FEEDBACK Cmon Folks!!! Wheres all the people? Just a year ago this site..

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Glad tapa is gone myself and rehashing the past wont bring it back.

I only use photobucket for pics anyway, so i do not experience any pic issues at all.

Except when photobucket was broken the other day lol
(not that it happens often)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Broken less than some sites :wink:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I'm fully aware that tapatalk costs money I have been here the whole time this was going on. My point is is an investment, I'm not saying bring back tapatalk because "I" like it. ...I'm saying people in general like apps. If we invest in the app I believe it will help us generate revenue. Along with some of the other suggestions that have been mentioned of course with Google and adding a subtitle. Rehashing "the past" is exactly what we need to do, if it is decided to bring it back then it would change things right? The forum had a lot more activity before some changes were made, wouldn't it make sense for this to be realized and something else be done? Need to get back to how things used to be. Even Bill left for Christ's sakes. ....

Reactions: swede

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
On the flip side if we do say bring back tapatalk and pay for it etc. And nothing changes at all was that worth it? I see it maybe helping for a couple of stragglers but let's face it. My generation consists of a ton of lazy people and most of the time I hate to consider myself a part of it. At the very least if we help people on Facebook we could at least ask if they liked the feedback to donate something. That could maybe get a little something extra going I guess.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bingo. The older crowd of enthusiasts is moving on and the new are entitled to instant gratification of the book of faces. Forums are somewhat ancient tech for them and not worth the minimal effort. Sad but true. Lazy Punks :deadhorse:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Lazy and cheap. I don't see too many people joining or donating even though we plaster it everywhere. All they want is instant free gratification. My own boys couldn't care less about being on a forum. They're enthusiasts with their Hondas. All they want is just the answer and be gone. They don't understand that we won't be here forever to keep feeding them.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
The new generation also is more internet savvy. They understand that if they don't support something and it goes away, something will likely take its place and it's likely to be free, at least to the needed extent. Many topics have multiple forums serving the community involved for example.

They also understand that supporting something financially on the net in no way provides any guarantees it will remain around either. Plus forums get bought and sold causing upheaval... who has time for that drama?

Some see Millennials as lazy and instant gratification seekers. It's a view point through a certain lens. Others might see it as focused efficiency. We grew up buying a music album, appreciating the song, the album cover art, and enjoying the tangible record/tape/CD. Today 1000 songs are deleted at the press of a button and a thousand new ones added in a day. Only electrons changed. It seems odd to me but I can't usefully apply my thinking about that today. It isn't relevant.

The Millennial generation has money. What can a forum offer them that they will see value enough in to pay for it? What is the value proposition? Hard questions to answer perhaps.

As much as any forum regulars want it to be mainly for the "enthusiasts" the reality check is 'can the forum survive only on the existing enthusiast generated revenue stream'? If the answer is no, then like any business in decline, the site needs to evolve to remain relevant. That could be simple like cross marketing through other forums (Saab/Isuzu forums?) or benchmarking ie: "What do successful forums do differently and can it be imitated?" Or it could be a radical restructuring or something else.

Not trying to stir the pot or be negative, just thinking about widening the horizon on the discussion. Only intended to be helpful.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
the site needs to evolve to remain relevant. That could be simple like cross marketing through other forums (Saab/Isuzu forums?) or benchmarking ie: "What do successful forums do differently and can it be imitated?" Or it could be a radical restructuring or something else.

You sir have nailed it right there. Hats off to you :tiphat:

Reactions: Bow_Tied

swede

Jun 22, 2014
I read about GMTNation not having enought cash flow, well I been looking around the forum now but can't find any information about why anybody should donate cash for this forum? Information on donation, in my opinion, should be on index page (gmtnation.com/forums) and it should contain what a member receive with his or hers donation.

Also an addition to our forum name should be implement as soon as possible.

And I agree with Bow-Tied, we need to start thinking on making an app for GMTNation. There is a lot of free app templates or app templates for a small amount of cash out there now, I bet there is a ton of ppl on this forum that wouldn't mind spending some free time working on an app template to attract more members (i wouldn't mind helping).

And I found an interesting page here about apps cost and other information.

Here we can make an app from our web page for free, only android but it's a start.

Lots of opportunity out there, we just need to get our thumbs out of our asses and do something!!

Edit: Forgot a good rule from VBULLENTIN.ORG

"Only ever have a small amount of forums. When you get your forum, and only have a few members, don't add too many sections, or it will overwhelm your members. Plus, if you have sections without posts (if you have too many sections, then you most likely will not have many posts) then it makes your forum look more dead than it really is. Once you gain more members, that's the time to add new sections and categories."

