which undercoat has good results?

rmsg0040

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Hey guys, I was painting my frame today and yesterday. I used rust check black undercoating. This stuff is okay but sprays hard and drips like crazy. As seen in the pics it dripped on the exhaust piping and also sprayed on the shocks. I also used princess auto's rust paint too on the passenger side. It sprays nice but has a harsh smell.

Any suggestions on what to use and what will hold up?

Thanks

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use $0.99 spray paint since I tend to rape my frame over rocks fairly often. There is prolly dozens of coats in some areas and 1 in others, but it has worked well for me. Cheap and easy, plus looks good.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I use $0.99 spray paint since I tend to rape my frame over rocks fairly often. There is prolly dozens of coats in some areas and 1 in others, but it has worked well for me. Cheap and easy, plus looks good.

Of course the fact that you paint over top of the mud helps as well. Its kind of like rubber coating then. :raspberry:

jham

Nov 20, 2011
rmsg0040 said:
Hey guys, I was painting my frame today and yesterday. I used rust check black undercoating. This stuff is okay but sprays hard and drips like crazy. As seen in the pics it dripped on the exhaust piping and also sprayed on the shocks. I also used princess auto's rust paint too on the passenger side. It sprays nice but has a harsh smell.

Any suggestions on what to use and what will hold up?

Thanks

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

I have found that dupli-color bed armor works very well. I have had it on my truck for only 3 months but seems to be holding up great. I used lots of lights coats to minimize the dripping

rmsg0040

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
the duplicolour bed armour is a paint on correct?

The rust check I used has a elastic rubbery feel to it. Hoped it holds through the winter.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
rmsg0040 said:
the duplicolour bed armour is a paint on correct?

The rust check I used has a elastic rubbery feel to it. Hoped it holds through the winter.

I believe they have spray on and roll on it feels like rhino lining

rmsg0040

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
just on their website, seen the paint on and spray on.

Is there a difference between the bed armour vs specific undercoating aerosols? In terms of durablilty and long term life?

jham

Nov 20, 2011
rmsg0040 said:
just on their website, seen the paint on and spray on.

Is there a difference between the bed armour vs specific undercoating aerosols? In terms of durablilty and long term life?

To me the bed armor is better. rubber dries out so would be more prone to not lasting as long IMO

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher