Tinted Headlights

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have tinted my tails already and I have seen many people tint they're headlights, and leave the area clear(untinted) where the low and high beam show through. I was wanting to know how much the tint would effect the output of the lights if i were to tint the entire headlight. I understand the more coats = Darker the tint, and less light.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
IMHO, it's just a bad idea to tint the entire light. It will either be too light to notice or too dark to be safe. Leaving the hi/low area untinted will at least preserve visibility, though you could still have inspection issues if your state is strict. If you want to do something like tint, I would recommend either something on the lighter side, or getting a second set so you can swap bac and forth if you need to.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
smitty5150 said:
IMHO, it's just a bad idea to tint the entire light. It will either be too light to notice or too dark to be safe. Leaving the hi/low area untinted will at least preserve visibility, though you could still have inspection issues if your state is strict.

This^^^.

That's what I did with mine

62169b2e-4bdd-9368.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree: with Smitty and Rider, but if you want to try it why don't you use the tint film you can get on ebay so it's easy to go back to stock?

[EBAY]310351895002[/EBAY]

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
smitty5150 said:
IMHO, it's just a bad idea to tint the entire light.
I was a broken record on this issue on the OS, but then I'm an old fart who just doesn't "get it". Why in the WORLD would anyone trade safety for the illusion of some sort of better "look" if it wasn't a trailered show poodle of a truck? :confused:

house-roadie.jpg

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
That's why I only did part of my head light. Even with HIDs, it seem like a horrible idea.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
I took mine apart, painted the bezels, and tinted the corners. "OEM" for the sake of state regs, safe to drive on, and about as custom as you can get. Probably going to do a projector retrofit over the remainder of the winter, now that I have a junker set to drive on. Down time is a bitch.

gmtrailblazer

Dec 17, 2011
I tinted all of mine except for the low/high beams also. I definately would not recommend tinting all of the light though.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 12

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
I personally love the yellow corner markers and turn signals. I even swapped out the yellow parking lights with darker orange ones. Looks 1000% better IMO. Just another option

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I agree with all of you, but i was wondering if anyone ever did the whole light, we dont have inspections here in the rural parts of TN. And ive seen a few trucks with the whole headlight tinted, and i wasnt sure how well they could see..
i plan on tinting my headlight like many of you have leaving the low and high beams exposed.

07 TB RIDER said:
this is what i will probably end up doing. really dark tint, so it will match my black grill crossbar.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i agree with everyone else... just a waste of time... for all that, why not just get a headlight cover that you can take on and off? but even that will look dumb IMO..

i understand the idea... but as roadie said, why sacrafice safety over visual effects...

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
i agree with everyone else... just a waste of time... for all that, why not just get a headlight cover that you can take on and off? but even that will look dumb IMO..

i understand the idea... but as roadie said, why sacrafice safety over visual effects...

i understand that it would darken the lenses, so there would be less light output, but i was wondering how much less it would be.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
YOUNG said:
i understand that it would darken the lenses, so there would be less light output, but i was wondering how much less it would be.

The answer to your question depends entirely on how fast you sprayed, and how many coats.

:lightbulb:What you could do, is get a can of Niteshades, and then take an empty clear plastic container, and spray it. Hold it in front of a light in your kitchen and see how much less light gets through. Seeing for yourself would be a much better way to answer your question, rather than a bunch of other people trying to convey their own perceptions. :twocents:

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
The answer to your question depends entirely on how fast you sprayed, and how many coats.

:lightbulb:What you could do, is get a can of Niteshades, and then take an empty clear plastic container, and spray it. Hold it in front of a light in your kitchen and see how much less light gets through. Seeing for yourself would be a much better way to answer your question, rather than a bunch of other people trying to convey their own perceptions. :twocents:

see that is a good idea! :wootwoot: im going to have to try that, i could bet a small storage bin with a flashlight behind it would work pretty well..

Edit : or even holding it right up to my headlight might work, but im not sure.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
YOUNG said:

its kool man... it was just my opinion.. i wouldnt sacrafice safety.. but im me and you are you...

but i do like Carlton's idea, just make sure you test things out.. would hate to see something happen over a mod ya know...

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I assume headlight covers and tinting your whole had light is roughly the same shade of darkness.

These are from back in the say when I used to run them.
n876360590_6548269_46.jpg

n876360590_6548262_5130055.jpg

n876360590_6548261_4218083.jpg

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
YOUNG said:
how much difference in light output did u notice when u had them installed? was it a huge difference?

It kind of sucked with stock lighting but it did get a little bt better when I got 6000k HIDs even though with the covers on, it gave off a greenish light. :confused:

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
07 TB RIDER said:
It kind of sucked with stock lighting but it did get a little bt better when I got 6000k HIDs even though with the covers on, it gave off a greenish light. :confused:

yeah i dont have hids yet, but i have hoens low and highs, and they are just as bright as most peoples hids. IMO.
i might be tinting the whole thing :tongue: but im not sure yet, ill be considering different things the next month or two, and then tint when it gets warmer.

