Kooks 4.2L I6 Header

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
The wait is finally over! Kooks Custom Headers is moving forward with the design and production of the I6 header system for the GMT360 platform. This will be a header and cat system that will replace the problematic cast manifold that has plagued these vehicles. These headers will be made from 304 Stainless steel and will be a Tri-Y design to increase both horsepower and low end torque. There will be a high flow catalytic convertor that will connect to the factory exhaust flange as well. To show our appreciation for all the feedback from everyone on the forums, we will be offering the first twenty systems at a deeply discounted price. This deal is on a first come basis so don’t wait or you will miss out. Private Message me for the super low introductory price!

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Ok I can now post this for everyone.

The first twenty people to preorder theses headers will get the Header and catted connection pipe for $700.00 plus shipping.

And yes my name is on the list!

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Jeeeez give me the ls2 set for that instead of $80,000 I will put kook stickers all over my SS

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would be all over this if it was CARB-legal in CA. We can't even have aftermarket cats.

culzero

Nov 21, 2011
will they still be available after the initial 20 purchased? If so what is the suggested price?

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
definitely interested. but maybe in a year or so if it is still available hopefully what is the regular price going to be ad will there be more made?

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
T-304 tubing or pipe for the runners? What will the flanges be made of, Stainless as well? I've tried to find someone selling stainless exhaust flanges for these and there's nothing out there.

Slow_Sc3

Oct 20, 2012
I cant wait to see what the gains are going to be! any idea if pcmforless will offer a tune for this header once its on the market?

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
I'm interested. Let me know when they become available.

- - - Updated - - -

Opeth said:
T-304 tubing or pipe for the runners? What will the flanges be made of, Stainless as well? I've tried to find someone selling stainless exhaust flanges for these and there's nothing out there.

try here: http://www.spdexhaust.com/GM_B.html#

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
GCTB1289 said:
definitely interested. but maybe in a year or so if it is still available hopefully what is the regular price going to be ad will there be more made?

culzero said:
will they still be available after the initial 20 purchased? If so what is the suggested price?
Please consider digging deep and getting these NOW if you're on the fence. I've been watching new products come and go for eight years now, from offroad gas tank armor to braided stainless brake lines for a non-SS truck to custom silicone radiator hoses for the I6. In almost all cases, the products were either a loss for the vendor, or a second run was never produced and ONLY the initial adopters got the product. I happen to have all three of these items and I'm happy as a clam about them.

Vendors need support - that means SALES with a bit of profit thrown in. And they need them NOW, as positive feedback that their R&D efforts are appreciated. Please do NOT cheap out and assume the product or even the vendor will be there if they don't get supported by the enthusiast community.

OK, off my soapbox now. :wink:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
the roadie said:
Please consider digging deep and getting these NOW if you're on the fence. I've been watching new products come and go for eight years now, from offroad gas tank armor to braided stainless brake lines for a non-SS truck to custom silicone radiator hoses for the I6. In almost all cases, the products were either a loss for the vendor, or a second run was never produced and ONLY the initial adopters got the product. I happen to have all three of these items and I'm happy as a clam about them.

Vendors need support - that means SALES with a bit of profit thrown in. And they need them NOW, as positive feedback that their R&D efforts are appreciated. Please do NOT cheap out and assume the product or even the vendor will be there if they don't get supported by the enthusiast community.

OK, off my soapbox now. :wink:

This is very true. We hope to make these headers part of our regular product line as long as there is a demand for them. I can tell you the price will go up after the first twenty are sold. But to get this project off the ground we need commitments to buy to show that there is a market for this product. If you want a set now is the time to step up and get them. I can promises you that you won't see a deal like this again, so if you want on the list please let me know.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
I'd be in if I had the $700 for them. I might see me getting some down the road thats if they don't go above $875. But if there are proven gains and such I might just sink the money into 1.

Just my :twocents:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Slow_Sc3 said:
Any chance on a before and after dyno with this header when it hits the market?

That is the plan. I have a bone stock 04 2LT 4X4 that we are using for the testing So I am very excited to see what a set of header can do with this engine. I know that the stock manifold is highly restrictive and is choking the motor.

Slow_Sc3

Oct 20, 2012
novajoe said:
That is the plan. I have a bone stock 04 2LT 4X4 that we are using for the testing So I am very excited to see what a set of header can do with this engine. I know that the stock manifold is highly restrictive and is choking the motor.

