Treadwrights

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
159 vs 289 a tire for me. No other benefit but i could not find a benefit to buying new. At least not functional. In my case...same warranty, safety, and wear for recap or new.

Wow, big cost difference for sure. Are retread tires speed rated, is a V rating (149mph) retread available? Not that I can go that fast, just curios if a retread can perform well at high speeds or is it more prone to a failure? Maybe they are better suited for off roading, IDK? The $520/set is sure a nice saving tho...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wouldnt know. I deal in mud tires basically.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Regulator said:
There were a lot of them done at your place, I was there for most of them and of course will be again.

Well then, a trip to the farm maybe :biggrin: I am still willing to bring beer, pay for pizza and I will even bring stuff to make s'mores for Regulator :thumbsup:

Melaronius

Aug 22, 2012
Short Bus said:
I've heard the Bilstein rear socks aren't long enough for a lifted truck
The ones designed for a stock TB aren't, but most people with lifts just use the ones designed for lifted Avalanches. Part Number 24-185783.

Note: The bottom is not wide enough for the the Trailblazer mounting bracket so washers need to be used to fill the gap. (8 - 12 mm washers for each shock)

XSeny.jpg

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Melaronius said:
The ones designed for a stock TB aren't, but most people with lifts just use the ones designed for lifted Avalanches. Part Number 24-185783.

Note: The bottom is not wide enough for the the Trailblazer mounting bracket so washers need to be used to fill the gap. (8 - 12 mm washers for each shock)

XSeny.jpg

Not really sure where you got the idea that most people run those. In reality the ride sucks on the Avalanche shocks. Most of the off road trucks are running a white body shock like the BDS 5500 model.

Voymom said:
Well then, a trip to the farm maybe :biggrin: I am still willing to bring beer, pay for pizza and I will even bring stuff to make s'mores for Regulator :thumbsup:

I will be there! Beer, pizza, and smores are fine with me, Kyle may require a bottle of Makers Mark.

CdnGMan said:
Usually, the main benefit is cost. With these Treadrights tho, they're almost as costly as a new tire in some cases.

Not sure what prices your looking at, but I saved a considerable amount of money in purchasing my set of 5 versus buying name brand MT's local.

NJTB said:
Hardtrails, You're right. I have NO hard evidence besides working as a mechanic in the field from the 70's to the 90's. That's where I saw the failures. And again, you're right, new tires fail too.
But then, how many 'road gators' do you see on the highway.
In NJ, there was a company that imported recap tires from China. They had a failure rate so high the government forced a recall, and stopped them from doing business in this state. This happened two or three years ago.
I should have written it was a personal preference, and that I wouldn't get them for the family car.

I knew last night when I saw your first comment that you would come back with the same argument that everyone uses when this discussion comes up. Please keep in mind that the "road gators" that you are talking about are coming off trucks that have hundreds of thousands of miles on them and are getting driven on for 12-16 hours a day. They also have a lot more weight and demand on them then what we are talking about. The mission and conditions are so far different that it is not a fair comparison.

Do a bit more research next time before bad mouthing a product, your "experience" is 20 years in the past. Technology changes and building processes constantly improve. I have no concerns at all with running these tires and have almost 40k miles on them. Many of those miles are with my wife and 3 kids in the truck as well!

Melaronius

Aug 22, 2012
Regulator said:
Not really sure where you got the idea that most people run those. In reality the ride sucks on the Avalanche shocks. Most of the off road trucks are running a white body shock like the BDS 5500 model.
Most people with lifts who choose to use Bilstein use... better?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Melaronius said:
Most people with lifts who choose to use Bilstein use... better?
Very few of us lifted use Bilteins in the rear.

Voymom- to your original about changing the fronts go with the Bilstein HDs and it will be fine. You may want to wait to replace the front when you do the lift though because it all has to come apart.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
djthumper said:
Very few of us lifted use Bilteins in the rear.

Voymom- to your original about changing the fronts go with the Bilstein HDs and it will be fine. You may want to wait to replace the front when you do the lift though because it all has to come apart.

Thanks! They aren't to horribly bad, at least not to me anyways, but I know they are original to the truck. I will probably just do the rear diff, front diff, and t-case, brakes and so forth, and leave suspension stuff alone for now until I can get the lift installed. I think Mat okay'ed a trip to Indy when we decide to get our lifts installed. I don't want to get myself into something that I have no experience in and very little knowledge about.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
159 vs 289 a tire for me. No other benefit but i could not find a benefit to buying new. At least not functional. In my case...same warranty, safety, and wear for recap or new.

Lol my new tires were $999.28 out the door so pretty much $250 each

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
AV8ER said:
Lol my new tires were $999.28 out the door so pretty much $250 each

Wow for $878.65 I outfitted both of my rigs. It's been a very long time since I have payed anywhere near that much for one vehicle.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The 35s i want a $1000 would be like Christmas...n that's only 4

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I may have set a budget for $800.00 but I know that I don't have to spend that exact amount, in fact if I set the budget high, and come in under budget...I can usually walk out with a nice set of tires for example and a few outfits, kids toys or a nice purse lol I usually and almost always try to stay under budget just in case there is something nice I would like to have with the left over money lol

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I really like my Firestone Destination AT tires. Excellent grip and wear, they are rated at 50k and I have 44k on them, still more than 6k left for sure. HOWEVER, Treadwright's pricing is very tempting and I may go that route next time, getting the Warden tires.

As far as the tire gators on the road, I'm not sure if they still "glue" new tread on semi tires or not for their retreads (it is my understanding they used to) but Treadwright puts new tread on the carcasses in the same way that a new tire is made. Because of that, it can't really separate and throw the whole tread off the tire like you see thrown from semis too easily.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online