Tire Squeal

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
For sometime now, I have had excessive tire squel when taking turns, even at relatively low speeds. What is the common culprit? Ball joints or a more simple alignment issue? The squel has gotten worse with reduced tread but the tread is not so low as to expect such excessive squel, as far as I can tell at least.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles? Is the squeal from the front or rear? Are you current on differential oil changes? Do you have the G80 locker in the rear if the noise is coming from the rear?

That said, it's probably a simple alignment issue. When was your last one? Tires properly inflated?

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
How many miles? Is the squeal from the front or rear? Are you current on differential oil changes? Do you have the G80 locker in the rear if the noise is coming from the rear?

That said, it's probably a simple alignment issue. When was your last one? Tires properly inflated?

I bought the car used so I am unsure how many miles on the tires. I have approximately 50k miles total on the vehicle, original differential oil I am guessing and yes I have the G80 locker in the rear but the noise sounds like it is coming from the front. The tires are properly inflated.

Feb 24, 2012
what are your tire pressures?

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I have had my tires squeal more as the tread gets lower. Also for me upping the pressure has helped. I'm not sure what it is, but I know it's close to halfway between what is printed on the door, and what the max is on the tire.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Pittdawg said:
I bought the car used so I am unsure how many miles on the tires. I have approximately 50k miles total on the vehicle, original differential oil I am guessing and yes I have the G80 locker in the rear but the noise sounds like it is coming from the front. The tires are properly inflated.

Might be somewhat off topic, but make sure you do the transfer case service (i.e. fluid change) at 50,000 miles. Most shops also service the differentials at the same time. Will save you money down the road :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online