stock location. The O2 placement is far down already and runs the risk of not heating up, we could move it up if need be but would only be in one tube, as far as running lean the computer make adjustment across the whole engine so if a lean/rich adjustment would be across all 6 cylinders not just 1 so the o2 placement is not as critical as one may think. instructions were not written in time we figured the orders were behind that it was more important to get the orders filled.
Drew

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
I believe retail will be 895+ shipping, the guys in this GB got them for $700+ship. Mine was about $30 more because I had Kooks weld in another bung for the WBO2 so I can just throw it in my truck with a wideband. Once Im done re-tuning it, Ill pull my WBO2 and use the bung plug to seal it up. I'll post some stock intake+stock exhaust manifolds+Magnaflow dual catback+ my SE22 Performance tune dyno graphs, then install the header and show the final results. :biggrin:

The only downfall of getting a pretty header like this is that a turbo kit is out of the question for me now. Not about to hack it up! Supercharger though... :undecided:

Interesting. Unfortunately that's round-about the same cost as I'm planning to do my whole lift package. I've heard they do good work, but if it's not a 20HP gain, the $ doesnt = the cost.

Just my opinion.

I hope it works out well for all parties involved though.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Kooks Headers said:
Thank You All for the compliments. Let me answer the questions that i saw arise,the bracket is to hold the dipstick in the stock location. The O2 placement is far down already and runs the risk of not heating up, we could move it up if need be but would only be in one tube, as far as running lean the computer make adjustment across the whole engine so if a lean/rich adjustment would be across all 6 cylinders not just 1 so the o2 placement is not as critical as one may think. instructions were not written in time we figured the orders were behind that it was more important to get the orders filled.
Drew

Thanks for the update Drew, for future GBs it would be nice to get a few days heads up when they will be shipped. I had almost forgotten about this, if I did and then my CC was charged without prior notice (its been almost 4 months since I first put my GB order in) Id be confused and frustrated.

It would be great to get the install instructions emailed to everyone in the GB. I can probably figure it out, but if it turns out to be anything like the SS install, it wont be that easy.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
These look dead-nuts simple to install. Remove serp belt, unbolt PS pump, remove shield, unbolt dipstick, unbolt manifold/stock exhaust, bolt on new stuff.

I'm kinda excited to get these installed. Sucks I'll only get to drive the truck for about a week with them on before the TB goes to its new home. :frown:

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
fishsticks said:
These look dead-nuts simple to install. Remove serp belt, unbolt PS pump, remove shield, unbolt dipstick, unbolt manifold/stock exhaust, bolt on new stuff.

I'm kinda excited to get these installed. Sucks I'll only get to drive the truck for about a week with them on before the TB goes to its new home. :frown:

Ever thought about not installing them and selling them on the forum??

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
fishsticks said:

"Easy" - yeah, every story I've heard about those manifold bolts points to it being very easy :wink:

Soo... why did you buy the headers when you were selling the truck? Why are you selling the truck anyway dude?!

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Sparky said:
"Easy" - yeah, every story I've heard about those manifold bolts points to it being very easy :wink:

Soo... why did you buy the headers when you were selling the truck? Why are you selling the truck anyway dude?!

No salt on the roads here. There's zero rust on my bolts. :biggrin: I've actually had problems with my manifold bolts loosening on their own over the years.

I never planned on selling, especially at the time I ordered. A weird set of circumstances along with a very attractive monetary offer caused me to agree to sell it. The headers are part of the deal now.

I'm building a new rig. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3953794303425.1073741825.1837215596&type=1&l=1ab4abfbe7

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
Kooks Headers said:
Drew

My question is not to install the O2 sensor in the front header but to install it into the collector where the two headers come together. Seems to me that if something would happen in either cyliner 4, 5 , or 6, the O2 sensor, where it is now located would not "see" the exhaust from the other three cylinders and the pcm could not make corrections. Assuming that putting the sensor there causes the cel to come on for heater perfromance, what effect, if any, would there be in disabling the code from turning on the cel?

Kooks Headers

Jan 17, 2013
mark'stb;127196 said:
My question is not to install the O2 sensor in the front header but to install it into the collector where the two headers come together. Seems to me that if something would happen in either cyliner 4, 5 , or 6, the O2 sensor, where it is now located would not "see" the exhaust from the other three cylinders and the pcm could not make corrections. Assuming that putting the sensor there causes the cel to come on for heater perfromance, what effect, if any, would there be in disabling the code from turning on the cel?

