Transfer case fluid change

B33p3r

Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Can someone point me to a post telling how to change the X-fer case fluid and what fluid to use? I had the tranny serviced but I don't think the Xfer case was included? Should it have been or would I have to specifically tell them to do it? Typically I'd have the shop do it but this forum has so much support I'm feeling comfortable enough to do it myself with all your guidance.

Reactions: Hypnotoad

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If it says "Auto Trak II" and it's made by GM, that's the stuff.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
POW said:
I can't seem to find (at least online) the same fluid MAY03LT uses in his video referenced above... Will this fluid be acceptable? http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid-88900402-Auto-Transfer/dp/B00BK7LYSY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1404752480&sr=1-2&keywords=auto+trak+ii+transfer+case+fluid

2 qts correct?

Hopefully this will help the OP as well as me.

Thanks.
Have you tried a local dealer? That's the correct fluid, but it's one of the few things that are just as cheap at a dealer. Especially if you have to pay for shipping.

Dec 4, 2011
3704673.jpg

This is a pump that pumps oil into the lower end of an outboard engine. They cost about 10.00 bucks and they will screw into the Auto Trac II bottles and then you can just pump. The hose is a little longer than the suction pump and you don't have to pour any back into the bottle, just stop pumping when the overflow begins. These should be available at Walmart and Harbour Freight. If not try a marine store they will have one for sure. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mounce

kkeo211

Apr 14, 2014
I picked up some "Auto Trak II" at O'reilly auto parts for about the same price as the dealer along with a fluid pump. The TC fluid job is decently easy, just make sure you can get the fill plug out before you remove the drain plug. My fill plug came out without any issue. Also, make sure you have a large drain pan because the old fluid will shoot out.

Reactions: loondog33

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
kkeo211 said:
Also, make sure you have a large drain pan because the old fluid will shoot out.
+1
I wasn't expecting the old fluid to shoot out like it did (duh, I had the front wheels on ramps to drain) and I was green for the rest of the afternoon.

Also, +1 for the pump that screws into the bottle. I got one for $5 at Napa.

For anyone looking to get AutoTrak II, I actually recommend getting it from anywhere besides the dealer. Stupid Fitzgerald Chevrolet charged me nearly $15 a bottle for the stuff that's $12 + Free Shipping online. I wasted an hour drive and my gas money just to get ripped off by those fools.
If you're dead-set on buying from the dealer, call ahead and ask for the price.

kkeo211

Apr 14, 2014
gpking said:
+1
I wasn't expecting the old fluid to shoot out like it did (duh, I had the front wheels on ramps to drain) and I was green for the rest of the afternoon.

Also, +1 for the pump that screws into the bottle. I got one for $5 at Napa.

For anyone looking to get AutoTrak II, I actually recommend getting it from anywhere besides the dealer. Stupid Fitzgerald Chevrolet charged me nearly $15 a bottle for the stuff that's $12 + Free Shipping online. I wasted an hour drive and my gas money just to get ripped off by those fools.
If you're dead-set on buying from the dealer, call ahead and ask for the price.

I try not to get anything from the dealer if possible because they tend to charge way to much. If you look on Amazon "ACDelco 10-4017 Auto-Trak II Transfer Case Fluid - 33.8 oz." is $7.20 a bottle and "Genuine GM Fluid 88900402 Auto Trak II Transfer Case Fluid - 33.8 oz." is $12.47 a bottle, but they both have the same part number in the description. Does anyone know what the difference is? If they are the same, I am going to pick up two bottles for $7.20 so I can change my TC 45k miles from now.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
When I changed mine two years ago I went to the local dealer as things are always expensive in Canada and priced the ATII out. I got two litres for 16 bucks or less. Not as much of a gouge as I would have thought. I bought a basic transfer pump for under 20 and its paid for itself many times over doing the diffs and trans.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
kkeo211 said:
I try not to get anything from the dealer if possible because they tend to charge way to much. If you look on Amazon "ACDelco 10-4017 Auto-Trak II Transfer Case Fluid - 33.8 oz." is $7.20 a bottle and "Genuine GM Fluid 88900402 Auto Trak II Transfer Case Fluid - 33.8 oz." is $12.47 a bottle, but they both have the same part number in the description. Does anyone know what the difference is? If they are the same, I am going to pick up two bottles for $7.20 so I can change my TC 45k miles from now.
There's no difference.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Might want to pick up a 3rd. The fluid capacity it's just a little over 2 quarts, it's also good to have just in case you spill. You can always return an unopened bottle if you don't use it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Actually the bottles of Auto-Track II are 1 liter bottles (33.8 ounces). That should be more than enough. Spillage is, however, possible.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
The last I bought was from O'Reillys however when searching their site use ACDelco 10-4017. Locally they had to order from the warehouse.
An interesting bit of info. On Amazon AC Delco 10-4014 is listed for $7.11 while the OEM version, 88900402 is $12.46 - both 1 liter bottles

POW

May 23, 2014
So it was agreed that the AC Delco for $7 is okay to use???

