NEED HELP Transmission advice &/or suggestions

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Ok guy I really need some help or guidance here. Two weeks ago on a road trip i got out my '05 4.2l Envoy and heard a weird noise coming from under the truck. Initially I thought it was a exhaust header leak as it had a ticking noise to something similar and well the transmission was shifting fine with no issues. When i got home I realize the noise was coming from the bell housing area. The noise was consistent whether idling or in gear. Thinking back when driving to work in the morning I would hear like a groaning noise in thre transmission tunnel area, but figured it was the A/C blower as transmission showed no signs of issue. So i figured it was either the starter or the flexplate causing such noise. I got the starter checked out and rebuilt and the noise was still there. So I had an extra flex plate and took it to the mechanic to have it changed as I figured it had a crack in it and that was the noise. I did some research online and this is what it seemed to be when the starter checked out. Got a call from the mechanic and they said they change the flex plate and the noise was still there. They then commenced to do a torque converter test by driving the truck like maniacs I guess. They said when they did this the last gear began to slip and then the truck went as if in neutral. They shut it down and started it back up and the truck would not move...in any gear. They concluded that the noise was the torque converter and now it had failed. Now I have bought a brand new AC Delco converter but I am not sure if this is really the problem. I could not have it checked by any other mechanic due to time, my job, and just the lack of good available mechanics. This is why I usually do all my own stuff but something like this I had no time to mess around with. I scanned the truck today with my ScanXL Pro GM enhanced license and no codes are showing up for anything. Now I need some advice or suggestions or anything. I really don't want to be throwing any more money at this truck as I already have more fixing it than what I bought it for. I had to replace the engine 6 months ago. I really love the truck but if its not the converter or something simple I'll just have to sell it as a loss and get something else as my job requires me to be highly mobile and it's been highly stressful trying to find alternate transportation for the meantime. I'll list some notes at the bottom whether related or not and hope you guys can help or guide me in some way. I have tools and am mechanically enclined to do troubleshooting that doesnt require pulling the trans.Thanks in advance.

-engine replace 6 months ago
-upon inspection starter only had one bolt holding it in and was slightly loose, nut on the other side was missing
-tranny filter and fluid changed 6 months ago
-engine oil replaced 1 month ago
-brakes replaced 2 months ago
-no shifting issues prior or up to when it went to the mechanic
-I have been on about 6 road trips during the last 3 months, most with hilly terrain
-noise was limited to bellhousing
-flexplate taken out was fine, no cracks or damaged teeth
-I had to driver through maybe 4-6 inches of flood water day or two before noise appeared
-throttle body cleaned week before

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Personally, I would return the TC and have the truck towed to a reputable trans shop, OR, drop the trans pan yourself and see if there any bits/pieces at the bottom of the tray.

When my planetary gear went bad (within the trans), it would go in/out of drive constantly and it made a nasty noise, like shaking a soda can with a few small stones in it. Mine also went bad shortly after a fluid change.

Driving through a few inches of water really shouldn't have done anything to it, unless you drove though like you were in a NASCAR race or something. It could have just be a coincidence, or it may have added extra stress to internal trans parts that were "on-the-brink" already.

I agree that the cost will make or break the decision of keeping it or not. If it's has faulty or broken internal parts, you're looking at about $2k + for a rebuild. You might be able to find one that's rebuilt or used on craigslist for less than half the cost and install it yourself. That is, if you find that it's in need of a rebuild...

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I also forgot to mention that the noise is now gone since not being able to move.

*EDIT* I check the fluid before and after starting the truck and no change to oil level. Next I pulled the trans line going into the cooler and started the engine...no fluid came out at all. I visually inspected everything under and only problem I could find is the breather hose was disconnected.

Last edited:

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I can not diagnose that too much since I've never really got my hands into a trans rebuild, but I'm assuming that since there is no flow in/out of the hoses, a pump inside of the trans went bad and probably fried some internals from the lack of fluid. Again though, it's just a guess. I'd drop the pan to see if there's anything (other than fluid) at the bottom of it. That's normally the best indicator.

mfnman88

Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
Feel free to call me and idiot if this doesn't make sense, but if the Torque converter went bad and isn't engaging at all then the trans pump wouldn't be spinning so there would be no fluid being pumped. Id take off the Torque converter and shake it (after emptying it) It may have a little rattle, or more of a clunk as the internals slide but if it sounds like a can of stones your TC is probably the issue. THIS old guy's trick might help you out too.

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
@mfnman88 I wondered about that as well, but from what I'm seeing the part that drives the pump is not internally located. It's on the converter housing which spins with the engine....I think. Can anyone confirm or give insight?

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This video gives a Good Breakdown and Explanation...

But after your description of having no fluid exiting the Transmission Cooler lines... there would only be Three Reasons why nothing would be getting pumped out:

(1) The Engine is NOT Running or the Engine IS Running but the Torque Converter Bolts have been removed.
(2) There is either No Fluid or Very Low Fluid present inside the Transmission Oil Pan.
(3) The Transmission Fluid Pump is Inoperative and needs to be replaced along with other internal components that would more than likely recommend a complete Rebuild or Re-Manufactured replacement.

But Honestly... I am ignorant of how many GMT360 Vehicle are local to your area and very curious about how common the 4L60E Transmission is in your Central American Country of Belize. How difficult or expensive would it be to have this work done by a Transmission Repair Business?

My personal experience with this problem involves purchasing a completely re-manufactured transmission from a company in Texas, USA that offered a 3 Year, 100,000 Mile Warranty. And the with the inclusion of having a New Torque Converter and doing the Dealership CASE Re-Learn and Software Updates ensured that after I installed it... it was PERFECT.

2lkabef.jpg

Other Members may have similar experiences with other companies... but for me... this turned out to be a Very Good Deal. I kept my Old Transmission in case I wanted to rebuild it myself... but the company had Free S&H to send the New Transmission and they were willing to provide a decent rebate and pay their own freight for the old one to be sent back to validate the Warranty. They do specify that their Free S&H does not apply to purchases outside of the Continental United States. In any case... you could still call them and find out if they have any local affiliates in your country. Here is the eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Chevro...ash=item4d4cb00128:g:8GEAAOSw8gVX~9x9&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

mfnman88

Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
So I says to myself "self, you're an idiot." Your right dna59. The pump is driven by the 2 tabs on the TC shaft that go into the trans. If the TC housing is spinning, then the pump should be moving. What did the fluid look like on the end of the dipstick.
Pink=new
reddish=used
brown=burnt
any of above with a lot of silvery flakes= $$$

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
The fluid looked more pink than red from the dipstick. I won't even bother dropping the pan. At this point i don't trust anyone locally to do a trans rebuild. My option at this point I guess is to import a transmission or just take the loss and sell as is. Which I don't mind taking the loss but I'm not finding any vehicles I like locally so I might be forced to just get a trans.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen