weird problem

davidaward47

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I had a post about ac fan speed , I finally ran out of options and took it to broadway electric in Lemon Grove. after a full day they said my alternator was the cause and it would be ready today about 10am. nope, got there and said now it was the blower control module, I had already replaced mine with another of the same type, but they said it was bad and put in one of the upgraded units. I started to go home and fan was not right again and then when i accelerated up a ramp I lost power . never happened before.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
:-( hope they didn't spend all your money yet... doesn't sound good. If you are saying you "lost power" as in the engine had nothing or do you mean you lost some electric power? Sounds like they played in some more areas that are now impacting the vehicle more than just the fan... :smile:
Check to see if there were any codes set / pending. check your battery cable connections.

davidaward47

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
engine lost power, he drove it after that happened with a scanner attached, no codes. may have to put my old alternator back if he suspects the new one is not working correctly. I know it uses pulse signals along with the other computers but not sure where pulse signal is generated

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
:-( but was he able to reproduce the loss of power condition. It might have been caused by the fact that they disconnected the battery and you lost some of the "run time settings" which need to be re-established by doing certain drive conditions otherwise it might be that the PCM didn't have all the data it needed to do the "acceleration".

Reactions: Mooseman

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Did power stay lost, or did it just have a really bad hesitation? Ever cleaned the throttle body? If not, and they disconnected the battery (one hopes they did!), you might just be fighting a crapped up throttle body and a "refreshed" PCM, and the blower fan issue is separate.

As far as the blower, did you replace just the resistor pack? If so, the connector could have been damaged by the previously failing unit, and not completing the circuit properly on the new module. It's also possible that the blower motor is worn and drawing too much current, killing the new resistor pack.

Good Luck!

Chris

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't see how an alternator would affect engine power unless the battery got so weak that the fuel pump couldn't supply enough fuel. You would have noticed other stuff as it goes into "self preservation" mode where it starts to shut off non-essential stuff to keep the engine going as long as possible.

I'm with the others on this. Clean the throttle body. And for the blower, could be the motor itself.

That shop is a hack IMHO.

Reactions: Redbeard

davidaward47

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
throttle body is clean. he never disconnected the battery as the clock had the right time. no resistor pack as it has digital controls,

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Apparently the digital controls still use a resistor pack. I've heard that the controller can have a variable speed, but only if you leave the controls set on auto and don't change the fan speed yourself. Personally I don't like the fan blasting at full speed so I always set it for a lower, quieter speed.
Interestingly enough, on a 20 year old lumina the fan speed control is fully electronic with no resistor pack...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apparently the digital controls still use a resistor pack.

Wrong. It's a module that resembles a resistor pack. All electronic.

I've heard that the controller can have a variable speed, but only if you leave the controls set on auto and don't change the fan speed yourself.

That's true. As the cabin temperature approaches the set temperature, it will adjust vent temp and fan speed accordingly. It mostly goes to full speed only when there is a large difference between the set and actual temps or if on defrost.

Reactions: xavierny25

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Hopefully you have gotten things addressed... more about the fan also.

Not sure if this thread should be used for the fan issue or the other one.... since you "threw in the towel" and started down a "rat hole of problems".

ON the fan issue (since it appears that you reported at the start here, that it has not been fixed yet), we probably should have asked more questions.

It was asked if you had the problem in both auto and manual mode. You answered yes. But what you didn't indicated was whether in manual mode, when the speed of the fan "magically" changes, does the speed indicator on the display also change. IF not, then the problem is likely not the control unit and more likely an issue with fan or speed control module. If it does, then it is possible that the control button on the control needs cleaning (ie. contacts) if it is possible (I don't know as I have seen the back end of one of these).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online