VXdiag Nana Tech 2 Win CSP Relearn Error Message

I290

Original poster
Sep 28, 2024
Atlanta, GA
Hello, thanks for letting me join the board. I've done a search on this issue before posting.
I'm a little new to using the VXdiag nano tool and software; however I got it installed, isolated a trojan, installed the VX manager software, tech 2win software, installed the drivers. Seems to be working OK. I've connected to my obd2 and can run the diagnostics and see all the stats on the PCM. It's showing an error code P0315 - crankshaft position relearn code.

It's a 2008 Isuzu I290 with the 2.9L 4 cyl and 4 speed automatic. It's just like the Chevy colorado.

I had a shop install a new PCM about 4 months ago. I remember the guy telling me they had a hard time getting it to learn the CSP sensor relearn when I was picking it up from the shop. I've been driving it about 4 months without any check engine lights.

When I get to the CSP relearn screen, it shows the RPMs, and other data for about 2 seconds then gives the error: "Diag. faults currently active or conditions not correct. Press exit to continue."

I've selected my current engine and model data. Tried it several times and keeps giving the same error.

Any experience with this error or things to try? Should I give the AC Delco software a try? It's about $65 for 3 days to program 1 VIN.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Suggest you investigate the Camshaft to Crankshaft PHYSICAL Mechanical Correlation using an Oscilloscope to ensure that the Engine Timing Chain Set is NOT Over-Stretched and have worn-in Timing Chain Guides along with an overly extended Timing Chain Hydraulic (Pad) Tensioner.

By aligning the Crankshaft Sine Wave CKP (Crankshaft Sensor) on Screen and compared with the Hall-Effect Square Wave Form of the Camshaft Absolute Position Sensor... and looking for Excessive Sine Wave PEAK Counts or "Drift" due to these potentially worn out components...THIS is the Only Definitive manner of investigating and confirming whether or not there IS or IS NOT a Problem.

For More In-Depth Information on How To Perform These Tests... Please visit THIS Thread and search around for the aforementioned Wave Forms and Videos to observe HOW these Tests get DONE using Inexpensive Oscilloscope Gear and Learn what the Proper Diagnostic Approaches are in order to get on Firm Ground as to WHAT to LOOK For:

I290

Original poster
Sep 28, 2024
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the feedback. I understand the connection you're mentioning in the timing chain. Probably wouldn't have connected it to an error in the Tech 2win software to relearn the crankshaft position sensor.

I'll review those links and look into the gear needed to do that type of testing of the wave signs.

Thank you.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hey @mrrsm , is there something in your pile of info for the Tech 2 some manual with instructions for each test and special function?

"Diag. faults currently active or conditions not correct. Press exit to continue" sounds like something is missing or wrong to be able to continue with the CASE relearn. Are there any codes even though the CEL isn't on? Try scanning and clearing the codes and then do the CASE relearn right away. There might be a code active or in history that's preventing the relearn.

If using a VCX Nano, I do know that it's not the best and has issues, mostly with the software. I've held back from buying one just for that reason. If you can't find someone with an actual Tech 2 tool or a GM MDS adapter, maybe take it to a dealer to get them to do it.

Is it possible that it was not initially programmed properly?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Yes... The Attached "Tech2-PATHS" PDF is THE Actual "Bible" for ALL Tech 2 Keypad Input Diagnostic Procedures that --Should-- also apply to the VXDIAG-NANO Scan Tool when addressing the Laptop Screen Tech 2 Emulation of that Key-Pad as listed Alphabetically - A--> Z- in that excellent PDF Resource linked below. Of course, there are also a few more issues that might cause this arcane error message to appear:

(1) All Trouble Codes --should-- be taken and sorted out ..."IN THE ORDER THEY APPEAR ON THE LIST"...even if they may seem unrelated to each other or are not within the same Group Categories (ie; Power Train, etc.)

(2) While the VXDIAG-NANO is a very remarkable alternative to the Ancient and Reliable Tech 2... They are --NOT-- precisely identical nor always the same in their behaviors, especially when Diagnosing vehicles with specious records or in cases of doubts about whether or not Swap Engines and Transmissions have been installed in these Vehicles...or... involving different PCMs being installed to accommodate these changes.

(3) Occasionally, having Out-Of-Date Calibrations associated with Module Swaps coming from other Vehicle Makes & Models that are being introduced, strange readings may occur that are quite confusing. Knowing as much as possible about the prior actions of Prior Owners comes into play at this point, and checking Engine and Transmission Part Number(s) "Pedigrees" can also add to this understanding of what the --ACTUAL-- Engine and Transmission Combos Under the Hood... really are.

(4) In the strange world of the possible Mixing and Matching of Module Calibration Updates, such a confusing message can come up. The MOST important thing to realize is that it is necessary to avoid focusing TOO Much on the Owner's Present Vehicle Year-Make-Model ...and to expand a search for a commonality with such problems occurring on other GM - GMC Vehicle Car and Truck Line Series that are NOT within the GMT360 Family.

