Why you may need to clean a 4.2L I6 Throttle Body

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
You can try, but the procedure was proven by years of success at trailvoy. The back of the throttle body usually looks like a Dodge City spittoon after 30 years of use in the 1800's, which was then put away in a museum, uncleaned, and dried out for the next hundred years. The cleaning process isn't that bad, but you have to take it off and get on the backside and around the knife-edge of the butterfly disk where the sticky buildup interferes with smooth operation. The center of the back of the disk always looks bad, but never needs cleaning like the rest, because it's not interfering. I don't think it would surprise anybody to hear that I don't even bother with the center of the back of the disk. Saves me a minute per cleaning. But I like leaving dirt in hidden places because it bothers the OCD members to read that. :raspberry:

When I cleaned mine it was the edges that took the most time. I had to let the cleaner pool over some crud for minute before wiping the area clean. Several spots took multiple passes to get clean.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online