Tell Us About Your Profession

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I work in commercial printing....I started after high school in 2000. Its a good paying job. We print things like brochures for colleges, things for bank of america, water furnace. Pizza hut....etc.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Where? Pax River NAS in Southern Maryland

What? Contractor for the US navy, I am the crew lead for our hangars Move/Wash crew.

Why? The Pay is awesome, pretty cool to work around helicopters, and I am working on trying to become a helo Mech looking at one of the H-1 platforms AH-1W, UH-1N, AH-1Z, or the UH-1Y I am one of the few people that actually like my job where I am at.

How long? It will be 5 years on April 2

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Lead embedded software engineer here. Planning and leading projects is a big part of my day though I've been spending a little time in the lab lately. Been doing embedded software for over 20 years. Degree is electrical engineering with a strong concentration in computer engineering and computer science. I scare a lot of people when I pull out an oscilloscope in the lab.

animal

Dec 4, 2011
Manufacturing
I am a supervisor for a seals manufacturer (Powertrain Oil Seals Division)
Its one of the only bigger employers in the area. (middle of nowhere)
Last week was my 22nd anniversary with the company

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
i can tell you what i used to do.

was a long haul truck driver from 1994 to 2003 over 1.2 millions miles

went back to school got my ase master tech cert.

worked on forklifts for 2 years

Then we had triplets and my wife makes more money than i do so know i am a stay at home dad of a 4 year old and 2 year old trips

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Recently left my job as the Valet supervisor at the Crowne Plaza Riverwalk I was there for 2.5 years, got passed up for a promotion for a person with no experience working valet. Only got the job because she is friends with the GM , Now I am working at a Hilton as a Van Driver/Houseman, also work part time for Enterprise cleaning cars.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I work at a foreign and domestic auto repair shop. Been there close to two years. Before that, I worked at a dealer for nearly six years. It was quite a change going from working on the same products that I knew very well day after day to working on anything under the sun. And I mean anything. Why? I like the challenge.

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
I work in Afghanistan for the moment as Maint manager for a UAV platform, been with the system over 3 years, been over here about 7 months, I do it cause someone has to, good ol' American pride, pay is very good :smile:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I happen to be a stay at home mom, have been one for almost 8yrs, with off and on jobs because I had a hard time NOT having kids :redface: I have 5 wonderful and rambunctious boys and 1 very tenacious daughter :smile: My oldest will be 11 this year and my youngest(daughter) just turned one on Christmas.

I have worked several positions from house cleaner with Merry Maids to Vet Tech at our local vet clinic. My passion is horses, I used to show them professionally when I was younger, and would love to get back in the saddle once my children are older.

My pay is fantastic and is hourly, greatest part of payday is that it's everyday! I get hugs, kisses, cuddles, thank you's, and so much more every single day. Seeing my children smile and knowing I am a good mother and an even better wife makes this job the highest paying of any career available today!:yes:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
you might as well call me Ronald McDonald :rotfl:

i work for a licensee franchise McDonalds Private owner of 3 reatsurants... I'm the IT guy for my owners organization, and i run his busiest restaurant (3 million dollars plus per year). I have a degree in Computer Maintenance and Networking, and ive been with McDonalds for 15 years now (ever since i was 16), the pay is enough to get me by comfertably, but this is just my job.. not career.. there is a reason i went to school.. so im looking for a way out now..

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I work in IT for a small firm that does IT work for a few dozen small and medium businesses around the area, generally ones that don't need a full-time in-house IT guy but also as backup for those that do have their own IT guy when he gets overloaded.

I'm the primary virus/malware/rootkit removal go-to guy, I do office networking (cable pulling and terminations), I'll tear down laptops for repairs, and delve into repairs of circuit boards when board-level repairs are more cost-effective than replacement (or when replacements simply are not available). This also means I've done a little more than computer circuit board repairs - I've repaired TVs too and currently have a Yamaha home theater amp torn apart.

I've been there 2 years and 4 months. Started off part-time hourly, now I feel like I'm working my butt off and work all hours sometimes. Actually I have a laptop on the desk next to me right now that I'm reinstalling Windows and restoring data on after a hard drive failure. It needs done by tomorrow morning and I had no time earlier today, so I'm doing it now. Plus I have several other things I'm in the middle of that I need to finish before the workday starts tomorrow morning, which kind of sucks. I haven't been getting too much sleep for the past few weeks...

Over all, I like my job quite a bit, but right now it does suck a little lol. But I dare someone to show me a job that doesn't have its sucky moments... I hear crickets :tongue:

lynch55

Dec 14, 2011
Voymom said:
I happen to be a stay at home mom, have been one for almost 8yrs, with off and on jobs because I had a hard time NOT having kids :redface: I have 5 wonderful and rambunctious boys and 1 very tenacious daughter :smile: My oldest will be 11 this year and my youngest(daughter) just turned one on Christmas.

