Windshield washer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can't. They're different. Been there.

Reactions: Harpo

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Whaoa.😱
Almost lost the truck last Sunday.
A pipe under the exhaust manifold from the tranny snapped clean off because of corrotion. The fluid spewed out over the manifold and the first hottest part of the exhaust pipe and caught fire.
Stopped the car an told the family to get out as fast as they could, opens the hood and there was a fire all over the exhaust and cat.
Threw out the stuff in the boot to get my extinguisher. Crawled under the side of the truck and just managed to get the fire out with my tiny 1 kg powder extinguisher. I only gave it four short bursts of powder before it was empty.
Thank God it was enough to take care of it.
Had it towed back home with a towtruck.

So now it sits there in the driveway, I have not yet looked at what damage had been done, saves that for the weekend.
Hopefully no damage is done to wires etc, but there is not much there except maybe the lambda wires. But I don't think it's to much damage due to where the fire was and the time it was burning when stopped, not much more than 30-40 sec before I was on it.

That is probably one of the BIG reasons these trucks catch fire I'm afraid.

Memo to myself: I got to get a bigger extinguisher 🤔.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, has been reported in the past. Why they don't use stainless lines on these is beyond me. Luckily you put it out and everybody's safe.

The lines are available thorough RA and probably other outlets. Just getting to them on the tranny can be a pain.

Reactions: Matt and Harpo

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Glad you and your family are OK! My trans cooler lines corroded awhile back, but luckily just started to seep rather than breaking and spraying. New lines from Rock Auto weren't that bad costwise. I got the little low profile disconnect tool for the pipe connections. That tool and dropping the transmission slightly gave me the space I needed to get to the upper part of the transmission where they clip in. Also helps if you have a jack or lift that will give you more than 15" of clearance underneath. Gives you more room to maneuver the pipes.

Had a vent hose burp on my old S10. Sprayed transmission fluid all over the exhaust, and as I was sitting at a light, saw smoke coming up from the wiper cowl. Got rolling again, and it seemed to stop....until I pulled in my driveway. Parked, looked, and didn't see anything. Went inside to drop off some things, came back out, and had thick smoke coming out from under the hood. Grabbed the extinguisher, opened the hood, and got a good shot at the exhaust before it flared up in my face.
Luckily only had to replace one wire pair and connector. Not really a fun time.

Again, glad you and yours are all OK!

Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not to get too off topic, found this thread on the R&R of the lines:

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Not to clutter this thread with to much OT.
But I managed to fix the truck today.
It was quite some damage to the wires that are in that area.
The front diff actuator got the worst hit,all insulation on most wires was gone, and the wires to the ABS sensor I had to splize in new wires.I actually had a almost new pipe on my spare engine, it was kind of messed up but I managed to bend it a bit to make it at least almost look right. At least it's in place and working.
I lost about 5 litres of fluid.

It took me almost all day to fix it, but I managed to at least take a look at the washers.
I got no power at the pump, no power at the relay, the fuses are ok, then it got to dark to continue. I hope I have time to look at it some more tomorrow.IMG_20200522_121104053.jpg

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
watched the video, my problem is a weak stream on the drivers side only, (09 TB, 157K)
move the lever, wipes run through cycle, only one spray of fluid.
pass. side spays fine, drivers side just kinda pours out of nozzle, like there is not enough pressure behind it. started out spraying only half way up windshield, then intermittently, would work fine,
now it just pours out nozzle not even reaching windshield.
failing washer fluid motor?
TIA

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Probably nothing wrong with your washer motor.
Sound like the hose is plugged with some kind of debris. Try disconnect the hose and blow it clean, preferable with compressed air. Then take a needle or something and check the nozzle for dirt, and you should be ok. Sometimes it would plug up again after a short time,if so do it again.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could also be dirt in the nozzle itself. Be careful with the needle in the nozzle as that can ruin the fan spray pattern and wind up with a single stream shooting to the windshield (been there). Try compressed air first backwards.

