NEED HELP Using HPTuners to pass Emissions?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Bought an HPTuner (coming tomorrow) to finally toy around, and learn a bit more about how programming works. I wanted to get my feet wet, and gives me a reason to do a delete on that troublesome air injection system. Figured nows a good time since the Trailblazer has failed the emissions testing here in Indiana. Particularly the EVAP, and Oxygen Monitors keep coming back that they aren't ready according to the print out. Unfortunately for me, in order to pass EVERYTHING needs to clear.

They did allow 1 monitor to fail, and it was within the last few years (I think 2015) where they changed it to 0.

So in regards to the EVAP, and Oxygen Monitors. What should I disable/change settings on that will at least for now allow the monitors to report "ready" so I can pass the testing? After watching a few overview vids, it seems rather simple. But I also see there are several options regarding the SES/SIL, codes, and what to report/not to report.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As a Brand New HP-Tuners Owner-Tuner... Your BFF for this subject matter is to visit the "Goat Rope Garage" and view all of the Training Videos offered by "Kyle":

But to answer (or steer you in the right direction) on the Questions concerning EPA Regulated Parameters (or more if your particular state has more restrictive emission laws) visit THIS particular Video...First:

By the way...Mike... Since your Profile is incomplete... Let me have the Year - Make- Model- CID of the vehicle you are concerned with and I'll plug it into my Snap-On Vantage Pro and see what if anything additional information-wise is there as "Directed Component Testing" available for the EVAP and O2 Monitors. If so, I can make those up as discreet Screen Prints and then drop them right back in here ...if you have any interest.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
As a Brand New HP-Tuners Owner-Tuner... Your BFF for this subject matter is to visit the "Goat Rope Garage" and view all of the Training Videos offered by "Kyle":

But to answer (or steer you in the right direction) on the Questions concerning EPA Regulated Parameters (or more if your particular state has more restrictive emission laws) visit THIS particular Video...First:

By the way...Mike... Since your Profile is incomplete... Let me have the Year - Make- Model- CID of the vehicle you are concerned with and I'll plug it into my Snap-On Vantage Pro and see what if anything additional information-wise is there as "Directed Component Testing" available for the EVAP and O2 Monitors. If so, I can make those up as discreet Screen Prints and then drop them right back in here ...if you have any interest.

That would be extremely helpful! Definitely adding him to the playlist I've made, along with several others. I don't plan on keeping everything disabled permanently, just so I can pass the test and re-flash the original tune so I can work at my own pace without feeling like I'm on a time crunch. Otherwise, just knowing what needs to be disabled/what to set the error mode to so the monitors can get into a ready state.

Its a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer LT 4x4 with the 4.2

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
NP... Just a Brief Explanation of the value of this information:

(1) The "Directed Component Tests" are one of the main diagnostic features of the Snap-On Vantage Pro Diagnostic Tool.

(2) These Step Through Screen Prints are specific to YOUR SUV and should augment any component testing sequence that follows on if your Restored OEM PCM Calibration fails to clear DTCs and still shows EVAP and incomplete O2 Sensor Drive Cycle issues.

(3) While these Screen Prints are Best Used if done in concert with the Vantage Pro, the information provided below will still be useful with a typical DMM or DVOM, as well as when using an inexpensive Oscilloscope for Duty Cycle Tests. @TJBaker57 has other means and methods for reading Duty Cycle on a Better Quality DMM worth consulting with him about.

(4) If you have a Tech 2 as well as the HP-Tuners Gear, follow the A-Z Steps information listed in Alphabetical Order in the attached "Tech2PATHS.PDF" for additional Tests that only the Tech 2 can provide for making more extensive Drive Time Performance Snap Shots.

(5) I'm limited to 20 Images Per Post at GMT Nation... so there will be at least Four Related Posts in total that have Consecutive Numbered images to be Downloaded, Saved and Reviewed ... EZ2 Organize and look over... whenever needed.

(6) I limited these images to only covering what was available for Locating, Probing and Testing the EVAP Components and for the Two O2 Sensors. Pay close attention to the "Key On- Key Off patterns called for during the Testing of the Related Components.

(7) All Needle Probe Leads used during Back-Probing takes place WITH the Harness Connectors installed onto the components. Handle the probing-readings of the O2s and their Special Harness Wires with Great Care as they are designed for the exclusion of any Atmospheric Oxygen invading them. Any Nicks or Cuts in the Wires can skew their performances if the harnesses are compromised.
IMG_0823.JPGIMG_0824.JPGIMG_0825.JPGIMG_0826.JPGIMG_0827.JPGIMG_0828.JPGIMG_0829.JPGIMG_0830.JPGIMG_0831.JPGIMG_0832.JPGIMG_0833.JPGIMG_0834.JPGIMG_0835.JPGIMG_0836.JPGIMG_0837.JPGIMG_0838.JPGIMG_0839.JPGIMG_0840.JPGIMG_0841.JPGIMG_0842.JPG

More To Follow... (#2) of (4) Posts...

