NEED HELP Transmission swapped, reprogramming?

JTMSavesTheDay

Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Florida
Just got the transmission swapped out in my 03 Trailblazer. I am told by the person that did the work that I need to take it to the dealer to get the transmission reprogrammed. Is this normal or a little unheard-of? Just wondering. He said it's not very common but once and a while when a transmission is swapped for a used one it is required . Is this normal?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No but I have seen on the Tech 2 a setting for the transmission to reset the PCM to a NEW transmission. I think it adjusts the shifts and pressures over the lifetime of the tranny but in your case, it won't make any difference since it's used.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
When you replace the transmission in the newer GM vehicles there is a re-flash that has to be done. This is because the transmission control module is inside the transmission. I could be wrong, but, I think that it started with the 6 speed transmissions.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Which basically means it does not apply to a GMT360...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The older GMT360s have a PCM instead of separate ECM and TCM, but even the newer GMT360s with a separate ECM and TCM still doesn't have the TCM in the transmission because the 4L60E was never built that way.

You likely have to do nothing but drive it. It might take a few miles for it to learn any changes (mine would take a few after installing my shift kits, for example) but that's about it. It could help perhaps to disconnect the battery - clean the throttle body while you're at it - then hook it back up to help reset some parameters.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online