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
here we go alot of pictures, but im a visual person and i just like pictures!

weather finally warmed up, and i didnt have anything to do today. So i went ahead and tinted the Headlights! :biggrin:

These have about 6 or so good coats on them, and 5 heavy coats of clear.

0218121406b-1.jpg

Taped up, ready to paint.

Coat 1 Light coat
0218121409a.jpg

0218121451.jpg

Later Coats, Thicker coats.
0218121451a.jpg

0218121451b.jpg

0218121451c.jpg

drying up
0218121614.jpg

Tape Removed :biggrin:
0218121719a.jpg

0218121722.jpg

0218121724.jpg

0218121726a.jpg

0218121726a.jpg

0218121726.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Didn't you have a black cross bar? :confused: Or did you change that or something? Also how do those turn signals show with that? I would have not tinted the turn signals! That can cause a head on accident if someone does not see you going to the left lane as they are also because there turn is the your right just before it or something. Happens to me sometimes and that turn signal saves my ass every time :yes:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Didn't you have a black cross bar? :confused: Or did you change that or something? Also how do those turn signals show with that? I would have not tinted the turn signals! That can cause a head on accident if someone does not see you going to the left lane as they are also because there turn is the your right just before it or something. Happens to me sometimes and that turn signal saves my ass every time :yes:

I agree with not have tinting the signals. I did my side view mirror signals and they look good but DARK, I don't think they are dark enough for LED's but I have not been in it at night since. And I probably won't for a while. I plan on ruining my headlights lol by tearing them to shreads to paint the little chrome insert things instead of VHT on the headlights. I hope this makes sense...been doped up since my surgery yesterday :smile:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I agree with not have tinting the signals. I did my side view mirror signals and they look good but DARK, I don't think they are dark enough for LED's but I have not been in it at night since. And I probably won't for a while. I plan on ruining my headlights lol by tearing them to shreads to paint the little chrome insert things instead of VHT on the headlights. I hope this makes sense...been doped up since my surgery yesterday :smile:

Yea good luck with the headlights

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
silvernclean said:
Yea good luck with the headlights

I'm gonna make hubby do it so I can't be blamed for killing em lol

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Looks good :thumbsup: How about night pics with the parking lights on.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ItsOnVoy said:
Didn't you have a black cross bar? :confused: Or did you change that or something?...

:undecided: I thought the same thing, glanced at the avatar to make sure the booze I was drinking wasn't making me see things. :laugh:

My suggestion, paint the gray mesh of the grille, and the bowtie, gloss black to match the tint of the headlights. :biggrin: :cool:

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yes my grille used to be black! i stripped the paint off it about a week or two ago when i got the truck back from insurance..
Im repainting it probably tomorrow.
im debating leaving my bowtie as it is (goldish close to paint color) or paint it black to.

My headlights are very dark, the turn signals on the front show through nice and red though, and i like it, not nearly as good as stock. but you can see it blinking. I will be looking for leds or brighter lights, so if anyone has any ideas of lights, post them up!

I will post pictures at night tomorrow night, as ive already taken my lights back off for the night to sand them down and everything. yes those are pictures of non-sanded lights. all i did was remove the tape.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
YOUNG said:
Yes my grille used to be black! i stripped the paint off it about a week or two ago when i got the truck back from insurance..
Im repainting it probably tomorrow.
im debating leaving my bowtie as it is (goldish close to paint color) or paint it black to.

If you're gonna paint the crossbar again, then yeah, leave the bowtie as is :yes:

YOUNG said:
My headlights are very dark, the turn signals on the front show through nice and red though, and i like it, not nearly as good as stock. but you can see it blinking. I will be looking for leds or brighter lights, so if anyone has any ideas of lights, post them up!

Switchbacks. Get some! :biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
If you're gonna paint the crossbar again, then yeah, leave the bowtie as is :yes:

:iagree: Or you can color match the bar and paint the bowtie black! That would look good :yes:

Blckshdw said:
Switchbacks. Get some! :biggrin:

:rotfl: How did I know this was going to the be the next post :raspberry: lol

But yes switchbacks are deff worth it and look good!!

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Definitely dark! Looks good, though. I would be inclined to use those as show lights. Curious, how did you prep them? These lights see a lotion abuse. I have seen some professional sprayed headlights peel because of ruhed work. They are not easy to strip back.

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Definitely dark! Looks good, though. I would be inclined to use those as show lights. Curious, how did you prep them? These lights see a lotion abuse. I have seen some professional sprayed headlights peel because of ruhed work. They are not easy to strip back.

not much prep :lipsrsealed:
I washed them with warm water, used a sponge and cleaned them, no soap or anything, and just sprayed them off in the sink, took them out and dried them with a microfiber cloth and then didnt touch the sufface. Then taped them up, wiped them down with a dry microfiber and then sprayed them, waited 20 mintues or so between each coat, and then sprayed again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online