Remember... the issue is with *The Behavior* of A Particular DIAGNOSTIC TOOL involved in many cases ...and thus, is NOT necessarily tied to any one specific GM-GMC Year-Make-Model of Vehicle. The Link Below bears out this Case-In-Point idea as it involves a nearly identical issue happening when using a VXDIAG-NANO Scan Tool vs. a "GYMKO" Tech 2 Clone ...with a CORVETTE "CASE" Re-Learn Procedure:

Attachments

• Tech 2 issues_ missing special features - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • gm_tech2_paths.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

I290

Original poster
Sep 28, 2024
Atlanta, GA
So today I cleared an evap code and 1 of the two stored codes for the crankshaft relearn code that was in the system. I couldn't delete the 1 CSP sensor relearn codes. But I was able to run the program and run the RPMs up to approx 4000 like it says. It would flash it didn't detect the engine coolant temperature. So I never got confirmation the code was sent to relearn the CSP sensor.

I let the engine warm up some and did it a second time. Still same result. And toward the end got the same error: "Diag. faults currently active or conditions not correct. Press exit to continue."

I purchased the AD delco subscription. It's just Tech 2win software, but I couldn't even get it to work properly with my VGDiag nano tonight. I may need to install something else, but ran out of time.

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Since you paid for the ACDelco subscription, try reflashing the ECM. Maybe the other shop loaded the wrong software.

Another question. What was the reason for the replacement ECM?

TJBaker57

Lifetime VIP Donor
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Anyone have any thoughts on the notation for the procedure stating that said learn procedure may have to be repeated up to 5 times?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've never had that happen to me, either on the 4.2 or 5.3. I did however once try it on a Hummer with a 6.0 where the crank sensor error was not fixed (owner's fault) and I wound up over-revving it with no error message.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I was just thinking about a possible Electro-Mechanical Cause for this problem... Curious as to whether the Shop used by the OP when they had replaced the PCM if they had --also-- replaced the (CKP) Crankshaft Position Sensor with a Non-OEM version or whether or not the (CKP) Harness Wiring might have been *Disturbed* or "Untwisted" ...even just a few turns, allowing Ambient RF Interference (Via Electric Motors, Fluorescent Lighting, etc.).

If so, this random, radiant energy might confuse the very mild, self-generating Alternating Current provided to the PCM with those Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel (60, -2 Teeth) Generated A/C Sine Waves. So It would not hurt to use a Bright Flash-Light and check around down there on the Lower Left Side of the Engine Block for anything that looks even a Little *Disturbed*.

PS:

@TJBaker57 provided some more insights into other important considerations related to performing CASE Re-Learns in Post # 3 and throughout THIS Linked Thread. Also, @Mooseman amplifies on this very topic as well in Post #4 therein:

And for the Full Size Trucks Folks,,, More Information:

Last edited:

I290

Original poster
Sep 28, 2024
Atlanta, GA
Thank you all for the feedback. That's good information I can really use and lots of links. I'm working OT at my job this week so I'll read up on it more as time permits.

The shop I took the truck to installed 1 PCM and couldn't flash it for whatever reason, so they had to get another new PCM. And this one was difficult for the repair guy at the shop to get the crankshaft position sensor to relearn. That's what I was told when I picked up the truck from the shop.

I'll spend some more time on it after doing more research here.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You might give THESE Folks a call... as a Preferred Vendor and with their having a great deal of experience with the GMT360 Platform PCMs And OTHERS) ...when it comes to servicing and restoring our PCMs whenever they happen to... Go Sideways... Discussing what has happened so far with them...could not hurt.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The shop I took the truck to installed 1 PCM and couldn't flash it for whatever reason, so they had to get another new PCM. And this one was difficult for the repair guy at the shop to get the crankshaft position sensor to relearn. That's what I was told when I picked up the truck from the shop.
OK but what was the original reason for the initial PCM replacement? With what you wrote above, I just hope that the PCM wasn't replaced for a problem not related to it. This is basically 3 PCMs that are having issues.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is yet another view of what can go wrong and result in the inability of the PCM to accept a CASE Re-Learn. Please disregard the differences of Year-Make-Model or Platform as the focus HERE is on ---The Basic Principle--- involved.

Please remember that the PCM must consider the Velocity of the turning Crankshaft --which is subject to change from --moment - to - moment-- depending upon the Efficiency of Combustion being different between each cylinder along the entire bank of cylinders.

A properly fitted Reluctor Wheel that has NOT *Slipped its Moorings" is critical to the PCM being able to figure out when to deliver Atomized Fuel... and When to deliver a Secondary Ignition Spark Discharge when each Piston is in the right position on their Compression Stokes... BTDC (Before Top Dead Center).

Last edited:

I290

Original poster
Sep 28, 2024
Atlanta, GA
You might give THESE Folks a call... as a Preferred Vendor and with their having a great deal of experience with the GMT360 Platform PCMs And OTHERS) ...when it comes to servicing and restoring our PCMs whenever they happen to... Go Sideways... Discussing what has happened so far with them...could not hurt.

I'll give them a call tomorrow to inquire if they have any suggestions or idea. Thanks for their info.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RRay

Members Online