I have worked several positions from house cleaner with Merry Maids to Vet Tech at our local vet clinic. My passion is horses, I used to show them professionally when I was younger, and would love to get back in the saddle once my children are older.

My pay is fantastic and is hourly, greatest part of payday is that it's everyday! I get hugs, kisses, cuddles, thank you's, and so much more every single day. Seeing my children smile and knowing I am a good mother and an even better wife makes this job the highest paying of any career available today!:yes:

Holy cow, you go girl!!:thumbsup:

WillyGood

Jan 31, 2012
I do HVAC for work. Been with this company 4 years in May, The company before that 3. I do it because I can't figure out a way to get my bills to pay themselves. lol. I like it though, we do a wide variety of things from installs to service. We do residential, commercial and a little bit of industrial. The equipment we install and service includes oil, natural gas, LP, heat pumps, Hybrid heat systems, geothermal and pretty much everything in between. It's definitely not easy sometimes, but at the end of the day its worth it to know i am providing for my family.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Over the last 14 years I have:
  • Worked as an IT guy/Net Admin
  • Worked for the cable company on the broadband/digital phone side of things, including a lot of time spent at the NOC.
  • Installed 2 way satellite communication dishes (1m and up)
  • Installed point to point wireless backbone equipment. (Distances over a mile)
  • Designed and installed higher end home theater/automation systems. (Sounds systems, projectors, lighting, control systems, security, surveillance cameras etc)
  • Worked with more networking equipment than I care to think about.
  • Pulled millions of feet of wire.
  • Written several customized applications. (some of which were still in use years after my departure, one of which I am still actively developing)
  • A bunch of other stuff that escapes me right now.
For the last 3 years I've run my own consulting business that combines nearly all of the above. I also have some smaller IT support contracts. One of these is an upstart company that I've watched evolve over the last 2 years. I've worked with them extensively on developing their workflow processes and I'm now considering a managerial position within that company. They are in the (very old) art business, so it's a real venue change for me.

I LOVE my job. :yes:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
I am a HVAC Apprentice have worked with one company for 4 years them i just got layed off on oct.15th 2011 the day i got home from school i went to go to back to work and i was told to find a new job that i no longer had a place to work. i have been looking for a job since then have not found one.so i am sadly unemployed

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
ERP Consultant / Project Manager

Used to Work with Ernst & Young as a Business Applications Consultant mainly for Oracle E-Business Suite & SAP Enterprise. Also a certified Project Manager (PMP). Worked with them for the last 3 years. Before that I was a pure Applications implementer between various companies and freelancing.

Now I work with a family owned business as the Group Business Application Manager / SAP Project Manager leading the SAP Implementation here. The group consists of 9 companies and over 300 branches. The pay is good thankfully and helps you go by.

My wife is currently unemployed because we're living in Saudi Arabia and apparently it's hard to find one for her! So that's what makes it a bit more difficult to manage expenses. I'm currently helping her open a side business for herself. Buying clothe from wholesale websites and then reselling. We'll c how that goes!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
4wVoy said:
I work in Afghanistan for the moment as Maint manager for a UAV platform, been with the system over 3 years, been over here about 7 months, I do it cause someone has to, good ol' American pride, pay is very good :smile:

Firescout???

About 10 guys from my hangar just joined the program, most went over to Afghanistan.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Jman423 said:
Where do you work? What do you do? Why? How long?

Where-- Currently for the Indiana Dept of Transportation-Real Estate Division and self-employed Consulting/Foreclosure work, also in real estate development on the side and as a hobby.

What-- I am a licensed real estate appraiser specializing in Right-of-Way acquisitions. Currently I am in a review position overseeing many large and small projects. Also do work for a couple realtors with foreclosure properties. Also love to look at properties and be able to maximize the potential while making some money.

Why-- I am really good at it. About 20 years JR of anyone in my position. I am working toward my final licensing so that I can be in a position of very few appraisers in the state in a few years. Working for the agency pays for licensing and continuing ed and brings my lots of good connections and knowledge of markets all over the state.

Length-- I have been at INDOT for 5 years, in appraising for about 10, and in the real estate rental/property management/sales field for 15. My family owns a few hundred acres of land, 100's of storage units, multiple commercial properties, a couple large apartment buildings and a smattering of houses and duplexs. I started helping to build spec homes and develop property before I had a drivers license. I grew up reading appraisals and development plans. Turned out that I am pretty good with the vision, just dont currently have the capital to act on some things.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
Where: Harrielle Embroidery and screen printing....I also run my own small business doing the same work

What:
I am the print shop supervisor...as well as the in house artist and the sign/banner/decal guy.

