Tierods

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I'm going to be replacing my inner and outer tierod as well as my ball joints. So far most of the repairs i've done i bought my parts off from rockauto. I'm wondering whats a good durable brand at reasonable price. I only feel like doing this job once. I do have oreilly part store near by that i could go to as well. The brand i have to choose from are masterpro, moog, beck/arnley, acdelco, raybestos, deeza.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Yes, Moog. And often Moog prices are competitive.

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I went rockauto to see the pricess and for all moogs parts inner and outter tierods, lower and upper ball joints for both side comes to a little over $400 dollar with shipping. Does this sound high?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I went with Meevotech (sp?) with my outers from Rockauto. Haven't been an issue.

DanD

Mar 23, 2014
Hewitt, WI
kdannyk said:
I went rockauto to see the pricess and for all moogs parts inner and outter tierods, lower and upper ball joints for both side comes to a little over $400 dollar with shipping. Does this sound high?

I haven't shopped around, but one Moog outer tie rod was just over $100 a few years back when I bought two. Seems reasonable for all the parts you mentioned.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
More than I would pay for those parts, but I do not think Moog is better than most cheap ebay parts.

Jul 24, 2012
FWIW:

Just last night I ordered AC Delco outer tie rods from Rockauto.

I'm about to switch out my steering gear at 210K miles, and one of the tie rods is still original.

The other is a Moog I had a shop put on 60K+ miles ago. I don't think it's bad, but it sure didn't want to come off the inner
tie rod when I was wrenching on it to see if I wanted to do this repair myself.

So instead of fighting that siezed nut, I bought new and I'll just drop the old gear and tie rods off and put the whole new gear
and tie rods back on. Plus I like a balanced repair when I can get one, and they had to come off anyway.

I got Mevotech upper ball joints almost two years / 40K miles ago, and I guess they are ok. I haven't had reason to suspect them
failing so far, anyway.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Check twice, I thought some steering geer comes with the inner tie rods.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
My reman from Rockauto did.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
meerschm said:
Check twice, I thought some steering geer comes with the inner tie rods.

I bought a rack and pinion and it did come with inner rods.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
04envoyxlv8

Members Online