Update and why I won't be posting much (long)

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Not that I am a big post whore, but thought I would share what's going on since I consider you all friends.

Last Thursday had some blood in the old urine. Also ohad a fluttering in my heart.

Friday went to family doctor. Was perscribed antibiotics for a unirary infection and scheduled an appt with cardiologist.

Friday night - Extreme (like worst I have ever felt) pain on my left side - Ambulance to ER, CAT scan.

So turns out apparently I have a fairly large tumor on or around my left kidney. I will be making an appointment to have it removed, and the doctor stated that this type of mass is 99% of the time cancerous.

THe CAT scan did not show a spread anywhere, but it was definately alarming. Cardiologist will deal with the heart A-Fib after the surgery (keeping it in check with medicaion now).

Yesterday I had the surgical consultation with my Urologist. What was to be a 30 minute meeting was about 90 minutes, but that is a good thing, as I got a lot of information.

The procedure will likely be scheduled in 3-6 weeks. There are a number of things which must happen first before the surgery can be done.

I need to get 2 tests. One is a bone scan, which is scheduled for next Wednesday the 3rd of October. The other is called a renal scan for split renal function, which is scheduled for This Friday the 28th. This test is to insure the remaining kidney is functioning correctly and can support the body after the surgery.

As for the surgery itself, it is called a Hand Assisted Laparoscopic Nephrectomy. It is a combination of an open surgery and Laparoscopic surgery. The incision will need to be large enough to remove the mass. They do not want to break it up due to the possibility of spreading any "bad stuff" (that is not a medical term). Due to the nature of the tumor, the surgery will remove both the mass, and the left kidney.

I also spoke to an Oncologist today because in the other Cat Scans there appeared to be a lymphoma in the area under the kidney. He ordered a biopsy on that to determine the status of it before the surgery. If needed, that can also be removed, but I don’t know if it would be done at the same time as the other procedure. There is also a chance that the CAT scan just reflected an inflammation, and it may be nothing.

The Urologist also noticed that my thyroid levels were strange, and thinks that this may be part of the cause of my A-Fib. He ordered blood work which I had completed today, so we will see if that turns up anything.

After the surgery, the typical hospital stay is 3-5 days, depending on how things heal. After that, I will be off of work for approximately 3 weeks.

I think I covered everything. I have to say that the Urologist’s office is top notch. The assistant to the doctor I have is named Judy. She was absolutely fantastic in coordinating it so I could get into the Oncologist today. She is unlike any medical office person I have ever seen, and was truly a blessing today with all of her assistance. She really cares about her patients, and was very comforting.

As updates arise, I will do my best to let you know.

Chris

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
Holy shit. well i hope that it is not cancerous. You are in my prayers brother. Hope you get better real quick.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Chris,

Wow! I got no words except that I hope all goes as planned and it gets taken care of.

Best of luck.

Matt

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Chris-
Take care of yourself bud, you've been around for a long time and it better stay that way! We'll be here when you get back, sorry to hear about your kidney and hope the surgery goes smoothly. :thumbsup:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Best of luck! I am sure everything will go well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Take care of yourself. We'll be thinking of ya!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:iagree:

take care of yourself man... hope all goes well...

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
I know the feeling. Hang in there. They can do alot now days. They gave me a 40% chance and im doing great so far.:smile:

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
Wow Chris, so sorry to hear this. I hope all the best for you. Get well quickly.

-Jay

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Hope all goes well and good luck, just keep the faith and never give up... Thoughts will be going out to ya`.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
You will be in my family's thoughts and prayers. Praying for a speedy, and complete recovery.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Best of luck. Over 20 years ago my mom gave my lil bro a kidney. She was cut from spine to belly button back then. She has had no issues since the surgery. My lil bro has had 3 kidney transplants and now gives speeches on organ donation. Keep your head up. Drs are amazing these days.

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sorry I have not updated this thread in a while.

Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday October 31st as long as the hurricane does not interfere with those plans.

They will be removing the left kidney (and the mass on it) through laproscopy. If for some reason they can not get it out that way, they will have to do an open surgery.

The P.E.T. scans and bone scans showed no spread of the cancer at this time. The Oncologist seems to think that once the surgery is completed, that will be the end of my need for him. Hope he is correct.

Will post back after the surgery.

Chris

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Best of Luck! Thooughts and Prayers to you and your family!

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Best of Luck! Thooughts and Prayers to you and your family!

Thanks. And thank you to all the well wishes! I am trying my best to stay positive, but will always be a little nervous.

Chris

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Best of Luck! Thoughts and Prayers to you and your family!

:iagree: Absolutely best of luck!

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
My thoughts and prayers are with ya.......hope all goes well!!!

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Holy crap man! Thanks for sharing your story with our community- I am hoping your surgery goes well and you are in our prayers. Best of luck

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread.

Truckloads of prayers coming from over here bro....hope it all works out for you, that's indeed some scary sheet.

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wanted to follow up on this thread. Had the surgery on Wednesday. Surgeon sai d everything went very well, and they did remove the kidney laproscopickly. Surgery took 3 hours and the kidney was larger thab they exoectd. This will be huge for my recovery time. Was on an epidural, but they removed that last night, and I get perkaset if needed. So far the pain is manageable, and I hav takes the pain meds once. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers, now the recovery at home begins, hopefully tomorrow!!

Chris

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Good news mate. Happy to hear the surgery went well. Best of luck with your recovery!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is good news. Hope the recovery is short and not too painful.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
great news !!!

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Good to hear. So far im stile cancer free too. Its a scary time. I stile cant walk very long, but can walk. Good luck to ya.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
That's good to hear, hang in there. Hope your recovery is quick and as pain-free as possible. :thumbsup:

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Got the staples out on Monday, and everything is going well. Feeling great, and going back to work (desk job) this coming Monday.

Will have CAT scans every 6 months for 5 years to monitor everything, but they think they got it all, and at this point, there is no radiation or Chemo needed. Very lucky.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Chris

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Don't know how I missed this thread. Wish you a full recovery Chris, take a easy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online