Kooks 4.2L I6 Header

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
So have a lot of people already installed these headers and cats? What has been the prognosis of using them by now?

No, they havent started production of them yet. At least they havent asked the 20 people on the initial GB to charge our CC's yet.

Fine by me, mine wont be getting installed until mid-May at the earliest anyway so keep holding off works for me! More mod $$ for the SS in the meantime. :rotfl:

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
No, they havent started production of them yet. At least they havent asked the 20 people on the initial GB to charge our CC's yet.

Fine by me, mine wont be getting installed until mid-May at the earliest anyway so keep holding off works for me! More mod $$ for the SS in the meantime. :rotfl:

Same deal. I ended up having to pay on taxes this year, so a little extra time to recover is welcome. :thumbsup:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
mark'stb;125904 said:
Kook's just called. They're shipping my header today!

Glad to hear, all I have to say is that Kooks better call me first. Ive spent the $$ I had set aside for my header because they took 3 months longer to make these.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Glad to hear, all I have to say is that Kooks better call me first. Ive spent the $$ I had set aside for my header because they took 3 months longer to make these.

I was saving for set, until I seen that the last one had been claimed. I have the cash, but I have other things going on that are more important. Not a good time to be a contractor.

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
gmcman said:
Any chance you can get a baseline dyno run before the install?

I have no intentions of doing any dyno runs with my TB even though we have a dyno-jet here at work. On the upside, the tracking number says the headers will be here on Monday.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
mark'stb;126069 said:
I have no intentions of doing any dyno runs with my TB even though we have a dyno-jet here at work.

:confused: Maybe it's just me but I would be all into seeing where these headers made power if any at all, especially for what thier worth. I'm definately looking forward to the install though. :thumbsup:

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
Maybe we can get marshall@pcm to post some dyno graphs. I would also like to see some before/after results to see where these headers made power and torque compared to the oem manifold and cat.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
marshall@pcm said:
You should call if you don't think the funds are there!

Ill make sure they are, Im just frustrated by the lack of communication from Kooks to the rest of us. I know PCMofNC did all the testing so you guys probably had no issues, but I havent heard anything directly from Kooks since I called to put my pre-order in back in late Nov/early Dec. I want it and will buy it, but Id expect a few more updates from Kooks directly.

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
Didn't realize that. I'm at work and can't spend too much time playing on the forums. That said, could you post another graph showing stock, headers w/stock tune, and headers with your tune?

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Ill make sure they are, Im just frustrated by the lack of communication from Kooks to the rest of us. I know PCMofNC did all the testing so you guys probably had no issues, but I havent heard anything directly from Kooks since I called to put my pre-order in back in late Nov/early Dec. I want it and will buy it, but Id expect a few more updates from Kooks directly.

This. I had an email saying I'd be receiving further contact back in January. Nada.

Just noticed a hit to my card from Kooks though.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
fishsticks said:
This. I had an email saying I'd be receiving further contact back in January. Nada.

Just noticed a hit to my card from Kooks though.

Great, well Ill keep an eye on my card as well. No issues there, its always paid off, but I just wish there was a little more communication.

Looks like the timing is going to end up almost perfectly, the 02s coming back to Seattle in a week or 2 so Ill be able to slap it on the dyno with the new header. :biggrin:

marshall@pcm

Dec 6, 2011
Here you go, Mark.

196323_453968808002293_1260249474_n.jpg

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
Thanks Marshall.

And look what the man in brown just dropped off....

Attachments

• DSC00874.jpg
    DSC00874.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 10

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
Just received a call from my parents and the header was delivered today! Too bad I won't be home for another 6 weeks due to school. :frown:

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Great, well Ill keep an eye on my card as well. No issues there, its always paid off, but I just wish there was a little more communication.

Looks like the timing is going to end up almost perfectly, the 02s coming back to Seattle in a week or 2 so Ill be able to slap it on the dyno with the new header. :biggrin:

I will say this. I got an email for a UPS shipping notification 4 days ago. I thought it was for some Toyota parts I bought, but it's actually for the headers. Looks like they'll be here on Wednesday.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Got my shipping notification over the weekend, looks like mine will be here friday. I have an extra bung welded into mine, should make tuning a lot easier! :biggrin:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
mark'stb;126796 said:
Thanks Marshall.

