Will disconnecting battery to try to fix HVAC issues delete my remote accessability

tyzdenali

Original poster
May 7, 2015
Just wondering if when I try the battery disconnect method of trying to get my HVAC actuators to re-learn...will it cause my one and only remote key fob to not work? Thought I'd check before I did the disconnect.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
If you have the 4.2 and you disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or more, you better be ready to clean the throttle body. Disconnecting the battery for 30+ minutes resets the PCM and it loses it's learned tune that makes it run well with the dirty TB. After it resets, it thinks the TB is clean and will run poorly/die with the AC on until it relearns the dirty TB or you clean it.

Reactions: MAY03LT

tyzdenali

Original poster
May 7, 2015
If you have the 4.2 and you disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or more, you better be ready to clean the throttle body. Disconnecting the battery for 30+ minutes resets the PCM and it loses it's learned tune that makes it run well with the dirty TB. After it resets, it thinks the TB is clean and will run poorly/die with the AC on until it relearns the dirty TB or you clean it.
Thanks Mounce...but I have the 5.3...do you think it will be the same? I had only planned on disconnecting for a couple of minutes to see I could reset the HVAC actuators. I tried pulling the fuses, but it hasn't worked yet...I guess I'll keep trying.

Why not just pull the HVAC fuse to re-calibrate your actuators?
Hey BrownHP800...Thanks for the response...I actually did pull the fuses both under the hood and under the seat...trying to reset the actuators...I'll keep trying different things and thought I'd try the battery disconnect to see if that would work...otherwise I guess I'll have to replace the actuators. I just don't want to replace a part that might be fine but just needs to re-learn something...lol.

Thanks jpimp...man of very few words, but to the point. I appreciate your input.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you pulled the HVAC B fuse for a couple of minutes and it still doesn't work right, disconnecting the battery won't help. Remember that you have to let it recalibrate for a couple of minutes without touching anything. Just turn the key to On but don't start because it interrupts the recalibration.

What exactly is happening for you to try to recalibrate the HVAC? Dead actuator?

tyzdenali

Original poster
May 7, 2015
Mooseman said:
If you pulled the HVAC B fuse for a couple of minutes and it still doesn't work right, disconnecting the battery won't help. Remember that you have to let it recalibrate for a couple of minutes without touching anything. Just turn the key to On but don't start because it interrupts the recalibration.

What exactly is happening for you to try to recalibrate the HVAC? Dead actuator?
Hey Mooseman...I have air blowing at my feet but no air coming out of the top vents...it does however blow out thru the defrost vents...just not thru the face vents.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds more like a dead mode actuator. Try the recal one last time and then plan on replacing it.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
Are you sure that no one has closed the manual doors on the dash vents? (The little wheels at the top or sides) I had someone who borrowed the truck do that to me, and as I never close them, it took a couple of seconds for me to clue in to the problem.

tyzdenali

Original poster
May 7, 2015
BC backroader said:
Are you sure that no one has closed the manual doors on the dash vents? (The little wheels at the top or sides) I had someone who borrowed the truck do that to me, and as I never close them, it took a couple of seconds for me to clue in to the problem.
I wish it was that easy of a fix...I did check them, but alas...that's not the issue. I know that sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious...I did that on my bike. My sweetie was helping me clean and shine it and she flipped the kill switch (which I never used)...and it would't start, of course. I pulled the battery, checked wiring, took the battery to have it checked...fretted over it for a couple of days...then happened to look at the kill switch and laughed out loud. "What a dummy" I said to myself...flipped the switch and it started right up. (grin) Boy did I feel like an idiot, but I learned a very valuable lesson. Check the easy stuff first. LOL. Thanks for your response. I really do appreciate it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaywebb25

Members Online