Transmission Fluid Quantity

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Does anyone know how much transmission fluid I will need to replace the old one? I couldn't find it in the manual, just stated Dexron III.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think 13 or 14 qts, but you may as well upgrade to dextron 6 while doing it.

Reactions: triz and mubai

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends if you're doing just a pan drop and replace or a flush. Download the manuals (link on my sig) and it should be listed.

Dexron VI is the new GM standard. They don't even recognize or control Dexron III anymore. Better fluid overall.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I figured he was replacing old transmission and would need all fluid by his initial post.

Reactions: mubai

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
I figured he was replacing old transmission and would need all fluid by his initial post.
Agree, I think he did mean when replacing the filter... translation difficulty, possibly. Now he knows both amounts :thumbsup:

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure what I was going to do at the time when I posted the, left for interpretation, question.

A flush = 11.4 quarts of fluid. (And require a repair shop because of the special machine)
A drop and replace = 5 quarts of fluid.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Never do the machine flush! If you want to do a flush to get rid of most of the old fluid, use this method from the OS:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=88

Works great, less mess and uses the normal flow of fluid as opposed to machine flushes which does it under pressure and possibly backwards like some machines do.

Of course this does not apply to a newly rebuilt dry transmission.

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks!

I'm giving the truck to my cousin and want to make sure I get all the maintenance stuff done so the car runs well for him.

Reactions: Robbabob

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Well it looks like we're going to try that trans flush method tomorrow. I've never done it before so it will be neat to see if it gets all of the nastyness out of mubai's trans like the (brand omitted) machine at my old work did.

Reactions: Mounce and Robbabob

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Mounce said:
Video opportunity to help other guys like myself that need to change their fluid! :yes:
Yup camera batts are charging. :cool:

I think I've mentioned my ghetto flush idea before. Works just like the machine at my old work (which tees into cooler line, relies on trans pump for flow, gets 100% of fluid out) except in the ghetto version a second pump would be used for pumping fluid in while the trans pump pumps it out. I got the cooler adapter just need a good pump.

I don't even know if that makes sense. It works in my brain at least. :biggrin:

Robbabob said:
Since he's never done it, this should be some interesting footage. First take: The instructions say... Second take: you actually do it a different way, POS WTF FMR.
If it doesn't work I'll just blame it on trailvoy. :rotfl:

if it does I'll credit the author of the article but not where the article can be found because f*** them. :cool:

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
At Walmart, i have 6 quarts of ATF Dex 6. Trying to find more, sales guy went to check "in the back."

image.jpg

Reactions: MAY03LT

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I've got some 6 so no worries there. :cool:

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Ok cool. Text me if u need me to bring any tools.

I went to another walmart and wasted 30 minutes while the guy brought antifreeze from the back twice!

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
mubai, I went on line and it shows the Walmart in stock numbers.. I found 2 our of 4 stores had 6 and 8 quarts in stock. So only had to make 2 trips. Yea that stuff is costly, and hard to find in that quantity. Local auto parts stores would have to order it. I dropped pan replaced filter, added a cooler, put it together and added 4 quarts Then did the flush mentioned above (open line up front) into a bucket. Took about 9 more quarts (13 total) till fluid was nice and clean enough for me. . Used the 14th quart for good measure, after all that work and already spent the money my as well use it and get it perfect.. Basically it took a couple more quarts than the tranny/converter capacity due to new stuff mixing with old as its pushing the old oil out. (plus maybe a 1/2 pint in the new cooler). IMO 12 qts would be the bare minimum for a flush. .

Reactions: mubai
Dec 4, 2011
Your experience is exactly what happened when i did the exchange (can't bring myself to say FLUSH). 14 quarts with the last probably just for mental health not practical health. But i had a good feeling when it was done.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
So we followed the exchange procedure:

Popping the cooler line off and running the pump got close to 5 qts out.
When we dropped the pan we might have got 2-3 qts out.
Put 5 back in.
It took 9 qts to get the fluid coming out of the line to look good.
Afterward hooking the line back up and running the trans it took 3.5 to top off the fluid.

Fortunately I had some 6 sitting at the shop since my walmarts couldn't get it for 3 weeks LOL

It seemed excessive but the fluid was nasty, In extreme nastyness cases there were times at my old work that I'd have to run the machine twice (28 qts) to get the nastyness out.

I was impressed with this process since you can see the crap get pumped out. Gonna do the same thing to my TB now and prbably the Tahoe too.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mounce said:
So all in all, how much 6 should a fella buy to be sure he has enough?
Group buy a 55 gallon drum? [emoji13]

Anyway, seeing as how this worked well, I may do it since I really have no clue what jiffy lube put in, all I know is that it said dex vi. After I do the antifreeze that is.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Mounce said:
So all in all, how much 6 should a fella buy to be sure he has enough?
I would say 14 is the minimum, and more depending on how nasty the stuff is. The only thing I can figure is at the part where we put 9 in, we may have got 12 out. I really need to do mine and get more accurate measurements as to what came out. Note: mine is also super nasty LOL

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
If you're doing this by yourself then I would buy 20 quarts. When it starts running clear and you run in to turn off the truck, you're going to lose at least another quart if not more.

