FEEDBACK Cmon Folks!!! Wheres all the people? Just a year ago this site..

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
I've been a member since I bought my TB EXT about 15 months ago, and still visit daily, though I haven't contributed anything in a while, in part due to funding shortage for planned mods and upgrades, and fewer outings in the last couple of months. I'm hoping both those situations will improve in the spring, and give me more reason to post here again.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Still here, though I've answered things on FB more than here lately. Gearing up to replace motor mounts, and already found the info I needed, so there wasn't much reason to post anything, unless I trip over some astonishing new way to deal with them... :wink:

Cheers-

Chris

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
There is part of our problem. Answering things on FB is killing the traffic here and then the bills do not get paid and the site dies.

great to help people but we all should do better at using links to here to answer FB stuff IMO

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Gives me another reason to hate FB :explode:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It's nice to keep in touch with people... but it shouldn't be an extension of your life imo.

Reactions: Harpo

DESSKI

Nov 6, 2015
Sherman Oaks, California
I came to this site from FB, haven't driven the beast in so long since I have other more economical vehicles to drive daily. I've never needed much tech info since ownership but as my kids are getting older theirs more group events we attend so that's why I'm here. Been on tahoeyukonforum.com with this same screen name.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Welcome. Glad to see the site getting some members from there instead of sucking members away from here

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Welcome. Glad to see the site getting some members from there instead of sucking members away from here

I have noticed you have not been answering questions, but commenting a link to this site on either FB page. Good idea and will hopefully get new active members to join. I noticed we have members join daily, but none of them seem to be active. Its been a while since I have seen a member introduction thread here.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Most are from the "get my answer and run" crowd.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Trkdrvremt

Oct 22, 2014
NJ
Still here for the most part... Work has been unbelievably busy this season. Now that we are almost done I should be more active...

smt 59

This thread just proves that the social part of the forum is lacking, yes the technical is necessary but to keep people active on here you need the social part to keep the traffic flow and people just checking in daily. Just my opinion as it seems that before all the changes that there was a lot more activity here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nah. Even before the switch, I had noticed the drop in traffic. Maybe we haven't been recruiting as much on the OS, which incidentally coincides with Roadie's hiatus.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It is time for a super meet.... actually that would never work.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you're talking about the member map and location under the avatar, I doubt that is the attraction to a particular forum. The initial attraction to a forum is to seek information. The rest is just bonus. It's not the social stuff that will attract new members.

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Nah. Even before the switch, I had noticed the drop in traffic. Maybe we haven't been recruiting as much on the OS, which incidentally coincides with Roadie's hiatus.

Traffic might be down, but the membership rate seems to be doing ok. If you go to the "Members" section, you can see all of the newest members. We had (4) join today and (5) join yesterday, could not see further back than that. It does not help that all these new members are not active posters.

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just the nature of forums. The majority are lurkers. It's only those that are truly passionate about the subject, will stay and be active. But even that passion can run out.

Reactions: Capote and dmanns67

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I have noticed you have not been answering questions, but commenting a link to this site on either FB page. Good idea and will hopefully get new active members to join. I noticed we have members join daily, but none of them seem to be active. Its been a while since I have seen a member introduction thread here.
Maybe say no tech questions on the FB group? Not sure if that would work to drive people over here...

Reactions: Capote and MAY03LT

tcurlee

Mar 28, 2015
Yep, I'm here too. I haven't been real active mainly b/c I haven't had to. The Envoy's been doing really well ... up until today. I posted in the engine section about a non-starting problem a little while ago. I came over from the TV forum. I'm glad you guys are here. There is a wealth of info on this site. I'll look into a membership and donation ,, I don't want this site to go away. I'll try to be more active on here. I've had my 05 Envoy since new and have no plans on getting rid of it. Maybe one day I'll even get an Avatar!!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Just the nature of forums. The majority are lurkers. It's only those that are truly passionate about the subject, will stay and be active. But even that passion can run out.

That's true. I would imagine as the 360/370 platform continues to age from year to year, there will be a decline in traffic. Unfortunately, at the moment, that seems to be the majority of GMTN's traffic.

Maybe say no tech questions on the FB group? Not sure if that would work to drive people over here...