Reactions: fletch09 and Harpo

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had intermittent issues with a clog on my driver side nozzle on the TB. I'd blow it clear and it would be fine for a while then randomly get weird and go to a funky low half useless spray partern again.

Worst case, a new nozzle is pretty cheap I think.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Just an FYI. Be wary of washer fluid that contains things that have additives like Rain-X. They can coagulate and clog the hoses. I had to siphon everything out of mine and rinse it out.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Stay away from the cheap walmart fluid too. Maybe this is only an issue in hot climates but after sitting for a few months blobs of white gunk form in the fluid and will clog nozzles and lines.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
ok, that did the trick. did reversed air first, disconnected the line, there is a little (what looks like) check valve in the line for the front washers. reversed air again, then forward air a couple times.
sprays like a b***h now. thank you for all your suggestions:tiphat:

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Hey guys

I have to admit that we probably never going to solve this washer mystery☹️.
I have retired the Trailblazer,bit just sits in my backyard since June and will be sold when I found a new suitable vehicle.

I'm currently driving a Mercedes GL 320 I bought as a emergency solution before my summer vacation. I'm going to sell that as soon as I can because it's to small for my family.
I'm currently looking for either a Suburban flexfuel or maybe a Dodge Durango V6 flexfuel, if that is big enough inside for the family.
Why did I buy a MB ??, That was my only option unfortunately after I found a very nice low milage GMC Envoy XL 2005. The guy that had it for sale put the ad out and then left for vacation for a week🙄, I waited for a week and he should call me as soon he was home again. A week passed and I waited for that call, looking at that ad and was happy I found such a nice XL. Then suddenly the ad was gone, sold/removed it said. I thought wtf is going on??!!. I texted the guy and asked him what's going on,I'm waiting for you to call me so I can get up there and get the GMC.
No answer for a long time, then he texted , -send me your telephone number.
His girlfriend called me and said they was shocked,because they thought they sold the truck to me😱. As it turns out there was a second guy that just as they got home on Sunday evening, texted - is it ok if I come tomorrow to get the truck?. They thought is was me and never questioned it. And therefore never called or texted me that they got home.
I really think that it was a honest mistake, but it left me hanging a few days before my vacation with the caravan and nothing to tow it with🥵.
So therefore I'm a not so happy owner of a to small MB.
This year has been a never-ending bad luck year, one thing after another all year long😤.

Ok, I'll stop ranting for now.
I have a feeling that I will be back with a Suburban shortly 🤓

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Hi guys

I still got the TB.
I sold the MB and tried to find another suitable truck with no luck. Big SUVs have been skyrocketing pricevice here in Sweden. Have no idea why. And if a private seller has an ad out for a suburban 2007 for 145" sek, a cardealer buys it before I get a chance to react and have for sale again with a 50k sek higher price two days later.I don't pay that kind of ridiculous money for a -07 with high milage.

So, i had to buy another " not what I want" car this year to. This time a Volvo xc90 that is even smaller than the MB gl320 from last year.

Regarding this thread i was browsing around for replacement cars i found a good Vin decoder site and was checking my TB s vin and found this regarding my pulsating washers, never seen that before.

CE1WIPER SYSTEM WINDSHIELD, PULSE, MOISTURE SENSITIVE

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is there a round sensor on the windshield? When you put it on intermittent, it will "see" how much rain is on the windshield and wipe as required. Putting it at a faster delay will make it more sensitive. I have it on my Avalanche. Couldn't stand it and in winter was even more a PITA so I disconnected the sensor and it works as a normal intermittent delay wiper.

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Is there a round sensor on the windshield? When you put it on intermittent, it will "see" how much rain is on the windshield and wipe as required. Putting it at a faster delay will make it more sensitive. I have it on my Avalanche. Couldn't stand it and in winter was even more a PITA so I disconnected the sensor and it works as a normal intermittent delay wiper.
Yes, of course it's the rain-sense wipers😂.
I think i was to tired at 02:30 and got exited because I saw "pulse"🥱😕.
And yes, that is annoying when you scrape the ice of the windshield 😤.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher