Vortec 6200 LS issues

Know1else

Original poster
May 30, 2023
Carolina
Having throttle body sensor position p2135 issues, finally, after running miles on the p0304, p0011, p0449.

On the budget schedule, not running on debt, with greedy bankers…

Bought it used, no inspection, cheap and salvage title, it had the ABS schizophrenia from the rusty ground under the driver on the frame, they sold it low on oil, cause it smoked & to hide the oil leak, original or burnt transmission fluid, 200k, jerked and kicked, fell out of gear or stuck in 3rd, clogged solenoids in the TCM, frayed wires on the shift column controls…

Its a money pit, the daily driver, and a miracle its not in the junkyard yet.

Have changed after cleaning one PCVValve cover, added oil catch cans (upr products) to both sides of the vent, been cleaning the fouled spark plug, replaced cylinder 4 injector once, changed the purge canister, the purge valve, p0449 and vapor canister p0446, got the camshaft actuator replaced and p0011 gone.

Have a new oil pan gasket, oil relief valve, and afm shield plus oil pump body o-ring, ready to install. Need to get the rear main done…

Is the Dorman redesign a better rear mainseal or should i just get the seal without the cover?

I’ve been seeing reduced smoke by using Seal Fixx, or other thinner liquid “stop leaks”, in comparison to thick motor honey or Lucas….

Transmission performance stabilized significantly with Lube Gard protectant and lucas slip fix, be careful with the 6l80e, fluid level is extremely precise and if its low, you’ll know, if its overfull, it’ll fall out of gear when its heat up.

I was filling the catch in fifty miles before, now the catch cans barely catch any, but the throttle body saw enough to lose it sensors….

Do i buy a reman throttle body 200 +\- or get the rebuild kit ($140 back cover only) from Gm like the TSB?

B84BC317-A55D-4CEA-B87B-8A6AA66FDF74.png

EAF90B62-7F2E-4A3A-AA13-47C4265C835C.jpegE3E4FB3F-F041-4431-BAB2-9529DB8AC54D.jpegE946B394-538C-4318-B077-B17D4548F2A7.jpeg

Know1else

Original poster
May 30, 2023
Carolina
I had an extra Throttle body, off a used complete TBSS, off an ls3 cathedral port.. matches the model, even though the intake port design and injectors look different…

Going to see if its been “shot” before resold.

Installed used TB, trained ECM, 3 mins run,60 seconds off, 3 mins run at idle.

Still interested in the better option for rebuild or reman…keeping one for backup.

I’ve had the VATS key chip transmitter fail, replaced the starter, relay, and ignition switch before i had someone else identify the issue.

Worked on all 4 brakes, 2 new rotors, in the front, new pads in the back, needs rear drum rotors still…needs new parking brake shoes…

New fluid in the front rear and transfer…

If its been consuming oil for miles, launching like NASA after a nice long red light…think i need a CAT or CAT Delete? Or just Replacement O2 Sensors?

094FE18C-CE6D-478B-85EF-8CB945D3B778.jpegAD8A1634-9724-4BF1-ACF6-E7C00D9708D5.jpeg0D2F9C19-7E8F-4171-91BE-56558BD76F14.jpeg54E4BAEE-7E8E-4D78-84EE-979F95605E7C.jpeg607ECC63-1ED9-487A-ACE1-806F59CAD66A.jpeg

Last edited:

Know1else

Original poster
May 30, 2023
Carolina
It consumes a little oil at launch, from a full stop, but its not noticeably smoking at full speed anymore like it was after cleaning the valve cover valley vent, and getting the catch cans.

I bought one catch can first and installed it on the driver side like they said to do…

Because i was having the misfire on cyl 4 the problem magnified on the passenger side, which vents into the fresh air before the throttle body…so i added another, hard to see, lower left below the battery and large AC line.

Now both cans have a couple drops, but it needs the splash guard afm shield on the oil relief valve still.
6AFF4D40-D149-4C24-BE32-DD932443FD9F.jpeg6FECB14E-2F0C-4961-9E67-F81DF6DABF8B.jpeg

Know1else

Original poster
May 30, 2023
Carolina
Its along story and i aint got enough fingers yet to type fast enough…

They evicted my mechanic, ol guy ASE, i’d buy the beer and got to work alongside him, learning a new trade, learning basic motorist skills….during co vid pandemic, eviction moratorium…

It wasn’t just that, he had move back in with his ma, and she lived five states away. He had a putzy lil dodge caravan with a blown head gasket and it would not pull a uhaul trailer…so i lent him my 04 yukon, and i drove up in my old 97 tahoe…

Then i came across an extra 2 feet, yukon xl…the year of the gremlins 2007…made an offer, and drove it back down south.