I think that would require HEAVY moderation to prevent no "tech" questions. Where would you draw the line? Can they ask what bulb goes into the low beam? Or is the line when they ask how to go about replacing the low beam headlight? All rhetorical questions.

Would be better if the fb page got deleted. Just my opinion.

But then everyone would migrate to the "GMT360 fan club" page which already has more activity than the GMTN page anyways.

The 360 fan page is very active. Hell, the guy that started the page posted that he got rid of his TrailBlazer. Not sure who, if anyone, is running that page anymore.

On the other side, I have informed many of those people on FB about this site to seek additional information. Not sure if they joined or not, but its less of a headache/drama than trying to recruit on TV.

Reactions: djthumper

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Facebook will always be there no matter what we do about the technical side. If I know something is on here I actually try to drive them over here.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:confused: Who started that page?

Aaron Silverman started the GMT360 FB fan page about 7 years ago. Last post I seen from him a couple months ago said he got rid of his 360. Possibly for another GMT, but not sure. I think HT is the only other admin on that page, at least according to the group info.

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
I admit it, I'm a lurker. I check in a couple of times a week when I get a chance to see what's new. I have seen a plug or two for this site on other, unrelated, forums.

I saw a plug for the old site on the rockauto newsletter. Maybe that would help to boost traffic!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have been doing the fan page. I may start deleting tech ?s from there. Might need to add in someone to help if it were to go full bore on no tech.

I do think a few of us doing the link to here or offroad is helping.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Re; Efforts to Increase Membership....

I just had an idea prompted by an earlier suggestion from @BlazingTrails ... What about "GMT Nation" High Temperature Vanity Decals for embedding into or onto Red or Black Brake Caliper Paint. This is a fairly inexpensive and unique way of Logo Branding the GMT360 Carline Series...and perhaps a cool way to perpetually advertise... right from the many fine GMT vehicles already Decked out with Dope Wheels and Lights?

http://global1graphics.com/product/custom-brake-caliper-decals/

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's an idea like any but would be in the niche market. How many actually detail their calipers to that point? And exposure wise, may not be the best. Would be good for those in the car show circuit. Simple window decals would be more effective.

Reactions: xavierny25

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I agree about Facebook being evil, but it is also the reality for folks of the age that will be driving 360s. I think we should worry less about more restrictions and concentrate more on being easy-going, welcoming, helpful and most of all - ENTHUSIASTIC.

I have mentioned before that one of the best qualities about this forum is that it is full of enthusiasts who LOVE their ride. I think we should market that aspect of this forum MORE. I don't personally see anything wrong wit giving out quick technical advice on the FB page and then steering folks to this forum. Facebook is the modern reality.

If the Facebook group is a bit of a chore, I would be glad to help. PM me. I would be the enthusiast on there.

I also wonder what it would take to convince the Roadie to come out of retirement?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Its not so much the GMTN FB group, but the Trailblazer, Envoy, etc Fan FB page. The FB page was started by someone who is not affiliated with this forum. That FB page receives way more traffic than the GMTN FB page, I assume because many people do not know what a GMT is. The other FB will come up when searching any of the GMT360 models. Most of the questions that are posted there have been cover by threads that are already started here or could be better answered by starting a thread here.

I think the thought process behind creating a GMTN FB page was to get the word out about this forum and not to be used as a way of posting technical questions. After being apart of either group for a while, you will start to see the same questions over and over. All of the information is lost after a couple weeks. You cannot search the FB for help like you can a forum.

I think that both FB pages are better suited for posts like you would see in "What did you do to your GMT today thread".

On the other hand, there are WAY more ACTIVE members on the FB groups than here on the forum. The appeal is greater to be able to make a post and have it be seen by a couple hundred people in a matter of seconds versus waiting for responses on a forum or even taking the time to search. Personally, I receive notifications on my phone when someone makes a new post on either one of the FB pages, so I see the questions almost instantly.

FB posts seems to be the #1 go-to research resource for the younger generation. Hell, even a simple Google search would answer their questions and save time from posting on FB.

For the most part, anyone asking for help, receives help. If the technical questions get too in-depth, need wiring diagrams, pictures, part numbers, etc, most of us will direct them to this forum.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online