when to change factory plugs and wires

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Im coming up on 75K and everything is fine. I know they say it can go 100K, but what's the concensus here? Don't fix it unless its broken or be proactive and do it a little before time? Thanks

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Well, I had a nice long response typed up but basically, if they aren't hard/brittle or are dry rotting, don't worry. I say wait until 100k, unless you are having symptoms that might warrant replacement, or if they're just excessively old.

Reactions: Mooseman

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
The thread title says plugs and wires. Your data doesn't say which engine you have, so wires is odd. The I6 doesn't have traditional wires, and I do not know about the V8. If no misfires or codes, wait until 100K.

Good proactive question. Enjoy the ride, 100K miles is not your traditional length to go on a set of plugs.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Robbabob said:
The thread title says plugs and wires. Your data doesn't say which engine you have, so wires is odd. The I6 doesn't have traditional wires, and I do not know about the V8. If no misfires or codes, wait until 100K.

Good proactive question. Enjoy the ride, 100K miles is not your traditional length to go on a set of plugs.
V8 has wires, they're about 5 inches long each because each coil is mounted just above the plug on the valve covers.

As for the question at hand, you could always inspect the wires and see it'd there is any discoloring pointing to it arcing through the insulation.

Reactions: Robbabob

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well he did post in the Vortec 5.3L V8 section.

And yes, specs say 100K miles for plugs. Wires are just inspect and replace if needed or misfires are detected.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
The wires are short in the V8, so probably do not need replacing. Unless you wait too long, like I did. Then several of them ripped trying to get them off. I was going to replace them anyway, but with your interval you probably won't need to.

Reactions: MAY03LT

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Back when 100K miles plugs first came out (well, maybe a couple of years later!), there were issues with them getting stuck in the head(s). My ex father-in-law was a wrench and he said there were a lot of claims back to the manufacturer over it. My first vehicle ('97 Isuzu Hombre aka S-10) that had them, I changed them at about 80K. No issues coming out, but better safe than sorry.

I change my wires when I change my plugs. Cheap insurance.

Reactions: djthumper

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
C-ya said:
Back when 100K miles plugs first came out (well, maybe a couple of years later!), there were issues with them getting stuck in the head(s). My ex father-in-law was a wrench and he said there were a lot of claims back to the manufacturer over it. My first vehicle ('97 Isuzu Hombre aka S-10) that had them, I changed them at about 80K. No issues coming out, but better safe than sorry.

I change my wires when I change my plugs. Cheap insurance.
This is what I was thinking. Sorry if I was vague but it's a V8.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Reactions: Mounce

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
linneje said:
The wires are short in the V8, so probably do not need replacing. Unless you wait too long, like I did. Then several of them ripped trying to get them off.
Cosigned. I've had so many 5.3s break a wire or two during a plug change that I do the wires when I do the plugs, Nothings worse then having one break on a sunday when everything is closed.

Reactions: djthumper

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online