Yelp Retaliation?

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
My wife had been complaining about the dirty light in the entryway since we moved in last year. So I called a company that had decent Yelp reviews and scheduled them for an estimate. I specifically told them that the light hangs over 15 feet high.

While on the phone I decided to get an estimate to clean the windows since it was wifey's birthday and she'd been complaining about the windows too. I was told $179 for 25 windows, more windows will cost more and the light would be cleaned for free. I was told that the supervisor would come out give me the price before starting so I could decide if I wanted to proceed or not.

The crew came out quoted a price (which was fair) but said they didn't have a ladder tall enough to clean the light, the only reason I called in the first place. The wife said if they can't clean the light then we'll find someone who can do everything at the same time.

I logged onto Yelp and, had I reviewed them at this point, I would have given them 4 stars for the effort and said sorry it didn't work out.

I gave them only 1 star because less than 5 minutes after the crew leaves I get a call from someone at the company (owner, manager, supervisor not sure which but doesn't really matter). He says with attitude "My guys drive all the way out there and you tell them you didn't want the job done? Thanks a lot!" At which point I told him and his attitude to go F off.

I don't know which world this guy lives in, but in the real world a salesman can't make every sale. And follow up phone calls like that tell the ones that you don't sell to that you never want their business in the future. Not a smart business model.

One week later (last night) someone egged our house, keyed my car, and put a dent in the fender. Only our house was targeted so it was not a random crime. Our house is in the back of the gated subdivision, so it was not a crime or opportunity. They purposely waited for someone to open the subdivision gate, followed them through and drove to our house with the intention of committing a crime

We've lived in the neighborhood for 1 1/2 years and have not even had a cross word or look from any neighbor. The only altercation we've had was with this company, and the crime happened a week after they came out. Coincidence? Maybe but who else would target only us? I think it was in retaliation for the bad review.

Had they just egged the house I would have washed it off and gone about my day. But the damage to the car was uncalled for and the police agree that is a crime worthy of prosecution.

That's how my thanksgiving started, hope yours is better.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sorry about the retaliation, but Yelp is a great way to tell the truth about scumbags. I give out great reviews when warranted, and BLAST the criminals who advertise by illegal email spam or leaflet litter or phone calls to numbers on the federal DNC list.

A complaint to the local BBB is another way to get their attention.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
That is a bummer. Our window washing quotes were each $2,000 Needless to say, we didn't have them done either. I struggle to believe these guys came in to your neighborhood and did these things to you. I've gotta believe nobody is going to risk the consequenses of getting caught for a bad yelp review. As for the BBB, I have less than zero conficence in them. Did you see the expose on I think 20-20 about how they operate and assigng ratings? You pay to play with the BBB completely the antithesis of how I always believed they operated. I may travel across the country 5 times and incur thousands and thousands of dollars of expenses to never get a certain piece of business.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Unbelievable that someone could do that, to purposely damage someone else's property. I don't know what it is with some people other than to say they have mental health issues and don't function normally. What did they gain by doing that? I hope they get caught somehow. To bad you or other neighbors didn't have video or something that the police could follow up on.

I remember once my wife was leaving for work on a garbage day morning. Back then she had a 1980 Mercury Marquis, big boat. As I looked out the window I see her walking back up the driveway with tears running down her face. What's up I ask? Someone filled my car up with garbage. As I look around at the neighbors driveways I notice none of them had any garbage at the curb, that's because some ignorant little bastards put it all in her car, stuffed it full! No point calling the police because nobody saw anything. I recall taking the baby monitor transmitter and plugging it in and putting it under the car. I sat in the house listening on the receiver night after night to everything going on outside hoping I would hear them come back and be able to catch them in the act or hear them talking as they walked past the house.

Years later, same car parked on the road in front of the house at night. I was sitting on the front porch in the dark drinking beers. I hear some kids coming up the road so I look up and see 3 walking and one pushing his bike. As they passed her car he jammed the handle bar into the paint on the back quarter panel and scratched the entire lenght of the car (big boat) right up to the front bumper. I was absolutely blown away by what I just saw and my andrenaline started racing as I try to determine what to do. I walked around the car and verified there was a scratch and called them over to explain. They didn't wanna talk about it. I snatched the kids bike outta his hand and put it in my garage and called the police knowing he wasn't leaving the bike here. Even tho I had a few beer I still think I did the right thing rather than lose it on the kid. I ended up to get his name and number before the police arrived. When they did I told him what I saw and wrote a statement. Because I new the kids name and number it was suggested that I was just picking on him. He asked why my eyes were red and I said I had been drinking some beers on the front step. Then he says well maybe you didn't see what you think you saw. The police called the father who came out to look at the damage and said not to worry that he would pay for it. He said his other son is in the hospital and thats why he damaged my wifes car :confused:. He never did end up to pay me anything for it at all.

Some friggin people eh? :crazy:

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Jkust said:
I struggle to believe these guys came in to your neighborhood and did these things to you. I've gotta believe nobody is going to risk the consequenses of getting caught for a bad yelp review.

Normally I would agree with you, I'm not the paranoid type and if ours had been hit with a few other houses in the subdivision I would have said "Aww, just some punk ass kids with too much time on their hands".

But there are over 90 houses in our subdivision and ONLY our house was hit. And as I said, we're nearly in the back so they'd have to drive by about 30-40 houses before they get to ours. This was directed at us specifically, unless its like the scene in "The Jerk" where some lunatic picked our name out of the phone book. It was someone who was pissed off at us. And as I said earlier, this was the only hostility with anyone since we moved here.

