Temperature thingy not working...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
The temperature thingy (Think it's called the ambient temperature) for the outside temperature is not working. I mean it's on, lit up and showing a temperature, but it is not accurate nor has it changed since this morning. It seems to be stuck on 46 degrees, even when it is close to 80 outside.

Any advise on what it could be or where I can start looking?

Thanks

View attachment 23029

Picture was taken at about 4:45pm today...it was actually 78 degrees outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20120927_153911.jpg
    IMG_20120927_153911.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 10

Bodyslide

Dec 5, 2011
I know its temp sensor, I remember a thread at the old place, not sure if there is a thread here. It's a 20.00 part and takes a few minutes to repalce...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Bodyslide said:
I know its temp sensor, I remember a thread at the old place, not sure if there is a thread here. It's a 20.00 part and takes a few minutes to repalce...

I thought the temp sensor was for the thermostat? And not the temp gauge for outside temperature readings? Or is there a temp sensor for both, because the trucks temp is right dead center. :undecided:

I tried doing a search on here before posting it, but told me no results could be found. I'll logout, log back in and try again...its been an ongoing issue for my computer for some reason.

ETA- Logged out and back in, was able to find the thread with search lol

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Voymom said:
I thought the temp sensor was for the thermostat? And not the temp gauge for outside temperature readings? Or is there a temp sensor for both, because the trucks temp is right dead center. :undecided:

I tried doing a search on here before posting it, but told me no results could be found. I'll logout, log back in and try again...its been an ongoing issue for my computer for some reason.

ETA- Logged out and back in, was able to find the thread with search lol

Heya mumma... Temp sensor in front of the radiator behind the grill... Has a two wire plug on it and has a straight round piece on it like a thermometer.. Realllly easy fix...

And you say it is staying that temp even when you drive it? Reason I ask is it will not update sitting there parked...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
McGMT said:
Heya mumma... Temp sensor in front of the radiator behind the grill... Has a two wire plug on it and has a straight round piece on it like a thermometer.. Realllly easy fix...

And you say it is staying that temp even when you drive it? Reason I ask is it will not update sitting there parked...

Thanks McGMT! I found a thread on here which explained it. I have been having a search issue on the forum the past 4 days. It wouldn't allow me to search anything, but I guess logging out and back in helped because it worked after I did it lol

It doesn't move when I'm driving at all....so that's why I figured it was crapola.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Voymom said:
Thanks McGMT! I found a thread on here which explained it. I have been having a search issue on the forum the past 4 days. It wouldn't allow me to search anything, but I guess logging out and back in helped because it worked after I did it lol

It doesn't move when I'm driving at all....so that's why I figured it was crapola.

Yes ma`am it is probably kaput... And your welcome mum.

cbwilsha

Dec 4, 2011
Before you buy a new one, Voymom, try a reset. With the vehicle on and running, press Front Defrost, Rear Defrost and Mode at the same time.

73 & 88,

C.B. W5END

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
cbwilsha said:
Before you buy a new one, Voymom, try a reset. With the vehicle on and running, press Front Defrost, Rear Defrost and Mode at the same time.

73 & 88,

C.B. W5END

Cool, where did you find that one?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
meerschm said:
Cool, where did you find that one?

It's actually on another post :smile: I found it while searching the forums as well.

cbwilsha

Dec 4, 2011
I originally got it from the Helm Service Manual but have seen it a number of places since. I have had occasion to use it a couple of times over the 9 years I've had my Envoy and still have the original very accurate sensor.

I take it that it didn't work in your case Tami.

C.B.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The three-finger-reset is a useful trick also when you're offroading, and the ambient temp sensor is set to not update if you're going under 20 MPH. They don't want to alarm the easily-scared drivers to see what the ambient temp really is in Phoenix in rush hour summer traffic near the black asphalt. But you can force an update with the reset command.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I haven't had the chance to try it yet, Mat has the truck at work so I have to wait for him to get home. I will update to let you all know whether it works or if I'm looking at ignoring the temperature outside the truck for a while lol

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Voymom said:
I haven't had the chance to try it yet, Mat has the truck at work so I have to wait for him to get home. I will update to let you all know whether it works or if I'm looking at ignoring the temperature outside the truck for a while lol

It is $2.00 at rockauto for the AC Delco sensor... At least it is for my year... That cheap enough? :wink:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
McGMT said:
It is $2.00 at rockauto for the AC Delco sensor... At least it is for my year... That cheap enough? :wink:

I checked for it there earlier. I guess I'm just up in the air about whether or not it's worth fixing. I heard it could interfere with the temp of your air conditioner...but it's cold here now and we won't need it, plus I personally never use the A/C, always have the windows down.

On the other note....it's nice to know that it is 46 degrees out and all, but by the time I walk out my front door to the truck, I already know that it is either really f'ing cold or really f'ing hot lmao in which case it makes the ambient temp useless. I don't really care how hot it is, hot is hot and glancing down at the temperature won't cool it off any lol

But from a woman who LOVES to shop, the mere satisfaction of spending $2.00 may indeed be entirely worth replacing it :wink:

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
My temp isn't "half" working. During the summer it's been stuck on 50 degrees. I just left it to trick myself that it's cooler outside. But it does work when the temp outside gets below 50 degrees. So winter is coming so there is no need to change mine yet.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
seanpooh said:
My temp isn't "half" working. During the summer it's been stuck on 50 degrees. I just left it to trick myself that it's cooler outside. But it does work when the temp outside gets below 50 degrees. So winter is coming so there is no need to change mine yet.

I thought my truck was temperamental lol in your case/scenario I would just punch the f'er!! :raspberry:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Look at the bright side. If it was a few degrees out, it would NEVER be correct.

If it is stuck on 46, it has to be right at least a FEW days of the year!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Chickenhawk said:
Look at the bright side. If it was a few degrees out, it would NEVER be correct.

If it is stuck on 46, it has to be right at least a FEW days of the year!

Very true!! Mat came home and said that the temp finally changed, but it's still off dramatically. It seems when it is warm outside the temp says it's cooler than what it really is, and when it is cold outside the temp says it's warmer than what it is...it seems to be off by 10-15 and even 30 degrees.

I guess I COULD send him out to test the restart method, but I don't plan on driving it so it would be pointless right now. I will reset it tomorrow when we venture out!

cbwilsha

Dec 4, 2011
Tami, did the reset method work or did you get a new sensor? Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:

C.B.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
cbwilsha said:
Tami, did the reset method work or did you get a new sensor? Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:

C.B.

I'm sorry! Yes, the reset did indeed work! Completely forgot about updating this thread :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online