Wheel Spacer Question

Sweekster

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Hey All,

Still getting to know my Saab and ran into an issue that I couldn't find the answer to doing searches. My truck came with 18x8 Boss wheels and 245/60/18 Michelin tires. Don't know the model of the wheels and I'm not so much a fan of them and they will eventually be gone. Anyway, over the weekend while doing a front wheel bearing replacement, I decided to put in new brake pads as well. When it was all done I got to put my wheels on and notice the calipers have moved out so far that the wheels now hit the calipers and would basically grind a grove into wheels. Wasn't happy about that.

So here are my question:
1: I'm not looking to lift or lower my truck as i like it the way it is so but would I still need the spacers that seem to be recommended here to get me going?

2: Are there other, cheaper, non crappy/life threatening options? I could grind down my new pads but that just defeats the purpose in my mind

Side note:

What would it take to swap to tahoe/yukon hubs? They seem to have the more common bolt pattern. If I wanted to swap to OEM 20s, for example, it seems I'm limited to TBSS rims.

Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Many of us have thought about Tahoe hubs, but the spline count in the center, where the CV shaft goes, is different.

Otherwise you just have to buy spacer/adapters to take the 6X5" stud pattern and change it into 6X5.5" for the larger truck rims.

Contact member "markmc". I see his web site just got hacked, so until he fixes it, use PMs.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Sweekster said:
What would it take to swap to tahoe/yukon hubs? They seem to have the more common bolt pattern. If I wanted to swap to OEM 20s, for example, it seems I'm limited to TBSS rims.
i've seen an ss swapped to s10 5 lug hubs but i doubt it was AWD so cv shaft compatibility is a question
*edit* nm it was done on an awd

depending what look you are going for, the stock double spoke saab 18" wheels look pretty nice

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
you should talk to markmc, he can get whatever you want made. it won't be as cheap as what you linked to but i wouldn't run a spacer that isn't hub centric personally

tokahao

Dec 9, 2011
jimmyjam said:
you should talk to markmc, he can get whatever you want made. it won't be as cheap as what you linked to but i wouldn't run a spacer that isn't hub centric personally

Thanks for the suggestion. Been searching around and think I found what I need. Couple potentials vendors for me in the future thanks to words like "hub centric" + Google and info in threads like this one 1 inch wheel adapters/spacers - TBSSOWNERS.com Forums - The #1 TrailblazerSS Dedicated Owners Forum

Bora Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Centric Rings | Motorsport Tech
eBay Hub Centric PNP 25mm Wheel Spacer Adapters 6x127 CB 78 1mm 12x1 5 | eBay

Feb 21, 2013
jimmyjam said:
i've seen an ss swapped to s10 5 lug hubs but i doubt it was AWD so cv shaft compatibility is a question
*edit* nm it was done on an awd

depending what look you are going for, the stock double spoke saab 18" wheels look pretty nice

You have any more detail on the s10 hub swap?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online