Wanted to share this

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have a close friend that has a sister with kidney failure. She has had a donor kidney previously from her mother but unfortuinately didn't take. Her sister, my friend signed up as a donor to see if she was a canidate. She wasn't a match for her, but instead was put on a list for a possible multi donor surgery. In other words, if they found a match for her sister then someday she would have to donate to someone else that was a match. That day came yesterday. I'm so proud of her for her amazeing and selfless act! She is an inspiration to me and I wanted to share with you all that there are people in this world who do the right thing even when it can cost them everything. To add to it, she is a single mother of 4 young children. I'm so proud to call her my friend!!

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Thats very brave, Donating a kidney to a complete stranger. Family would be a no question, A friend i may be able to(and even then I would have to really really think about it, and they would have to be the best possible friend in the world. There is no way I could give one to a complete stranger. Kudos to her.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Indeed brave, but I have to point out that being a single Mom of ONE kid should not even be considered for non-related donations. Let alone a single Mom of FOUR. Unless the kids have adequate trust funds to take them through college and contingent guardians to raise them. Most single Moms I know don't have the resources in place like that. The relatively new invention of multi-hop donation chains does change the equation a bit, I have to admit.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
The kids do have a father, and he is involved in their life. Day to day, she is still the one that cares for them though. She will have her mom to help her for a week or so after her release from the hospital but I give her all the credit in the world for her sacrifice on her sisters behalf!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My lil brother has had three kidney transplants. He was youngest ever at the time of his first, 2, in 1986. It was from my mother. His second and third were in 1994 and 1998. He is doing amazing now and gives speeches on organ donation. He is also in contact with one of the donor's parents.

I was not allowed to try and give to him at my age when he needed them. I have been donating blood every chance I can and currently am on the list to be a Bone Marrow donor to anyone that may need it. I also let everyone know that once I am dead, they can use any part of me, that may be good, to help out someone else.

Tell your friend THANK YOU from me and my family. It is people like her that save lives and are heroes.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
My lil brother has had three kidney transplants. He was youngest ever at the time of his first, 2, in 1986. It was from my mother. His second and third were in 1994 and 1998. He is doing amazing now and gives speeches on organ donation. He is also in contact with one of the donor's parents.

I was not allowed to try and give to him at my age when he needed them. I have been donating blood every chance I can and currently am on the list to be a Bone Marrow donor to anyone that may need it. I also let everyone know that once I am dead, they can use any part of me, that may be good, to help out someone else.

Tell your friend THANK YOU from me and my family. It is people like her that save lives and are heroes.

I will absolutely do that! Sounds like you and ur family should be included in that catagory as well. Best of luck to you all!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.