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130
Mar 30, 2016
KSA

And I agree with Bow-Tied, we need to start thinking on making an app for GMTNation. There is a lot of free app templates or app templates for a small amount of cash out there now, I bet there is a ton of ppl on this forum that wouldn't mind spending some free time working on an app template to attract more members (i wouldn't mind helping).

YES!!! And also if anyone here is an app dev he could help us out as well. I for one, well you don't even have to ask for help.

An app and name addition should be at the top of the list. One thing / mistake that should not be done is create an app for only one platform OS. Xamarin which has now been acquired by Microsoft has some great codes for app creation and then using that same code to allow the app on many platforms. I will check on that and let you all know :biggrin:

Lets bring GMTNation back on site :tongue:

swede

Jun 22, 2014
I heard that some of you don't like TapaTalk, and I understand. But until we have something else that's better I think we have to stick with what's available until something better comes up!

I don't know how much GMTNation paid for TapaTalk before but as of today the premium cost is $10/month.

https://tapatalk.com/start-here.php

I'm willing to contribute with $50 set a side for TapaTalk that will get us an app for 5 months and maybe we have found a better app until then.

When did we drop the TapaTalk? They did some changes in late dec 2015:

https://blog.tapatalk.com/byo-update-lower-price-no-more-app-store-submissions/

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I heard that some of you don't like TapaTalk, and I understand. But until we have something else that's better I think we have to stick with what's available until something better comes up!

I don't know how much GMTNation paid for TapaTalk before but as of today the premium cost is $10/month.

https://tapatalk.com/start-here.php

I'm willing to contribute with $50 set a side for TapaTalk that will get us an app for 5 months and maybe we have found a better app until then.

When did we drop the TapaTalk? They did some changes in late dec 2015:

https://blog.tapatalk.com/byo-update-lower-price-no-more-app-store-submissions/

I was just thinking wouldn't it be cheaper, better, long-term solution if we made an actual GMTNation app without having to depend on tapatalk. Many people were not happy and if we have our own app we can control the features we need and it'll be a long term solution. Just my :twocents: :thumbsup:

swede

Jun 22, 2014
I read about GMTNation not having enought cash flow, well I been looking around the forum now but can't find any information about why anybody should donate cash for this forum? Information on donation, in my opinion, should be on index page (gmtnation.com/forums) and it should contain what a member receive with his or hers donation.

Found it but it wasn't easy to find, should be more visible:

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/member-status-faq.1001/

I was just thinking wouldn't it be cheaper, better, long-term solution if we made an actual GMTNation app without having to depend on tapatalk. Many people were not happy and if we have our own app we can control the features we need and it'll be a long term solution. Just my :twocents: :thumbsup:

Yes of course, but we need something right now!

And I read the thread of tapatalk here and I get the picture, but we are talking about generating more members and higher traffic on the forum.

I don't think it's up to old members and mostly forum admin and moderators to decide what potential new members like or dislike.
I think We all can agree with Bow-Tied about today's kids, they want an app and not an mobile web forum period.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Yes of course, but we need something right now!

So reinstate Tapatalk as a temporary app until we get the works to a GMTNation specific app ?? Hows dat sound ?!

don't think it's up to old members and mostly forum admin and moderators to decide what potential new members like or dislike.

But at least we get a say and the forum mods and admins have control over what happens / features on their own app compared to Tapatalk which I believe reading through the thread you posted about was axed due to limiting the mods and admins control over their forum!

I think We all can agree with Bow-Tied about today's kids, they want an app and not an mobile web forum period.

To that there is no doubt about it. Not just kids but even "older" and loyal members would prefer an app to handle all their GMTNation stuff

BUT
Actions speak louder than Words and I believe we need action like yesterday :cool:

swede

Jun 22, 2014
I'm suprised of the lack of input from others in this thread.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I've been keeping up with this conversation. On my phone, I just connect to the site. I don't need an app to do it.

As far as "low traffic" or more FB posts, I can't say why. Seems there was a rif last summer when I was away. I came back to less traffic, but I really don't know why. It's been slow ever since.

My being here is reduced by my new job. I do read new posts, but I don't add content if someone is already taking care of them.

Tapatalk or app? Why?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm suprised of the lack of input from others in this thread.