And look what the man in brown just dropped off....
Whats in the box?!?!
whats-in-the-box-19817-1258559277-21.jpg

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
would love to see them, of course i'm a visual guy :biggrin:

i'm not into them for the hp, just for the cleaner look I suppose

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
Other than not having installation instructions, they look pretty good. I'm not sure what the bracket is for but hopefully it become evident where it goes when it's time to install them.

Attachments

• DSC00875.jpg
    DSC00875.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 29

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
wow...i suddenly want to sell something so i can get this

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Does the kit comes with O2 sensors? After the cat, the 2 things are for what? looks like some support?

thanks

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
fishsticks said:
You should probably read the rest of this thread...

I have followed this thread for sure, what I haven't seen is a stock manifold+tune next to a header+tune. I have seen stock no tune, header no tune, header+tune but not stock manifold+tune over a header+tune.

Regardless I do like the increase from 3K-5K since I tow on occasion and I spend some time in that RPM range...quite substantial.

I'm not an exhaust fabricator for sure, but I'm curious as to why there is an oxygen sensor on cyl 1-3 and nothing on cyl 4-6. Did I miss something?

Them some fine looking heads for sure. :thumbsup:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
mark'stb;126853 said:
Other than not having installation instructions, they look pretty good. I'm not sure what the bracket is for but hopefully it become evident where it goes when it's time to install them.

That's some serious eye candy right there. :yes:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
I have followed this thread for sure, what I haven't seen is a stock manifold+tune next to a header+tune. I have seen stock no tune, header no tune, header+tune but not stock manifold+tune over a header+tune.

Regardless I do like the increase from 3K-5K since I tow on occasion and I spend some time in that RPM range...quite substantial.

I'm not an exhaust fabricator for sure, but I'm curious as to why there is an oxygen sensor on cyl 1-3 and nothing on cyl 4-6. Did I miss something?

Them some fine looking heads for sure. :thumbsup:

There is only one O2 sensor stock, can't really add another one. I'm curious why it isn't down at the Y that joints the two halves together however.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i've read plenty of people with older rides with LTs having problems with o2s throwing codes because they are too far downstream. probably don't heat up fast enough?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
jimmyjam said:
i've read plenty of people with older rides with LTs having problems with o2s throwing codes because they are too far downstream. probably don't heat up fast enough?

That's definitely a good theory.

Sparky said:
There is only one O2 sensor stock, can't really add another one. I'm curious why it isn't down at the Y that joints the two halves together however.

That was my point, if there's one I would think it should be in the collector but could be a harness length issue but more importantly a heat issue. Only issue I have is what if cyl's 4-6 run rich, you won't know anything is up until the cat gets smoked.

I like the headers though...I really do, that's some fine metalwork right there.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
That's definitely a good theory.

That was my point, if there's one I would think it should be in the collector but could be a harness length issue but more importantly a heat issue. Only issue I have is what if cyl's 4-6 run rich, you won't know anything is up until the cat gets smoked.

I like the headers though...I really do, that's some fine metalwork right there.

At the same time, in stock configuration if the 4-6 run rich and the computer leans it out a bit to compensate, then 1-3 run lean and burn valves and stuff, so I guess either way you're running a slight risk unless you wanted an O2 per cylinder :crazy: Man that would suck, don't get any ideas EPA :uhno:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sparky said:
At the same time, in stock configuration if the 4-6 run rich and the computer leans it out a bit to compensate, then 1-3 run lean and burn valves and stuff

Won't happen, 4-6 are out of the loop, they are on their own. The downstream sensor won't see much, if any, of a change since the cat will burning the extra fuel up.

I see your point though, if 1-3 run rich then the ecm will lean 4-6 as well but when this happens it's generally only 1 cylinder showing a problem on average.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
Won't happen, 4-6 are out of the loop, they are on their own. The downstream sensor won't see much, if any, of a change since the cat will burning the extra fuel up.

I see your point though, if 1-3 run rich then the ecm will lean 4-6 as well but when this happens it's generally only 1 cylinder showing a problem on average.

I meant with the stock manifold, not with the header. Whenever you run one sensor for x number of cylinders you'll always have some averaging out.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
OK, sorry...I thought you were saying stock as in 1 sensor at the location in the header pic.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online