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4017-Auto-Trak-Transfer-Fluid/dp/B002H8U3KK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1405521529&sr=1-1&keywords=acdelco+auto+trak+ii Here is the 10-4017 for $8.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid-88900402-Auto-Transfer/dp/B00BK7LYSY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1405521529&sr=1-2&keywords=acdelco+auto+trak+ii Here is the "Genuine GM Fluid" for $12.46.

I am going to order the $8 stuff.

Along with this fluid pump http://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lubrimatic-Standard-Bottles/dp/B000BQW5LK/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y for $7.

----

I use Amazon a lot... I have Amazon Prime so free 2 day shipping delivered to my front door. I love it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
As long as it is Autotrak II I don't see a problem. I've always gotten a black bottle from the dealer, so I'm not sure why they have a white bottle with the same contents for a higher price. Weird.

10-4014 is Friction Modified Synchromesh Transmission Fluid, NOT Autotrak. So do NOT use that in the transfer case.

Reactions: Chris E

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
The Amazon link in POW's post clearly shows 10-1047 as being Auto-Trak II in a black bottle. I bought mine from O'Reillys and the bottle also showed 10-1047 as Auto-Trak II

loondog33

Jun 25, 2014
Another who found ac-delco auto trak II at oreilly's for nine bucks a quart. They had it on hand.

After reading through pages of threads here on the forums, out of general curiosity, I noticed the repeated warning of transfer case neglect. I poked my head under the driver's side to locate the TC and my stomach dropped. Oil was dripping down all around the TC. The pessimist I am, I thought for sure a seal was shot, so I lifted up the truck and climbed under. As soon as get a good look at fill plug, it is clear that is where the leak is. The plug was loose enough to unscrew by hand. I used the generic red hand pump from harbor freight to fill the transfer case fluid and it worked ok, should have tried autozone for that oil gun posted above and in may03lt's videos.

I had taken my truck to a grease monkey oil change shop, used to be lube pros, for an oil change and without notifying me they checked my differential and transfer case. Apparently they're not good at tightening bolts. I guess that is what you get for using a coupon for $10 off, instead of taking the whopping thirty minutes out of my day to do it myself.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My transfer case has survived a 100k mile fluid change (had never been changed when I got it at 112k), being totally emptied from a failed tail shaft seal, etc. Still works great, 200k now on that thing. I've been lucky :eek:

Reactions: loondog33

loondog33

Jun 25, 2014
B33p3r said:
Auto trac II for an 06 4.2?
I would assume, yes, an 06' still uses auto trak II (for the transfer case only). Both ac-delco and gm make the approved blend. Can pick up online, oreilly's and dealer from what I've found. Cheers.

Both front and rear differential take 75w-90, synthetic preferably.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Hypnotoad said:
I picked one of these up at AutoZone for $11. Worked great for changing the transfer case fluid. Also works well for changing the differential oil.

attachicon.gif
uploadfromtaptalk1404756882495.jpg
I went through 2 of these and both were POS. the seals were junk. Even with the fluids warm and going slow, they sucked air off the back side of the seal drawing in, and ran past the plunger pushing out. Made a mess and wasted about $20 in fluid and 2 trips to Autozone to swap/return.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Grimor said:
I went through 2 of these and both were POS. the seals were junk. Even with the fluids warm and going slow, they sucked air off the back side of the seal drawing in, and ran past the plunger pushing out. Made a mess and wasted about $20 in fluid and 2 trips to Autozone to swap/return.
Worked great for me.

Royalwapiti

Jul 16, 2012
Definitely change your TC fluid at 50K. I didn't and had transfer case problems, threw parts at it, switch, TCCM, encoder motor, and finally took it to dealer for a check out. They said it was toast. They pulled some fluid out and it had a burnt smell, something overheated inside it. 75,000 miles

Salvage yard sold me a used TC for $250, took 3 hours to change out.

Do your maintenance.

PS Still have two encoder motors....for sale.

Reactions: Mounce

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
the 10-4017 is what the GM Dealership sold me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online