Trouble shifting out of park

gene813

Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
During the last 2 cold snaps My Envoy becomes very difficult to get out of park. When the air temp drops to below 50 degrees I practically have to beat the release to get the shifter to move.

Once I do get it out of park, all works as advertised.

Another problem that seems to be related is the ignition key will not turn all the way to the lock position and I am unable to remove the key. All this occurs when the temp drops below 50 degrees, so not often as I live in Florida.

I suggestion I have received backs up my suspicion that the break switch is sticking. I just do not want to TS by R&R.

Has anyone else had this problem?

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
These two problems are probably related. The shift interlock wires are under the boot/console for your shifter. The wires on the harness are prone to flexing and may break or start to break. The symptoms are not being able to remove the key and not being able to shift out of park (two different wires on the same harness).

This happened to me. I removed the console in the center and repaired it myself. It was not that bad, just some time and a screwdriver. Let me know if you want I think I can find a thread on the old site with some pictures that show how to do this.... (or you can just pay a shop to do it for you).

I would bet heavily your wires are flexing/breaking on yours.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:tiphat: Welcome to the family Gene!

:iagree: with checking the wiring to the solenoid first. Like he said, getting the console out isn't too hard, just a bunch of screws. Depending on how socially involved you want to get with the site, help isn't too far away if you need it. :thumbsup:

Reactions: gene813 and Mounce

gene813

Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Thank you all for your replies. I have Thursday off...will let you know how it all works out.

Gene

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online