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Post (#2) of 4 Related Posts...

(19 Images + 1 PDF)

IMG_0844.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0846.JPGIMG_0847.JPGIMG_0848.JPGIMG_0849.JPGIMG_0850.JPGIMG_0851.JPGIMG_0852.JPGIMG_0853.JPGIMG_0854.JPGIMG_0855.JPGIMG_0856.JPGIMG_0857.JPGIMG_0858.JPGIMG_0859.JPGIMG_0860.JPGIMG_0861.JPGIMG_0843.JPG

More to Follow (Post #3) of (4) Posts...

Attachments

• gm_tech2_paths.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Post (#3) of (4) Related Posts...

IMG_0862.JPGIMG_0863.JPGIMG_0864.JPGIMG_0865.JPGIMG_0866.JPGIMG_0867.JPGIMG_0868.JPGIMG_0869.JPGIMG_0870.JPGIMG_0871.JPGIMG_0872.JPGIMG_0873.JPGIMG_0874.JPGIMG_0875.JPGIMG_0876.JPGIMG_0877.JPGIMG_0878.JPGIMG_0879.JPGIMG_0880.JPGIMG_0881.JPG

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Post (#4) of (4) Related Posts.

IMG_0882.JPGIMG_0883.JPGIMG_0884.JPGIMG_0885.JPGIMG_0886.JPGIMG_0887.JPGIMG_0888.JPGIMG_0889.JPGIMG_0890.JPGIMG_0891.JPGIMG_0892.JPGIMG_0893.JPGIMG_0894.JPGIMG_0895.JPGIMG_0896.JPGIMG_0897.JPGIMG_0898.JPGIMG_0899.JPG

Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
@mrrsm ! Thank you so much for the images! And as always, the sheer attention to detail with providing clear and concise steps!

I've acquired the HP Tuner today, and I'm thoroughly impressed with it! Aside from the step learning curve for a novice, I'm excited to dive in and see what it's fully capable of!

I don't have a Tech 2 unfortunately, however, I came across this little gem earlier. It appears to be a clone of GMs current scanner tool and software, and includes a "emulated" functioning Tech2. That'll be arriving today, so I'll be able to actually access the EVAP and Oxygen systems.

Upon looking at the DTCs menu in HP Tuners, in theory, if I can't get the monitors to reset. I couldnl technically set everything for the Emissions to "Do not report" which should allow the monitors to quickly return with a "Ready" status?

VXDIAG VCX Nano Multiple GDS2 and TIS2WEB Diagnostic/Programming System for GM/Opel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NACTAY8/?tag=gmtnation-20

Reactions: mrrsm

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
So after spending the last week combing through everything, the issue seems to be with the monitors hanging up with the SAIS. Upon disabling SES, and changing everything to "do not monitor" that pertained to the air pump, and SAIS I no longer see the emissions monitors popping up under VCM Scanner in the DTC box.

I'll be taking her tomorrow for another test, and will report back it she passes or fails.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Well round 3 failed, same monitors showing up...both EVAP and OXY. Loaded up VCM Scanner, and sure enough there they were. Odd. Pulled VCM Editor up, and loaded the tune off the PCM. Ah....oops. I wrote the file that had just the SAIS disabled/deleted, instead of the one with the Emissions temporarily disabled. :duh:

After double checking, and going through the list once more before writing it I now have the "correct" tune loaded onto the truck. Monitors are all showing completed EXCEPT the EVAP. I am going to attribute this to needing at least a drive cycle, or too...especially with it being a full tank...

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
After driving the Trailblazer around, including letting it just idle the EVAP monitor is still reading incomplete in VCM Scanner. Is there some sort of procedure for getting that monitor to show ready? Unless there is something I missed in the DTC section to switch to "off"?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Try looking through the HP-Tuners VCM User's Manual PDF Linked below after Downloading and Saving this Searchable Copy of this information on Page 32 for more specific instructions. I have added a Screen Print of Page 32 to assist you more immediately:

CHECKINGEMISSIONSMONITORSS.jpg

In many cases...the BEST assistance for modified or updated Emission Monitors Drive Testing to achieve the Completion of CARB Standards EPA Evap Monitor actions may be found in the published GM TSBs... AND in the Diagnostic Section of the GM OEM Service Manual available here at GMT Nation via @Mooseman's Epic Thread.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Search for a post I did recently regarding a procedure for completing the drive cycle for the evap or may be on the faq

Reactions: mrrsm

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Apologies for the long delay responding back!

The Trailblazer has passed emissions finally...:celebrate:

It took 3 drive cycles for the EVAP monitor to finally read "ready" through VCM Scanner. Despite keeping the tank between half and a 3/4. Took a 3 hour trip, and another top off and finally it was reporting ready. What a absolute pain that was.

Reflashed the stock tune (with only the SAIS systems disabled), so I can work my way through and see whats causing the hangup with the Catalyst and EVAP monitors to not ready up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online