Where do you mount your switches?

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Adding my brand new Blue Sea fusebox to the truck to power some goodies, such as my engine light, and my auxiliary reverse lights which will require a switch inside the cab, which I currently have wired into a Radioshack project box, that I ABSOLUTELY hate the look of. I need some ideas on where to locate some switches that at least looks semi-stock, I don't mind drilling holes or hack panels but I cant visualize where any switches would look right. I wired this 3way switch to also light up 2 red lamps so I know when the switch is activated, and for which side is on(auto in reverse, and constant on.) I remember on the
OS a member having placed switches in the overhead console, which I liked the look of, but dont know how to remove the console to mess with, any advice?
So where do you guys mount your switches?

Marc.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
28738560.jpg

Crappy cell phone pic. Had two installed in there, cant find a pic of that though

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Someone put them infront of the shifter/cupholders. Underneath the aux outlets. Can't remember who though . . .

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Sorry Irishboy but my foglight switch prevents me from using that plate which would otherwise be perfect for switches.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Taz6056 said:
Sorry Irishboy but my foglight switch prevents me from using that plate which would otherwise be perfect for switches.

You should still be able to run your switches on each side of it. I obviously didn't have fogs so i wasnt overly concerned about the spacing. You can go over and under with plenty of room on each side. It is do-able with factory fogs.

Do you have an overhead console or no? Good mounting point up there too, if you have it. I believe James Downing (not sure if he made the switch over from the OS) has them mounting in front of the shifter under the radio. Setup a steal plate with 4 or 5 toggle switches across on it. Another option would be to have the switch mounted and hidden under the driver side of the dash - right above your knee. Hidden and out of sight but close enough when you need to reach it.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
I mounted my switches for my lights in the overhead console:

3265355940_063aa8f61c.jpg

It was some work, but I like them alot there. PM me if you need details.

I mounted my switches for my electronic air horn in the area by the headlight switch like Irishboy02:

2518700914_54c6cd080f.jpg

Chris

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mine is by the headlight switch as well

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
silverunicorn said:
I mounted my switches for my lights in the overhead console:

3265355940_063aa8f61c.jpg

It was some work, but I like them alot there. PM me if you need details.

I mounted my switches for my electronic air horn in the area by the headlight switch like Irishboy02:

2518700914_54c6cd080f.jpg

Chris

Chris,

I think I asked before on th other site .. what guage wire did you use for the switches and how did you run them. Also, did you use relays for them and if so, where did you mount those? Any schematic? Any insight would be helpful and appriciated

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
Ilikemy3s said:
Chris,

I think I asked before on th other site .. what guage wire did you use for the switches and how did you run them. Also, did you use relays for them and if so, where did you mount those? Any schematic? Any insight would be helpful and appriciated

I used (2) 3-wire Whelen strobe cables to the switches. the switches feed directly to the strobe packs. The wires in there are 18 guage, there is a red, black, and whilte, along with a braided ground wire. There are no relays as that is all controlled through the strobe pack.

Chris

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
silverunicorn said:
I used (2) 3-wire Whelen strobe cables to the switches. the switches feed directly to the strobe packs. The wires in there are 18 guage, there is a red, black, and whilte, along with a braided ground wire. There are no relays as that is all controlled through the strobe pack.

Chris

cool. I am also looking at using some switches for my temporary federal Signal full size light bar so thats why I am figuring i might need relays. THanks for the info

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
Ilikemy3s said:
cool. I am also looking at using some switches for my temporary federal Signal full size light bar so thats why I am figuring i might need relays. THanks for the info

No problem at all. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :smile: The hardest thing for me was running the wires through the A pillar and headliner area without them interfering with the side air bags.

Chris

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I got a switch and a knob mounted below the driver seat. easy to get to, you don't see them unless you look for them, and no cutting into panels
IMAG0369.jpg

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
I got a switch and a knob mounted below the driver seat. easy to get to, you don't see them unless you look for them, and no cutting into panels
IMAG0369.jpg

Hmmmm, what do they run? Are they part of the stereo?

I forget what the OP was doing with the switches. In PA, part of the "law" is that you need to be able to see the switches and they must be lit when "on", at least for emergency lights.

Chris

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
mine just run my exhaust cutout and subwoofer bass knob. yeah makes sense if you've got strobes you want to have an indication that they are on during the daytime

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
View attachment 21921Sorry for not having pics faster, but I also wired my switch for lights, so I don't drain my battery and know at a glance which position the switch is in.

Attachments

• IMG-20120719-00174.jpg
    IMG-20120719-00174.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 19

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I never noticed how badly off center the switch is from the 2 lamps, I don't think its that bad in real life, just a funky angle but in any event....I guess I'm going to ask a dumb question, how do I properly center holes of different sizes? In layout I drew a pencil line down what I thought was going to be my center line, then center punched the hole on that line, I guess I should have used the drill press and not my hand drill.

Marc.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
here's how I took out my overhead console:

[video=youtube;OS34UbGLqnk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS34UbGLqnk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Chris

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
The 2 recessed bolts were tough for me the find even with the video Chris provided, however once I got a flashlight up there, there was no problem locating them. I'm pretty sure that the heads were T20 in size. I still think I drilled crooked holes, but now that God awful Radioshack project box is gone, and the switch and lights are permanently mounted to the overhead console, thanks Chris!!!!

Marc.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
Taz6056 said:
The 2 recessed bolts were tough for me the find even with the video Chris provided, however once I got a flashlight up there, there was no problem locating them. I'm pretty sure that the heads were T20 in size. I still think I drilled crooked holes, but now that God awful Radioshack project box is gone, and the switch and lights are permanently mounted to the overhead console, thanks Chris!!!!

Marc.

:thumbsup:

Glad I could help. You need to post pics!!!! :yes:

My holes aren't quite perfect either, but I like where the switched are, so I am OK with it :smile:

Chris

Um, that sounded unintentionally dirty, LOL

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Sorry for digging this up but those of you who mounted switches in your headlight switch area did you disassemble the headlight switch to install the new switches into it?

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
Sorry for digging this up but those of you who mounted switches in your headlight switch area did you disassemble the headlight switch to install the new switches into it?

For my siren switches that I put in the headlight switch, Yes, I did have to take the switch apart. It is quite easy to take apart actually.

Chris

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
silverunicorn said:
For my siren switches that I put in the headlight switch, Yes, I did have to take the switch apart. It is quite easy to take apart actually.

Chris

Awesome, thanks for the info!

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
Awesome, thanks for the info!

If you need pics, I could probably get them for you. the switch box is easily removed. there's not a ton of room in there, but you can do it :smile:

Chris

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
silverunicorn said:
If you need pics, I could probably get them for you. the switch box is easily removed. there's not a ton of room in there, but you can do it :smile:

Chris

If you can get pics that would be awesome!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online