Which Battery?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I bought a brand new Isuzu Hombre (aka S-10 or Sonoma) that of course had an AC Delco battery, since the Hombre was built by GM. The positive post fell off on Friday on my way home form work, so Saturday when I get in the truck to go somewhere, nothing happened when I hit the key. I did a little searching/troubleshooting and found the positive cable (and the attachment point, the post as it was a side-post) laying in the battery tray. Called the Isuzu dealer where I bought the truck from and they said the battery only had a 1 year warranty. I had bought the truck 366 days earlier, so I was out. I called a GM dealer to see if they backed up the Isuzu dealer and they did. I went to Auto Zone that day for the DuraLast Gold and have never bought another brand of battery for my vehicles since.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
C-ya said:
I bought a brand new Isuzu Hombre (aka S-10 or Sonoma) that of course had an AC Delco battery, since the Hombre was built by GM. The positive post fell off on Friday on my way home form work, so Saturday when I get in the truck to go somewhere, nothing happened when I hit the key. I did a little searching/troubleshooting and found the positive cable (and the attachment point, the post as it was a side-post) laying in the battery tray. Called the Isuzu dealer where I bought the truck from and they said the battery only had a 1 year warranty. I had bought the truck 366 days earlier, so I was out. I called a GM dealer to see if they backed up the Isuzu dealer and they did. I went to Auto Zone that day for the DuraLast Gold and have never bought another brand of battery for my vehicles since.

Yeah...the DuraLast Gold would have been my next choice had I not found the blem,always had good luck with them...Mike.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Voymom said:
I need a new battery.

So which battery do you get, if indeed you got a new one?

NewfieEnvoy said:
My cheap alternative is a Costco battery for $80, or the AC Delco OEM for $135.

Imagine the same dilemma just happen to me.

NewfieEnvoy said:
Just put a Costco battery in last night. Don't think it can really be beat for the price, $80. 3 year warranty plus 3 pro rated. Great reviews everywhere on line.

After the Mrs. called me, while I was at work Thursday, saying "We have a problem with the Envoy. It won't start and the key is stuck". I got home to troubleshoot and was able to extract the stuck key.

I was on my way to get another AC-Delco battery @ $135 on Friday after work. A co-worker [he drives a GMC Sierra] stopped me in the plant parking lot and said "Let's go to Costco and get one for $80." Got the Costco Kirkland battery and installed before the big storm started. Now waiting for this snowstorm end to confirm that the problem is solved.

Nor'easter barrels through Atlantic Canada - The Weather Network

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
Canadian Mike said:
Got the Costco Kirkland battery and installed before the big storm started. Now waiting for this snowstorm end to confirm that the problem is solved.

[/URL]

In our area (Phoenix-Mesa) Costco has replaced the Kirkland brand battery with InterState (item #537595). Also the full coverage warranty has been reduced to 30 months and CCA reduced to 800 amps (don't recall what the original Kirkland battery's CCA was)

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
In our area (Phoenix-Mesa) Costco has replaced the Kirkland brand battery with InterState (item #537595). Also the full coverage warranty has been reduced to 30 months and CCA reduced to 800 amps (don't recall what the original Kirkland battery's CCA was)

The Kirkland is 800 CCA.

Dec 4, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:

Probably just ran out of Kirkland labels and put on Interstate ones because they were handy. LOL A lot of this cross polonization goes on these days. Same product different label or model # to get around the "low price guarantee". Sorry don't really mean to be so sarcastic but I have been shopping for appliances lately and there is so much of this crap going on that it is getting frustrating. :hissyfit:

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
I had an Optima red top for about 3 years. My truck doesn't get driven every day. So we had a week of cold weather - a few days in the single digits.
Went to start it after 7 days of sitting and it just clicked and lights flashed. Checked the voltage - 10.5.
So I jump start it and drive it for about a half hour which I thought should've charged it. Check it the next morning (weather is warmer) it's at 10.5.

So I went and got a DieHard Advanced Gold (AGM) - it's working fine. Not sure why it states it will not fit - I had no problems.