Most mechanics want me to drop her off, and tell me i need a new block, buy a used motor for 4k, with less miles…ain’t gonna.

Matching numbers, first year, more wrecked and less left running every passing day, she turning into priceless collectors item.

The first gas job to roll coal like a diesel, and keep on keeping on.

If y’all got any bright ideas, or know somebody that needs some cash around these parts, let me know.

If the moderator can move this thread into the Yukon section, im the knewbee, Thanks moderator for moving and cleaning off topic!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moved to proper section.

Can you post details about your truck. Year, model, engine. I don't think the SBC was still in production, looks like an LS engine, especially since it seems to have DOD.

I know more details are good but you're all over the place, even showing a pic of a broken steering column/shifter. Could you condense your questions into a single sentence?

Reactions: mrrsm

Know1else

Original poster
May 30, 2023
Carolina
Its 6200 vortec, L92, 6.2l 2007, yukon xl, it is LS platform, in my understanding of GM, theres small block chevy v-8, and LBC long block chevy…maybe i’m wrong to call it SBC, but its not a 454 or the 8100 big block.

It is setup for DOD, not AFM…might have the collapsed hydraulic lifter or too much carbon buildup on the valves cyl 4…

Throttle body rebuild kit or reman TB?
Dorman Rear main cover with seal or new rear main seal with OEM cover?

Last edited:

Know1else

Original poster
May 30, 2023
Carolina
Moved to proper section.

Can you post details about your truck. Year, model, engine. I don't think the SBC was still in production, looks like an LS engine, especially since it seems to have DOD.

I know more details are good but you're all over the place, even showing a pic of a broken steering column/shifter. Could you condense your questions into a single sentence?
I read the rules for the site, i’ll keep it concise and clean, in the future

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It is setup for DOD, not AFM…might have the collapsed hydraulic lifter or too much carbon buildup on the valves cyl 4…
DOD and AFM are basically the same thing with different names. DOD was the first name GM gave it but because it's not really "on demand", they quickly switched the name to AFM.

To verify for a collapsed lifter, remove the valve covers and look for a loose rocker, likely on #4 since it seems to be affected and is one of the AFM cylinders. It would very evident if there is a collapsed lifter.
Throttle body rebuild kit or reman TB?
I wasn't aware of a TB rebuild kit. Before I would go either route, I'd try a used one, probably from a pick-n-pull if you have one.

P2135 point to a throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation. There are many possible causes which may not be an issue with the TB.

Potential Causes of P2135 DTC
It's been my experience that the wiring connector or "pig tail" on the throttle body gives problems in the form of a poor connection.The female terminals on the pigtail corrode or pull out of the connector. Possible bare wire on pigtail shorting to ground. The top cover on the throttle body distorted preventing the gears from turning properly. The electronic throttle body is faulty. The accelerator pedal sensor or its wiring failed. The engine management computer has failed. The TPS sensors were not correlating for a few seconds and the computer needs to be cycled through its relearn phase to restore active response to the throttle body, or the computer needs reprogramming at the dealer.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2135
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
The last is a possibility if either the TB or the pedal sensor has been replaced or the TB has been cleaned, requiring a TB relearn.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dorman Rear main cover with seal or new rear main seal with OEM cover?
Personally, I would get the new cover with seal installed. Less possibility of damaging the new seal while installing it in the old cover.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The oil consumption can be a bad PCV valve built into the drivers side valve cover. Seen this a couple times, and had this problem on my Saab. Try replacing the valve cover with NEW.

Edit: If you have not pulled the intake off, there could be a pool, yes a literal pool, of oil in the lower sections of the intake. And as you brake, and throttle, the oil will go into the rear most, and front most, intake runners. Will produce smoke that smells absolutely horrid.. At least it did for me.

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

2016-07-30_16.56.03.jpg

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
The oil consumption can be a bad PCV valve built into the drivers side valve cover. Seen this a couple times, and had this problem on my Saab. Try replacing the valve cover with NEW.
How much oil in the catch cans? If you are seeing minimal amounts and compression is OK then worn valve stem seals might be the culprit.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I didnt have a aftermarket catch can, so my intake manifold was my catch can...

I would say when I did the #1 lifters last year, there was likely a quart in there.

• Wow
Reactions: azswiss

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online