I purchased the Walmart brand Supertech, which was the cheapest I found around. $4.27/quart. I had to buy another two quarts at Advanced Auto the day we did the "exchange." $6.99/quart. Point is buy 20 quarts from Walmart in advance, then you can return what you don't need. :coffee:

Also, first time I changed my own oil! Thanks MAY03LT! :thumbsup: I've done all kinds of suspension work, electronics, brakes/rotors, exhaust, but never changed my own oil. I generally take any fluid work to a shop because it's messy. Not a good situation if you spill oil when you have a tandem driveway with a small one car garage.

Also, looking forward to the trans fluid exchange YouTube video. *MAY03LT* :wooot:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
mubai said:
Also, first time I changed my own oil! Thanks MAY03LT! :thumbsup: I've done all kinds of suspension work, electronics, brakes/rotors, exhaust, but never changed my own oil. I generally take any fluid work to a shop because it's messy. Not a good situation if you spill oil when you have a tandem driveway with a small one car garage.
No prob my man. I was really shocked when you said that since I know you've done some things that are above what I consider DIY. But yeah it's a messy job so I don't blame ya.

mubai said:
Also, looking forward to the trans fluid exchange YouTube video. *MAY03LT* :wooot:
I won't lie it will probably be June before it's up :yes:

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Just saw the video. Really good how to. I look like I need like 8 hours more of sleep, I was definitely sluggish that day. Can you/I post the link to the video here?

Reactions: Eric04

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't see why not. May03LT has his own thread with links to all his videos but posting it here is a good idea regardless.

Heck, since he mentioned my name in the video, I'll post it myself! I feel like a star! :inlove:

Last edited:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I want to add a couple free hints on the pan.

you can screw the tranny pan bolts into the rubber gasket, which will hold it on, without using any gasket sealant (no issue with using some, just not required if you pop a couple bolts into the gasket)

and be sure to start all the tranny pan bolts with your fingers, by hand, not with any kind of socket wrench, they are very easy to cross-thread into the aluminum transmission case (please do not ask me how I know)

Nice video.

liked the ciggie hanging around, not the best mix with brake cleaner, but reminds me of old family movies of me with my kids. ( I managed to quit finally)

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Mooseman said:
I can't see why not. May03LT has his own thread with links to all his videos but posting it here is a good idea regardless.

Heck, since he mentioned my name in the video, I'll post it myself! I feel like a star! :inlove:
I gotta give credit where it's due, naddahmean? :cool:

meerschm said:
liked the ciggie hanging around, not the best mix with brake cleaner, but reminds me of old family movies of me with my kids. ( I managed to quit finally)
Thanks for the tips and congrats on quitting!

Theblackarrow

Feb 1, 2015
Mooseman said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXzYlTHvow
Oh man i wish if this Great man is here in Qatar i am sure i will be 100% fully secured against any Car trouble :love0001:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
20150715_151230.jpg

I did this again today on my Tahoe and I have something else to add. I coulda swore I saw a post in this thread by gmcman where he that said after the part where you change the filter and add 5, he runs the engine until 4 quarts comes out and then shuts it down. Then he adds another 4 and repeats. Well since I was by myself today I tried it that way and I have to say that worked better then the method in the article. I did the procedure 4 times and got 16 quarts of nasty out of it. So thanks gmcman for the tip it worked great!

Also I had a seeping cooler line so I swapped that out as well. I tied one end of that old line into the upper cooler fitting at the radiator, ran the line towards the drivers side, and then tied the other end to the hose that went into the bucket so I could see when I was around 4 quarts right from the drivers door.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
MAY03LT said:
attachicon.gif
20150715_151230.jpg

So thanks gmcman for the tip it worked great!
You bet! Anytime.

DIY Fixer

Nov 10, 2015
Wisconsin
I have a question about doing those fluid flush on the 2002 plus year GMC Envoy.

I did watch MAY03LT video on his fluid flush of Mubai GMC Envoy and he remove the trans cooler line on the Passenger Side..

I also watch another video on the same fluid flush but it was done on a 2003 Chevy TrailBlazer video by Don Smith...
and he remove the Driver Side trans cooler line.

Just want to know can I use either trans cooler line to flush the old transmission fluid out of the tranny?
Should I use the driver side trans cooler line to flush the fluid from the tranny and in the cooler too?

What should I do about the seal for the transmission filter. Should I pop it out and change it or just leave it alone and hoping the o-ring in the old seal won't crack.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I think either way is fine. The only benefit we had from the method that we followed was that we didn't need an adapter to tie in the discharge hose. When I did my Tahoe I went to the outlet of the cooler and used an old cooler line (and some rubber hose) as a discharge hose. A cooler adapter isn't that much, I think the last time I saw it, it was $9.

You probably know my opinion on that stupid seal so maybe someone else will chime in on that. :cool:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have never changed it. Actually, that's a lie. I changed it ONCE. Never again. It was a real PITA to get out. It will outlive the transmission.

If you have a pick-a-part nearby, grab a line off any truck. They probably won't even charge you for it. The only advantage to doing it at the discharge of the cooler is to flush out the wee little bit of old fluid that didn't dribble out the open end. Is it worth it? Meh.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online