Towing a car with the TB using U-haul's Auto transport trailer

salvo2002

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
gmcman said:
Good to hear it went well, except for the linkage issue of course.

Just something to keep in mind, some sag is good. Don't try to take too much weight from the tongue or the trailer will sway..kinda like the "tail wagging the dog".

First time I pulled a grand am it was rocking back and forth at hwy speed, I thought I loaded it forward enough. Re adjusted to where the rear dropped another inch or so and it pulled straight. Lastly if you don't have an extra cooler or at least a tranny temp gauge, make sure the converter at least locks up. Acceleration isn't the issue as much as ensuring the converter is locked.

It pulled straight so I guess I had sufficient tongue weight; either that or I kept my speed reasonable, ~60-65mph.

this might be trivial, but I can't seem to come up with an answer: how would I make sure the converter locks up? or ensure it is locked?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
salvo2002 said:
this might be trivial, but I can't seem to come up with an answer: how would I make sure the converter locks up? or ensure it is locked?

Try this....with the engine at normal temp and at hwy speed, watch the tach right after you switch into 4th (OD), it should raise slightly everytime you press the accel pedal.

Then, with slight pressure on the accelerator, the tach should settle down about another 200 RPM. This is where you push on the accel and notice the tach tends to stay put and not bounce up, this is where the converter locks. It will unlock when you coast and under hard accel then lock back up under light pedal pressure.

The trans will also do this in 3rd, which is ideal for towing heavy loads since everything is running at a 1:1 ratio in the trans.

Getting used to this with no trailer will help you know when the converter is locked when towing. The ECM will learn after a short trip that higher than normal accel pedal pressure or position is happening more often and will hold the converter in lock-up more instead of kicking it out. Pulling my empty tandem I can almost go 1/2 throttle and it's still in lockup cresting small hills, won't do this right away but after about 20 miles it would.

Reactions: salvo2002

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online