transmission line woes

ryan

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My truck is 2007.not a speck of rust anywhere, as matter of fact when i got tires recently. the tech commented on how clean the undercarriage was no signs of rust at all. yesterday on highway felt a slip in tranny . then was fine thought i was being ocd..got to work and looked underneath, from front tire to rear hatch coverered in atf..both rear lines rotted right thru..had tranny shop replace all 4 lines today..365 total..and watched him do it looked like a bitch glad i didnt attempt it..so beware... powering steering lines dont look great either

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
ryan said:
My truck is 2007.not a speck of rust anywhere,

That's not true there was some on the tranny lines. JK, lol. :smile: you must live up north like me.

That sucks but normal to rust. I picked up my 08 in march and the lower intake was all rusted had dealer replace as part of sale. Was going try myself did it look to hard but the lines going in to the tranny do look to be PITA.
A fellow mech friend told me that it is normal for them to rust every 5-6 years.

View attachment 29295

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372892581.755071.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372892581.755071.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 43

ryan

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Rs8892 said:
That's not true there was some on the tranny lines. JK, lol. :smile: you must live up north like me.

That sucks but normal to rust. I picked up my 08 in march and the lower intake was all rusted had dealer replace as part of sale. Was going try myself did it look to hard but the lines going in to the tranny do look to be PITA.
A fellow mech friend told me that it is normal for them to rust every 5-6 years.

View attachment 15893

Lol,, you have a point there,plenty of rust on lines

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
This All sounds too familiar to me... Been stranded twice because of it. Fixed properly now though...

gapyhuma.jpg

aqejerav.jpg

eqaze5y4.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If GM had coated the lines to protect against rust at least for a little while that would have been nice. Seems they are just raw metal. Brilliant.

I replaced my trans lines the first year I had the truck (it was 8 years old) the lines weren't really leaking yet but were pretty rusty and I had read about the issue beforehand. Not a fun job, but not too terrible either. $365 is a good price for the work IMO. I did them myself with some help of a friend but we also did some mod work in the valve body of the transmission while we were at it.

My PS lines are looking worse for wear, and could use a replacement also soon. Part of me is just tempted to replace those lines with hoses to make it easier and call it a day :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online