But the Optima, I thought what the heck - I put it on a trickle/maintenance charge for a week - and now, another week later, it's holding at 12.65. Think it's ok and just needed a proper charge? Not sure I trust it.
In hind site, I should have pulled the Optima out and charged it properly and perhaps would not have bought a new battery. Oh well.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
CaptainXL said:
The Kirkland is 800 CCA.
Seems like the Kirkland that I replaced was something like 880 CCA but the reduction in warranty was what caught my interest. Did your Kirkland still have 36 month free replacement warranty? I'm wondering if Costco made the change because of warranty claims in the hotter climate stores.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
Seems like the Kirkland that I replaced was something like 880 CCA

I just called them and it's definitely 800 CCA. Might differ depending on geographic location.

AbsoluteZero said:
but the reduction in warranty was what caught my interest. Did your Kirkland still have 36 month free replacement warranty? I'm wondering if Costco made the change because of warranty claims in the hotter climate stores.

My Grand Rapids Costco is 3 years free replacement. It might differ depending on which Costco you shop at. I originally stated that it was 5 but was wrong in that statement.

When I went to the Costco store I glared at the clerk when I heard it was only 3 years. They said "yup, isn't that great!" I said, not really. Pretty much every manufacturer has a standard 3 year free replacement nowadays. They said "Oh" and just smiled.

But still, the Kirkland batteries ($80) are cheaper than Walmart Everstart MAXX at $100.

Plus you don't need a receipt to return the Kirkland battery. The warranty is tied to your Costco membership.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Mine is the basic Cosco with 880CCA and a full 3yr plus an additional 3yrs prorated.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I ended up just getting the walmart everstart maxx, had to pay regular price as we couldn't get it exchanged due to not having a receipt. It is a 800 CCA battery with 3 year warranty. I wanted the interstate megatron plus but it has the same CCA, just has a 6 year performance warranty but the free replacement is only 30 months.

It is essentially the SAME exact battery, just different warranty/replacement plans and it doesn't have a megatron sticker...although high voltage can fix that for me lol

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
With unknown vehicle history I had wanted to replace the battery in mine. I grabbed a Group 78 Motomaster AGM on sale for $150, full 5 yr non prorated warranty, and 5yr roadside boost assistance coverage as well. Didn't return the core so I could have a spare 12v battery to abuse to power my telescope mount until it dies, then I'll replace that with an AGM 100Ah Deep Cycle for that specific application

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
WarGawd said:
With unknown vehicle history I had wanted to replace the battery in mine. I grabbed a Group 78 Motomaster AGM on sale for $150, full 5 yr non prorated warranty, and 5yr roadside boost assistance coverage as well. Didn't return the core so I could have a spare 12v battery to abuse to power my telescope mount until it dies, then I'll replace that with an AGM 100Ah Deep Cycle for that specific application

That's a good price for an AGM,especially up north where deals seem to be rare :thumbsup:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I wanted the interstate megatron plus but it has the same CCA, just has a 6 year performance warranty but the free replacement is only 30 months.

Interstate pissed me off. I wanted to get a like new $60 blem so I called the distributor and they said the warranty was only 3 months for blems. Pretty much worthless. Costco is a 3 year warranty for just $20 more.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Interstate pissed me off. I wanted to get a like new $60 blem so I called the distributor and they said the warranty was only 3 months for blems. Pretty much worthless. Costco is a 3 year warranty for just $20 more.

We don't have Costco here, we hardly even have a walmart and I'm about an hour to hour and a half away from any real city, my options are limited.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
CaptainXL said:

Our Interstate blems are $40,I just got a Megatron plus for that.I've always gotten at least three years service out of their blems and have them in all of my vehicles,tractors,boats,etc.
For me this is less hassle than trying to cash in on a warranty,Delco wouldn't honor the warranty on their two year old top of the line battery in my Denali because I was not the original purchaser...good way to ensure a future purchase eh?...just me but,I wouldn't expect a full warranty on a battery discounted by 60 percent or better...Mike.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
Our Interstate blems are $40,I just got a Megatron plus for that.I've always gotten at least three years service out of their blems and have them in all of my vehicles,tractors,boats,etc.
For me this is less hassle than trying to cash in on a warranty,Delco wouldn't honor the warranty on their two year old top of the line battery in my Denali because I was not the original purchaser...good way to ensure a future purchase eh?...just me but,I wouldn't expect a full warranty on a battery discounted by 60 percent or better...Mike.