We do sleep on this side of the pond ya know! :Zzzz:

A couple of us mods do have this line in our sigs (for those on their phones and can't see it):
This site is funded by you! If you have saved some money from help you received, please consider donating or becoming a supporter. All proceeds go to supporting the site. Thank you!

Pretty much self explanatory as to what you got and what you'd be getting. But you're right that there should be a link to both of those options from the top of all pages.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Signatures are visible by holding your phone sideways. I have no issue with the mobile version. I like it. Uploading pictures is easy for me, not sure why others have an issue with it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tapatalk was an issue before cost and the price was the final nail in the coffin.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
On the whole app thing - not a bad idea, but it would require programming the app and also programming the back end support to work with said app, and AFAIK none of us are programmers.

What I've done for sites I visit regularly on my phone (which are very few actually as I don't like using my phone for most of that kind of thing) is just have a bookmark icon on my home screen going straight there. Since the mobile site is pretty decent IMO (I know other opinions may vary) that seems to work well.

Just my 2 cents...

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Signatures are visible by holding your phone sideways. I have no issue with the mobile version. I like it. Uploading pictures is easy for me, not sure why others have an issue with it.

My phone takes pics with sizes of greater than 4 MB so its a PITA to get to my PC to resize and then upload. Haven't used any of the image compressing apps as they ruin the quality of my image postings. That's the only downside. Other than that I'm quite satisfied with the mobile site

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Which phone do you have? What I've done before if posting directly from my phone is to take pics at a lower megapixel. My phone has the photo size setting right next to the other options so with a quick tap I can drop it from 12M to 3.7M right quick.

I usually use my PC for all my stuff though.

swede

Jun 22, 2014
We do sleep on this side of the pond ya know! :Zzzz:

A couple of us mods do have this line in our sigs (for those on their phones and can't see it):
This site is funded by you! If you have saved some money from help you received, please consider donating or becoming a supporter. All proceeds go to supporting the site. Thank you!

Pretty much self explanatory as to what you got and what you'd be getting. But you're right that there should be a link to both of those options from the top of all pages.
Sleep is overrated haha

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I been looking around the forum now but can't find any information about why anybody should donate cash for this forum? Information on donation, in my opinion, should be on index page (gmtnation.com/forums) and it should contain what a member receive with his or hers donation

The donation campaigns were to help cover operating costs, because our other revenue streams were falling short. Servers, storage, hosting fees, etc. It used to list how much we needed, vs how much was donated, for each item. You can see how many members donated to help out...

The membership upgrade section used to list what was gained with the purchase. Not sure if that got wiped out with the last software change or what. Maybe one of the admins can fix that.

Now as far as WHY you should donate? Simply because the forum needs help, and you want to. (IF you want to, that is) The core here is a dying platform that's been out of production for over 6 years now. So our base as a whole is constantly shrinking as people upgrade and move on to newer vehicles, even if there wasn't FB or other forums to compete with. :twocents:

Reactions: smt 59 and dmanns67
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
On the whole app thing - not a bad idea, but it would require programming the app and also programming the back end support to work with said app, and AFAIK none of us are programmers.

How much do you think would it cost to hire a programmer and have an app made ?

Which phone do you have? What I've done before if posting directly from my phone is to take pics at a lower megapixel. My phone has the photo size setting right next to the other options so with a quick tap I can drop it from 12M to 3.7M right quick.

I usually use my PC for all my stuff though.

I use a Nokia Lumia 830. The lowest setting takes pictures at 4 MB as they are also living images. The highest being at 16 MB. On my PC I can save the picture as a normal pic (i.e. not living) hence getting it at 123 KB without losing any of the quality :thumbsup:. It is a long process but totally worth it judging by the quality :2thumbsup:

Sleep is overrated haha

I see you haven't been sleeping anytime soon :blinkhuh:

smt 59

The donation campaigns were to help cover operating costs, because our other revenue streams were falling short. Servers, storage, hosting fees, etc. It used to list how much we needed, vs how much was donated, for each item. You can see how many members donated to help out...

The membership upgrade section used to list what was gained with the purchase. Not sure if that got wiped out with the last software change or what. Maybe one of the admins can fix that.

