water pump, fan or ????

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
So out of the trail, pulling a 4300 lb trailer. yep close to limits but have done over 30kkm and things are / were fine. Anyways, this latest trip seems to be an "adventure" in cooling.

Travelling at 55-60 mph at normal "load speed" (ie. not pushing a grade or anything to work engine), the temp is running about 194 (outside temps in the low 20C). Any kind of a grade where kick down from lockup to "plain third" (ie. normal travelling 3rd gear locked), cause an some what climb of temps. Tranny temp runs relatively cool at around 175F but eventually begins to climb is grade or work load is extended period. In previous trips at this kinds of out door temps, normal didn't see much change in coolant temp... maybe heading towards 200F but most times in the high 190's including travel at highway speed at 35C out side.

Anyways, it would appear that perhaps the pump is not doing its job and not pushing enough coolant along. The thermostat is about 1.5 years old.

One question is this long "diatribe", at highways speeds, does the fan offer any help or is it basically doing nothing. My feeling is that perhaps the thermofan is not locking up sufficiently the draw air thru. It would appear that at regular speed there is enough air movement that a non-working fan is capable of enough but at high requirements, it is not.
Further, if I stop the vehicle when it has been running relatively hot, I can go out and readily spin the fan by hand... it has some resistance but no where near the amount of a "old fashion" belt driven always on fan ( which of course, you couldn't turn at all ... :smile: ). I would have expected a hot fan to be equally as difficult. Hence, my question.
Overall, I am leaning towards a bad / weak pump. But maybe that's not quite the right issue.

what say you... as I sit at a camp ground, thinking I wish I wouldn't worry about things like this... :smile: but hopefully nothing bad will happen on this trip.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
What makes you think anything is malfunctioning? All you mention is 194 (which is about perfect) and a slight rise which is normal under load or stuck in traffic. If you're well above 200 then okay... But other than that it sounds like normal operation.

I saw 217 once after sitting in traffic for an hour on a hot summers day but didn't worry much about it because it wasn't climbing and dropped when traffic finally moved.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Those temps are fine. As Mounce stated, even a little over 200 is acceptable*. If you wanna feel more at ease, install a transcooler. They really make quite a difference.
heatchrt.jpg

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
the tranny temp is fine for the most part. The auxiliary cooler installed is doing its job. My concern is that "rapidness" that the system moves over 200 with little "extra load" on a relatively cool day. Previous trips in over 30 close to 40C outside temps would only see a slight movement towards 200 at highway speeds.

But I hear you, which is why posted. I feel better already. :smile:
thanks. But the question about the thermal clutch in the fan is still a "wonder if". So if you stop your hot car and go and turn the fan by hand, will the clutch be fully engaged or spin with little resistance? And... does the fan offer any "support" at highway speed or is the movement of air dominated by the flow thru? Inquiring mind :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's not a good test as the silicone in the clutch would be less viscous and since it's not spinning, is not in the clutch portion. Only way to really tell if it's working is at idle when it gets warm, it should pull more air. If you pull the fan, look for leakage around the shaft and the spring.

Ot should assist at speed if the air it's getting from the Rad is hot enough. Check for my other post on how the fan clutch operates with video.

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
today was a better day especially after the responses from here... things looked fine, so I got better things to do on the trip.
Thanks again for the info.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.