I think someone at the company either the guy who called me (supervisor) or the ones who came out, saw the review, stewed on it for a few days, had a few too many and in an alcohol fueled act decided to "show that guy who needs their windows cleaned!"

Until I see evidence to the contrary, that's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :yes:

Edit: Maybe the guy who called me got fired or demoted after the owner saw the review. That would explain it.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Wow...that's pretty messed up! I hope justice is served where it is due, and that you don't have to worry about this in the future. Good luck!

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I always wondered the value of the gated communities. Here in MN they don't exist...we don't have them. There's only one which is the exception that I'm aware of in total in the state and they are ultra strict but the whole neighborhood is full of several million dollar houses. When I travel down south, they are everywhere. I've rented houses in several of them and most, not all, just need a code to open the gate or a remote.

Now if someone got fired because of your review, which I doubt would happen given the conversation you had with the owner, I could see it as the most outside of chances. I mean, first you loose your job and they you go and committ, what gross midsemeanors too? All that for a window washing position.

Do you maybe have teenagers that this could have been directed toward? Was it your Envoy that was keyed? Which parts did they get?

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Update: Repair estimate $1125 - $500 deductible = insurance payment of $625

Jkust said:
I always wondered the value of the gated communities.

The gate is for appearance only, all you have to do is ride in on someone's coat tails when they open. There's a call box at the gate that guests are supposed to use, but most just wait for someone to go through in front of them. Fedex, UPS, pizza delivery etc. all come and go as they please. The only people the gates seem to keep out is the people you invite. :yes: There's a neighborhood up the road that has 24 hour security at the gate, but that's WAY above our income level.

Jkust said:
Now if someone got fired because of your review, which I doubt would happen given the conversation you had with the owner, I could see it as the most outside of chances. I mean, first you loose your job and they you go and committ, what gross midsemeanors too? All that for a window washing position.

As I said it's only a theory due to the circumstances and the timing, I can't prove anything. Plus the ones I dealt with all seemed to be in their early 20's and may have acted out of immaturity rather than logic.

Jkust said:
Do you maybe have teenagers that this could have been directed toward?

Just my four year old daughter. Her classmates in daycare seem to have a birthday every week, maybe one of them didn't like their birthday present :rotfl:

Jkust said:
Was it your Envoy that was keyed? Which parts did they get?

Passenger side from the front door handle to the rear fender.
View attachment 24174

Attachments

• CAM00113.jpg
    CAM00113.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 6
  • CAM00112.jpg
    CAM00112.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 6
  • CAM00111.jpg
    CAM00111.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 6
  • CAM00109.jpg
    CAM00109.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 6

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Wow thats some pretty hefty key markings.

Jkust I would not put it past some people. It does not sound like a coincidence either. I will say after my truck was broke into I did not sleep well for a few weeks, it really did not matter it is just a truck. I think it was just the feeling of insecurity that if its that easy to bust out the window, grab the HU and visor screens all within 20' of another apartments front door, then how hard would it be to get into my apartment etc.

A quick solution to verify would be to pickup a camcorder and set it up in your window facing out. Most digital cameras can record a good amount of video on a 32gb SD card.

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
A quick solution to verify would be to pickup a camcorder and set it up in your window facing out. Most digital cameras can record a good amount of video on a 32gb SD card.

I been researching security cameras, looks like i can get a 4 camera system for about $120 and install it myself. If they come back after I get it repaired, I'll have some evidence to give to the police.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Dad-O-Matic said:
I been researching security cameras, looks like i can get a 4 camera system for about $120 and install it myself. If they come back after I get it repaired, I'll have some evidence to give to the police.

Pay the extra for the "HD", I bought a Zimodo one which said it was 480 lines (resolution was terrible). Sent it back. Also the ones I have seen for $120 have no hard drive. I found the one I want and its about $500. 4 exterior camera's, 2 interior, 500gb hard drive, WiFi connect, Smartphone monitoring etc. It also allows for wireless camera connectivity, would like to put a camera at the end of the driver way in a tree. This one has 600 lines and had great reviews.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Wow thats some pretty hefty key markings.

Jkust I would not put it past some people. It does not sound like a coincidence either. I will say after my truck was broke into I did not sleep well for a few weeks, it really did not matter it is just a truck. I think it was just the feeling of insecurity that if its that easy to bust out the window, grab the HU and visor screens all within 20' of another apartments front door, then how hard would it be to get into my apartment etc.

I saw this advertised locally here at $149.00, a video security light. Lights up the area so video is clear. No one would know the camera is there. Interesting idea :undecided:...

Attachments

• 8440646.jpg
    8440646.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Not sure if it has its own cctv or not, you might need a dvr. Also most of the kits use IR cameras, but nothing beats real light.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ok wow that is bad damage. What really makes me struggle is that a week passed. Even by 24 hours you are likely calmed down and in a week you'd have yourself a nice new window washing position.

I always feel that keying is personal though and really just insulting among other things.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Call the company and ask if someone lost their job over your appointent or review. May have a suspect to put the police one.

Or go shoot up the business with an AK47 and call it a day:raspberry:

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Call the company and ask if someone lost their job over your appointent or review. May have a suspect to put the police one.

Yep, the detective said that unless someone confesses there's really nothing they can do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938