Now as far as WHY you should donate? Simply because the forum needs help, and you want to. (IF you want to, that is) The core here is a dying platform that's been out of production for over 6 years now. So our base as a whole is constantly shrinking as people upgrade and move on to newer vehicles, even if there wasn't FB or other forums to compete with. :twocents:
Well said, finally someone that can see why traffic is down.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I guess im considered an OG since ive been around since the days of the OS??? but I've just lost interest all together. I haven't been to a meet in over 2 years (I at least attended 1 every year since 2008), i dont take many pix anymore, haven't even driven my truck in the past 4 months, and quite frankly... it's a dying platform and I just don't have the time a. Also since I have an SS, a mojority of the motor/tuning/suspension questions can't be answered here, so I go on ssowners... hell, my 12 second SS isn't even considered fast anymore by today's standards with stock cars reaching those times at the track. So I just pop in every so often, see that much hasn't changed, and poof... I'm gone again.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You should show up to a meet this year. Seriously. We're trying to get some ideas again but getting meets together has become harder too :frown:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I'm fully aware that tapatalk costs money I have been here the whole time this was going on. My point is is an investment, I'm not saying bring back tapatalk because "I" like it. ...I'm saying people in general like apps. If we invest in the app I believe it will help us generate revenue. Along with some of the other suggestions that have been mentioned of course with Google and adding a subtitle. Rehashing "the past" is exactly what we need to do, if it is decided to bring it back then it would change things right? The forum had a lot more activity before some changes were made, wouldn't it make sense for this to be realized and something else be done? Need to get back to how things used to be. Even Bill left for Christ's sakes. ....

I said all of that shit way earlier, nobody pays attention until someone else says it.

You sir have nailed it right there. Hats off to you :tiphat:

Sure thing......

Reactions: swede

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just sayin...lot of ignorance in this thread.

But we all got to whine somewhere. May as well be here!

swede

Jun 22, 2014

It should be explained thoroughly under the tab "Donations" and it looks like nobody donated anything after Dec19 2015 :blinkhuh:

Tapatalk was an issue before cost and the price was the final nail in the coffin.

Yeah I heard it more then ones now, but new potential members aren't interested in your opinion. The only thing they are interested in is an easy way to access our site. Even if tapatalk isn't the best app I don't see you coming up with any other solutions?

What I've done for sites I visit regularly on my phone (which are very few actually as I don't like using my phone for most of that kind of thing) is just have a bookmark icon on my home screen going straight there. Since the mobile site is pretty decent IMO (I know other opinions may vary) that seems to work well.

Just my 2 cents...

Yeah yeah yeah, the mobile site works wonders for most of you. But nobody is considering what other potential new ppl want or like. It's like me me me me me

It used to list how much we needed, vs how much was donated, for each item. You can see how many members donated to help out...

Totally agree, the forum platform you used earlier was way better in my opinion. All the above was on it and we had the gallery with a ton of pictures from member rides, plus probably other options that we don't have now.

Well said, finally someone that can see why traffic is down.

Good, and what's been done to increase the traffic???

Just sayin...lot of ignorance in this thread.

But we all got to whine somewhere. May as well be here!

Agree and the ignorance goes both ways my friend.

Bingo. The older crowd of enthusiasts is moving on and the new are entitled to instant gratification of the book of faces. Forums are somewhat ancient tech for them and not worth the minimal effort. Sad but true. Lazy Punks :deadhorse:

With that attitude maybe we just scrap the forum then and be done with it?

I'm not bashing anybody but when reading all the post from members who been around from day one in different threads I just see problems, nobody is coming up with any solutions. It's like: I don't like that, That's crappy, It's not working, Works perfect for me and so on and on and on ............

I don't see anywhere any solutions or suggestions on the problems we have, why is that?

Have you ever heard of the saying:

"There are no problems only solutions"

New members are trying to pitch new ways but get shut down pretty quick, why should we donate?
I mean I my self offered to donate $50 for tapatalk, that's 5 months worth at no cost for the site. But all I see is "Tapatalk is crap we do NOT want it back!!

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Because all you see is me, me, me. If it was just $50 for tapa and that was it- maybe, but there is more to it and even though You want it and will pay that, sorry.
The mobile site was designed to eliminate the need for an app. That is where it stands and I am sorry you can't accept that.

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Because all you see is me, me, me. If it was just $50 for tapa and that was it- maybe, but there is more to it and even though You want it and will pay that, sorry.
The mobile site was designed to eliminate the need for an app. That is where it stands and I am sorry you can't accept that.

Well that's were you're wrong, it's not about MEEEE. I thought you read all my post where I'm nagging about what new potential members want.

You have to think about other ppl outside this group, has nothing to do with me or you or the rest of us. It's all have to do with what new ppl want, and they don't want a mobile site. You even sad it your self in a previous post.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonH

Members Online