Its not the heater code itself it is keeping the O2 hot enough to perform its job.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Mine arrived today and they are gorgeous.

Looks like someone goofed and sent me a noncatted downpipe though. Whoops.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I had an email from Drew in my box this morning, even though Kooks is closed today. That's service.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Got mine on Friday, also got the 02 back a little early. Probably wont have time for a few weeks to pull the stock manifold (which is indeed cracked, I hear an exhaust leak now that it's back in Seattle) and install it, going to try for some dyno time before I swap it to get a baseline for stock and my tunes. People keep asking what hp/tq gains my tune nets, Ive been estimating 10-15hp/tq but now I want dyno #s. :biggrin:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I am glad to see everyone is finaly getting the headers. I would like to report that my Trailblazer passed emisions in NC today with no problems. I will also be restarting the mileage log do to a failed cam phaser and thermostat that I had to replace. I am extreamly happy with the headers and look forward to seeing what everyone else has to say once they get them installed.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
I'm assuming this setup would be considered a "high flow" cat? I might as well just buy these since I want to replace my manifold and cat anyway, since they need it.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
I'm assuming this setup would be considered a "high flow" cat? I might as well just buy these since I want to replace my manifold and cat anyway, since they need it.

Yes, it is definitely a high flow/spun cat and not an oem-style replacement.

I looked at my 02 today on my drive to work, all the readiness monitors were good except the cat. I know the codes havent been cleared in 6+ mo, looks like the cat's out too. Cracked manifold and bad cat, definitely glad Ive got this header sitting in my basement. :thumbsup:

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
If all goes according to plan, my goal is to install the header this weekend. i.e.- the weather co-operates and is not too cold.

palitoiii

Dec 5, 2011
Hey marshall what if I get Kooks to put the O2 in the collector. Then to get a mailed PCM tune for my 04 TB from you will it be ok with the 02 being there instead of being where it is now in the 123 one? I just don't want engine problems.

Nelson E. Contreras III
2004 TBSSi

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
LOL wow. I was thinking these were like $500 range.

Considering the groupbuy was well above that...I have no idea how you would think that.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
sounds about right for the price...group buy was a great deal then

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
LOL wow. I was thinking these were like $500 range.

You've never bought a Kooks header before have you? :rotfl:

These aren't Pace Setters. They won't be priced similarly.

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
Mine just arrived 15 minutes ago via UPS.
Awesome quality, fit and finish.. had to ensure everything was correct; catted, all necessary hardware, and extra bung for wideband afr O2 welded into Y pipe.

Thanks Kooks, it all looks badass :thumbsup:

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Ha! My chrome side pipes and long tubes for the Corvette where only $100 more. I guess that is the downside with a limited market share.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
So not to hijack, but at this point I want to find a quality OEM manifold that isn't made by Dorman and looks like a remanufactured one. Any others?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
So not to hijack, but at this point I want to find a quality OEM manifold that isn't made by Dorman and looks like a remanufactured one. Any others?

Seriously...this is a complete hijack of a vendors thread. Start one in the appropriate area.

XUVFISCH

Mar 27, 2013
A called Kooks back in January, I was gonna put my order in for the headers, but the guy I talked to didn't have any answers for me on the headers, he couldn't even tell me what they came with or the price for that matter. He took my phone number and said he would call me back. He never did. So now I find out that they sold the first batch and the nexts ones are gonna cost $942.45 WOW!!!!

That's a bunch of crap!! :mad:

palitoiii

Dec 5, 2011
I feel the same way XUVFISCH. I was following this header stuff on that other forum and I totally missed the freaking group buy. Im so pissed about it. :mad: Emailed kooks back and forth but basically have to pay the premium price. :ugh: I guess its first come first served. I wish they can do a GB again. Oh well. Guess i have to wait a lil to save a few more $$ to get them. Sucks for me and others that missed it.

palitoiii

Dec 5, 2011
marshall in the tune will you be adding the header changes to the tune if we have the headers? Aslo will you be adding it the the PCM order sheet? Also marshall the ordersheet on your site is down...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online