Well you can't really go by anyone's word about how long a battery lasts. They can go bad at any time. Which is what worried me about the Interstate blem warranty. A 1 year warranty would have been more favorable.

After 3 months if the Interstate blem goes bad ( for whatever reason) you are out the $40 and then you need to buy another blem at $40. By that time you might as well have bought a Costco for $80. Even then you still are in a better position with the Costco 3 year warranty instead of another 3 months with the Interstate blem. It's a much better position. Bascially what you are doing is buying a battery with seemingly no warranty. I wouldn't expect any battery to just flat out fail within the first year if it was working right coming from the factory. I just don't think their warranty is fair and it doesn't spread the risk appropriately between manufacturer and customer.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
CaptainXL said:
Well you can't really go by anyone's word about how long a battery lasts. They can go bad at any time. Which is what worried me about the Interstate blem warranty. A 1 year warranty would have been more favorable.

After 3 months if the Interstate blem goes bad ( for whatever reason) you are out the $40 and then you need to buy another blem at $40. By that time you might as well have bought a Costco for $80. Even then you still are in a better position with the Costco 3 year warranty instead of another 3 months with the Interstate blem. It's a much better position.

Yeah,I guess we all have our reasons for doing what we do.Costcos are rare out here and because I've had such good luck with Interstate blems,I figure that I'm $$$ ahead even if I do get a dud in the future :thumbsup:..Mike.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
Yeah,I guess we all have our reasons for doing what we do.Costcos are rare out here and because I've had such good luck with Interstate blems,I figure that I'm $$$ ahead even if I do get a dud in the future :thumbsup:..Mike.

I'm glad that your ahead. the point is that people shouldn't use your individual experiences for fact that they will experience the same fortune. The fact of the matter is...and the point I am making is that the 3 month warranty Interstate offers on blems is dishonest at best and is geared towards corporate profit rather than customer piece of mind and satisfaction.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
CaptainXL said:
I'm glad that your ahead. the point is that people shouldn't use your individual experiences for fact that they will experience the same fortune. The fact of the matter is...and the point I am making is that the 3 month warranty Interstate offers on blems is dishonest at best and is geared towards corporate profit rather than customer piece of mind and satisfaction.

Interstate distributors make their own decisions on blem prices and warrantys.Perhaps your distributor has larceny in mind but,in my case my guy just went up from years of $35 blems to $40.If $40 for a $150 battery with a ding is dishonest,I'll play the fool.
Not corporate greed so much as: "Hey we'll give you a terrific deal on a great product,you just have to assume some of the risk" those of us that buy Ebay stuff do that all the time.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
IHey we'll give you a terrific deal on a great product,you just have to assume some of the risk" those of us that buy Ebay stuff do that all the time.

I guess $40 is OK if you don't want any useful warranty.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
CaptainXL said:
I guess $40 is OK if you don't want any useful warranty.

I'll pose this question: If you were buying something for $40.00 and the seller said "for another $110.00 I'll warranty it for 3 years" would you do it?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
I'll pose this question: If you were buying something for $40.00 and the seller said "for another $110.00 I'll warranty it for 3 years" would you do it?

$150? First off plain lead acid batteries arent that much. They are $100. Second, I would pay $60 more for a 3 year warranty. But what your saying is that these are Interstate batteries and should be just like new and last a full 5 years or so like other lead acid batteries. If thats the case then I guess there really is no need for a warranty. You said the batteries only have lasted about 3 years. Thats doesnt seem like a long time. So I am kind of on the fence about the whole deal. Couldnt say one way or the other.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
That link shows an AGM battery. The MT-78 is $117. And it only has a 2 year free replacement warranty. I consider this subpar for the industry which most have a 3 year free replace. More reasons to be pissed at Interstate.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
northcreek said:

Hell no. I would pay $40 and be thrilled with the deal. Even just $40 for adding the warranty....nope. Just buy two.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
HARDTRAILZ said:
Hell no. I would pay $40 and be thrilled with the deal. Even just $40 for adding the warranty....nope. Just buy two.

