Tire Wear

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I have a 2008 Ascender , both fronts are wearing on the inside edge. Tires have about 37000 miles on them . At this point I might be able to get about 15000 more out of them . Just wondering at this point should I get it aligned now or just wait until I get new tires down the road . They are pretty worn along these edges but the rest of the tire has good tread left. I think its been like this since new as I have noticed this slow wear on the inside edges almost since I have owned it. It does not pull at all in either direction and goes straight down the road so does this mean the tow in or out is out of spec ? If I get it done now will the alignment be ok on new tires?

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
vipergg said:
I have a 2008 Ascender , both fronts are wearing on the inside edge. Tires have about 37000 miles on them . At this point I might be able to get about 15000 more out of them . Just wondering at this point should I get it aligned now or just wait until I get new tires down the road . They are pretty worn along these edges but the rest of the tire has good tread left. I think its been like this since new as I have noticed this slow wear on the inside edges almost since I have owned it. It does not pull at all in either direction and goes straight down the road so does this mean the tow in or out is out of spec ? If I get it done now will the alignment be ok on new tires?

If it were me, I'd rotate them front to back and get it aligned. You may have worn parts causing the uneven tire wear, best to catch it now before it gets worse. My :twocents:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
U more than likely have negative camber. U are driving more on ur inner tire obviously. If u have any bad parts... proly bad ball joints. To check jack the truck up and seeif there's any play 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock. That usual indicates worn ball joints. 3 0clock to 9 o'clock usually indicates bad tie rods . Yes u should rotate and get an alignment after replacing worn parts.

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I certainly hope the tie rods and ball joints aren't shot at 37000 miles. Being 2WD it has never been offroad either . Front end still seems real tight just seems to be wearing on the inside edges of both fronts .

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Nope just stock suspension , 37000 miles on the odometer.

ryan

Dec 4, 2011
I had same thing around 60,000.had it aligned and it stopped..the stock conti,s that came on mine..wore funny feathered on edges none of the other 2 sets i had did,they wore normal

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
ryan said:
I had same thing around 60,000.had it aligned and it stopped..the stock conti,s that came on mine..wore funny feathered on edges none of the other 2 sets i had did,they wore normal

That's interesting, that's exactly what I have is stock Continental Contritrac's for tires . Except for those inside edges the rest of the tire is holding up pretty good .

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
:hijack:

vipergg said:
I have a 2008 Ascender ...... Tires have about 37000 miles on them . ..........

Wow you've done some driving! :eek: I thought you had ~2000 when you got your truck in '10 or so right? Good luck with your tires, hope you get your wear issue figured out.

:hijack: over. Back to your regularly scheduled thread. ...

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
mapanch said:
:hijack:

Wow you've done some driving! :eek: I thought you had ~2000 when you got your truck in '10 or so right? Good luck with your tires, hope you get your wear issue figured out.

:hijack: over. Back to your regularly scheduled thread. ...
Yes I have , it's been from Ny to florida twice and I drive 3 hours every weekend in the summer to our cottage so it has added up in a hurry but most of it is highway driving . Yup it had 2800 miles on it when I bought it in April 2010. :wootwoot:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, i'd say its an alignment issue.. do shops around you diagnose for free? put it up on the machine and check it out... with the insides wearing, thats usually a ball joint issue, or alighnment.. and like silvernclean said.. thats camber... toe would be the outter tire wearing unevenly...

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
I usually go to General Tire in Henrietta to get my alignment done, never had any issues with them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online