which years are swapable?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
couldn't really find a definitive answer but what year engines can be swapped?

can a 05 take a 07? i know you can put a 06 but how about 07, i have read that it will work since they changed the crank in 08-09

any truth to this?

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
What a good topic. I was at the pull a part yard a couple weeks back and wondered if Bravada tails would work on my TB. (Answer is yes) This requires knowledge that is above me. Hopefully one of the mods will pin this once it gets answered because it's a good reference.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think there was something with the MAfs, I read a thread somewhere that had all compatible models but some things changed like oil level sensors and stuff. So I'm not sure.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
littleblazer said:
I think there was something with the MAfs, I read a thread somewhere that had all compatible models but some things changed like oil level sensors and stuff. So I'm not sure.
As far as I know the 06 year was the complete redesign of these engines including the maf, new heads, exhaust manifold to match heads and new cams. other changes that effected swapping was the temp sensor being moved to the rear of the engine on the exhaust side and the maf wiring.

iirc the 06 PCM also had availability in the pcm to run efans which can be enabled in the pcm by means of a tune or it may of had been 07

The 07 year may or may not be the first year that they switched to the 58x crank and the 1mb pcm which would also mean that it would have a ECM (engine control module) and TCM (transmission control module) not a pcm (powertrain control module) so that would make swapping a 07 impossible unless you changed the crankshaft or use a crank signal translator.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
The big sticking point when swapping engines is the crankshaft reluctor. 2002-2007 is 7x. 2008 and 2009 are 58x. There is no easy way to swap an 08-09 into a 02-07 chassis and vice versa.
Everything else is pretty manageable. When swapping engines keep your stock harness and your stock PCM. The coolant temp sensor moved in 2006. Fuel rail is returnless starting 05 I think.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
limequat said:
The big sticking point when swapping engines is the crankshaft reluctor. 2002-2007 is 7x. 2008 and 2009 are 58x. There is no easy way to swap an 08-09 into a 02-07 chassis and vice versa.
Everything else is pretty manageable. When swapping engines keep your stock harness and your stock PCM. The coolant temp sensor moved in 2006. Fuel rail is returnless starting 05 I think.
Thank you for a final answer im shure someone looking for this will find this helpful. Also yes 05 was the first year with a return less fuel rail.

One other thing is if a mod reads this can you change the title to what engine years and parts are swappable

Also let's keep this thread going what else is swappable?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Just wondering if you can swap the 08+ year lower control arm as far as I can tell you only need the LCA, new link and 08+ sway bar.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
limequat said:
Couldn't you just swap the engine harness/computer with the engine? As long as you do that any year should work no? Obviously Change the tank/lines or block the old return off for 05+.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
SnowBlazer said:
What a good topic. I was at the pull a part yard a couple weeks back and wondered if Bravada tails would work on my TB. (Answer is yes) This requires knowledge that is above me. Hopefully one of the mods will pin this once it gets answered because it's a good reference.
If you're referring to Bravada Tail Lights - the answer is no. Bravada/Rainier/9-7x will fit eachother but will not fit in a Trailblazer or vice versa.

Reactions: djthumper

2002ltz

Dec 26, 2015
vermont
Bringing a thread back from the dead, so if I wanted to swap a 06 I6 motor into my 02 I would be ok? My local tuner uses HP Tuners, so I know my tune would be set just making sure on motor swap.

Thanks

Josh

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There was also the fuel injection system that changed in '05 to a returnless system so you would have to keep the '02 system. You would also have to keep the '02 PCM because of it too. Coils changed in '06 too. There may be more issues.

Welcome to the Nation!

2002ltz

Dec 26, 2015
vermont
I thought I read somewhere on one of the forums here or other TB sites that someone had successfully done the swap. So keep my PCM and have the tune done to run the 06 motor, what if I swapped a 06 transmission in? would there be issues there or just plug and play. Im creeping on 213k and would like to put something a little younger in there. My 02 is very surprisingly rust free and being from Vermont that is rare to say the least.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think the tranny would be an issue. Just need to check that the connector is the same.

Anything can be done. Just the work, time and money that can be limiting factors. I know some things but not everything so maybe somebody with a little more knowledge will chime in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online