THANK YOU!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
CaptainXL said:
That link shows an AGM battery. The MT-78 is $117. And it only has a 2 year free replacement warranty. I consider this subpar for the industry which most have a 3 year free replace. More reasons to be pissed at Interstate.

What link are you looking at? I see a lead acid battery with 30 months FR ....

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

Sounds like a good deal. But without the warranty starring the customer in the face it means you out of luck if they fail. You have basically wasted your money.

[video=youtube;mEB7WbTTlu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
What link are you looking at? I see a lead acid battery with 30 months FR ....

Apparently their website doesnt work well with tablets. Or maybe the other way around. I see a $276 AGM battery.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
It shows a Megatron plus,800 cca,lead/acid,$166.95 list-$138.95 retail ,30 month FR,6 year performance

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Sounds like a good deal. But without the warranty starring the customer in the face it means you out of luck if they fail. You have basically wasted your money.

[video=youtube;mEB7WbTTlu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4&feature=youthetube_edgdata_player[/video]

Take my chances everyday of the week. They find ways to avoid paying warranty claims so often its not funny. I would say I did not waste money but made an educated decision as a consumer. The odds of failure in the 3 year period are so miniscule i would buy a blem for a 1/3 of the price every time.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
HARDTRAILZ said:
Take my chances everyday of the week. They find ways to avoid paying warranty claims so often its not funny. I would say I did not waste money but made an educated decision as a consumer. The odds of failure in the 3 year period are so miniscule i would buy a blem for a 1/3 of the price every time.

Yeah..my experience on cashing in on warranties is about 50/50,they promise you the moon but,come redemption time they remind you of the "small print".For me it's a "no brainer".

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012

I know this is a pretty old thread but I wanted to post a follow-up, and highlight some info I never had the slightest clue about when I bought this battery.

So, first of all it turns out this battery actually reached a point where it started acting up in Nov/Dec of 2017. I took it in to Canadian Tire for a load test and they declared it bad and replaced it with a new one, no questions asked and just a couple months shy of the 5 year mark.

Secondly, I now have a new-to-me BMW X5 that I picked up at the end of Feb this year. In that vehicle I have noticed the occasional message on the infotainment screen alerting me to certain battery related conditions that sent me off doing a little research, where I learned that AGM batteries have different charging requirements than standard lead acid batteries. I never knew!

Apparently BMW incorporates some circuitry and logic to monitor and control the charging cycle and voltage depending on what type of battery is installed. In fact, over the life of the battery, the vehicle computer keeps track of the age/health status of the battery and actually learns/adapts the charging parameters as the battery ages (kind of like how our GMTs do when you clean the throttle body). If one changes the battery for an exact match, one needs to "register" the new battery, but a change to the type/capacity requires a bit more in-depth "re-coding" of the computer. (For anyone interested in learning more detail, this link should get you started: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966040)

I had no clue about this when I bought an AGM to replace the OE lead acid battery in the Envoy, and to the best of my knowledge there's no way to alter the charging parameters in our vehicles. Bottom line is if you buy an AGM for your GMT, you're likely not charging it optimally, are probably overcharging it in general resulting in conversion of some of the electrolyte to gas that gets vented thereby shortening the life of it to some degree. The good news is that in light of my experience, it's likely that the effects aren't drastic. YMMV :smile:

Cheers

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the later years that have incorporated the SARVC module does this. I know that it does throttle down charging during light loads and after the battery has been recharged from starting. Mine regularly stays under 14V unless there are heavy loads like wipers, high HVAC or rear defrost on.

Up And Down

Oct 25, 2012
I had an Optima before my current cheapo and it was the best battery I ever owned. Next time I get a vehicle that I plan on keeping it will get an Optima red top.

Reactions: Pygot

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
Not just offroad but stereo or lighting upgrades benefit.

No battery tolerated incorrect charging. You just need to understand what you b

Never saw that they have less life. Can you share where you found that?

Most dont need the benefits but I did. Just figured i would share my experience n reasoning.
I personally use AGM type and havent experienced any reduction of life. Plus they dont leak battery acid and rust everything out which is a plus

Reactions: northcreek

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You realize that post was in 2012.

I am still using that AGM battery. I think it has proven they last as well as any other.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online