I'm excited also once I see pictures and a dyno I'm going to pull the trigger and buy one

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Guys, I just emailed Joe and am excited to get this rolling. Im pretty sure my 02 has a cracked manifold after 10 years and Id rather get a header for it vs another manifold thats going to crack again.

Bill's right, seen a lot of vendors put some products out and no one actually buys them. If you're on the fence, do it. If you're actually questioning the quality of a Kooks header, you obviously haven't looked at ANY of their work. Its all TOP NOTCH and done right. This isnt a cheap header, its a header done right.

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
Looks like I'm finally going to have to put all my stock parts up for sale and try to come up with some money for this!!!

Slow_Sc3

Oct 20, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Guys, I just emailed Joe and am excited to get this rolling. Im pretty sure my 02 has a cracked manifold after 10 years and Id rather get a header for it vs another manifold thats going to crack again.

Bill's right, seen a lot of vendors put some products out and no one actually buys them. If you're on the fence, do it. If you're actually questioning the quality of a Kooks header, you obviously haven't looked at ANY of their work. Its all TOP NOTCH and done right. This isnt a cheap header, its a header done right.

I just have a hard time buying something that doesn't exist right now. It has nothing to do with kooks or quality.

My 05 has a cracked header from a clogged cat.. Iv gutted the cat but its just a bandaid.. I really do plan on buying a header ( even talked it over with the wife ) :wootwoot:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Slow_Sc3 said:
I just have a hard time buying something that doesn't exist right now. It has nothing to do with kooks or quality.

My 05 has a cracked header from a clogged cat.. Iv gutted the cat but its just a bandaid.. I really do plan on buying a header ( even talked it over with the wife ) :wootwoot:

I can understand that. And I also know how much R&D we here at Kooks are putting into the product. I know that the headers will perform, fit, and last like no other. The biggest vote of confidence is that I am letting them use my TB as a test vehicle and I don't even let the state inspector dive my vehicles.

Slow_Sc3

Oct 20, 2012
novajoe said:
I can understand that. And I also know how much R&D we here at Kooks are putting into the product. I know that the headers will perform, fit, and last like no other. The biggest vote of confidence is that I am letting them use my TB as a test vehicle and I don't even let the state inspector dive my vehicles.

Thank you! please keep us updated and post pictures as soon as you can :smile:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
So on my stock TB, which I drive on the highway mostly on long trips and do not tow, what would these do for me?

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
I would like one. The thing that concerns me is not the quality of the header, but having the 02 sensor being happy.

I'm not the most educated on this, but with the factory exhaust manifold, the sensor gets a reading from all 6 cylinders.
With the header, if you put it down at the collector it's too far away isn't it?
And you don't want to just read 1 cylinder - or is that OK?

If this isn't the right place to discuss this, I don't mind being deleted - but I think others may have concerns also.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
The O2 bung is usually placed in the collector where all cylinders (or all cylinders in 1 bank) meet. The PCM *might* throw a O2 lazy code because the O2 will be further down the header, but honestly I wouldnt worry about it that much.

I know most people arent going to like to hear this, but to get the most out of any header you need a tune. If you have a mail order one, expect to have to ship it back to your tuner and have it adjusted because a header will significantly change the exhaust flow characteristics. How else do header manufactures get 20-40rwhp (on a V8), they need to be retuned.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
meerschm said:
So on my stock TB, which I drive on the highway mostly on long trips and do not tow, what would these do for me?

For you your gain would be in MPG. On my Camaro when I installed long tube headers I picked up three MPG. So I will use that as an example to show thbenefitsts. In the last year my wife and I put 80k on the Trailblazer. (your mileage may vary)
I average 17.8 MPG (mostly interstadrivinging) and just to put a price on it I will use $4 price on fuel (9Usingseing this information here is how it comes out. In stock form fuel cost would be $17.977.52 and with only a 3 MPG gain it would drop to $15,384.62 equaling a savings of $2,592.40 for the year.

This far surpasses the cost of the exhaust system for me. And this is just for bone stock, add a CAI and a tune and your gains will be higher.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I would like to thank everyone who has already purchaced this exhaust system. I would also like to let everyone know that there are still some open slots avalible in the pre-sale. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Slow_Sc3

Oct 20, 2012
novajoe said:
I would like to thank everyone who has already purchaced this exhaust system. I would also like to let everyone know that there are still some open slots avalible in the pre-sale. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

any idea on how soon till the header is done?

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
mark'stb;102620 said:
Novajoe, put me on your list for a header. What do I need to do next?

PM him or call up Kooks and give them your CC info. I talked to Joe for a good 20 minutes on the phone the other day. He's a cool cat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online