Why: Fell into the job out of high school. I used to skateboard for a clothing company that eventually opened up their own print shop...and hired me to help out. It's cool to see stuff you've done in movies, catalogs or on store shelves.

How Long: Staying on topic...i've been printing for about 11 years. The place i'm at now about 5 years. Will have my own shop in a year or so. Still planning it out though.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
i work for a company that many people prolly hate but they are part of the biggest entertainment company in us and second biggest cable company also. I work for time warner cable been doing it for 6 years now. Why the benefits are good get to drive the work van home which saves the miles on the trailblazer, pay is decent and i get free cable and internet, and the biggest thing i really dont have someone breathing down my neck all the time. Before this i worked for a industrial electric / cabling company for able three years doing anything from pulling tons of cable for cubicles to running service wires for big companies

TB360

Dec 29, 2011
I work as a System Administrator/Support in Silicon Valley in CA for a company that provides online software solutions for medical businesses.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jbones said:
Retired Navy Chief, currently working in Security.

I think my brother (William) aka Billy when I was growing up does the same thing. I haven't seen him since I was probably 7-8yrs old. My only brother. I wonder if you know him? Last I knew he lived in WA state, I tried to get in touch with him when I lived in Tacoma. My dad said something a long the lines of him working on the radars??? lol. I'm not sure. Would be nice to get back in touch with him.....

And sorry....Just reminded me of my long lost brother :frown:

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Black_tb said:
i work for a company that many people prolly hate but they are part of the biggest entertainment company in us and second biggest cable company also. I work for time warner cable been doing it for 6 years now. Why the benefits are good get to drive the work van home which saves the miles on the trailblazer, pay is decent and i get free cable and internet, and the biggest thing i really dont have someone breathing down my neck all the time. Before this i worked for a industrial electric / cabling company for able three years doing anything from pulling tons of cable for cubicles to running service wires for big companies

I have a LOT of friends who work for Comcast up here. It's a good job with great benefits. Many of my friends have over 10 years in.

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Firescout???

About 10 guys from my hangar just joined the program, most went over to Afghanistan.

I work with Shadow, Firescout is a pretty small platform, weighs something like 36 lbs wet, Shadow is closer to 400 lbs wet. I talked to some of the Firescout guys at another base out here and it seems pretty sweet with only a couple guys, they might have 6-10 people max at one location while we have over 30. If you get bored google "shadow rq-7b". thats what i play with

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Black_tb said:
i work for a company that many people prolly hate but they are part of the biggest entertainment company in us and second biggest cable company also. I work for time warner cable been doing it for 6 years now.

I think we're meant to be Mortal Enemies :rotfl::raspberry:

I work for Dish Network LLC. I've been there for the last 7 months. It's not too bad, it has it's good days and it's bad days. Working here has taught me that some people are so damn stupid but that's besides the point. :biggrin: I came in as a CSR I and moved up in ranking in January and I am now a CSR II. The free TV service is a plus, helps out with the bills. The pay isn't bad, especially for a college kid and their bonus structure is pretty nice. And the reason I work here is I need something to pay for my schooling. I'm getting my bachelors in Business so this of course is all temporary.

I needed something better and higher paying after I left my job as a Call Center Supervisor for a company called MicahTek Inc. It takes incoming prayer request and order for alot of televangelist and other "non profit" companies and ministries. It was fun for a little bit but it was to much BS and backstabbing so after I was given an alternative, I called their bluff and I quit on them April 1st of 2011 and it was one of the best decisions. After a 3 month break, I applied and got hired at Dish in July '11.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Been working at Canadian Tire for close to 6 years now, started when I was 19. Did it to pay my way through college.

Went to college for electronics engineering, after 2 years, its wasnt for me. Switched to HVAC, did the 3 year program and graduated last May. Worked my last year of college at Humber College with the plant services crew. The commercial experiece was great. Worked with the HVAC guy, the electrician, the plumber and the millwright mechanic. Everyday was a different experience.

After graduating I worked at General Electric for 2 months, quit because it was BS. Off for 6 weeks. Then I worked with a HVAC guy for 3 months. Quit because the guy didnt want to pay me.

Off for a little more 4 months. Need to find something fast. Canadian Tire is carrying me for now.

Hopefully I can find an apprenticeship or a HVAC job.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
4wVoy said:
I work with Shadow, Firescout is a pretty small platform, weighs something like 36 lbs wet, Shadow is closer to 400 lbs wet. I talked to some of the Firescout guys at another base out here and it seems pretty sweet with only a couple guys, they might have 6-10 people max at one location while we have over 30. If you get bored google "shadow rq-7b". thats what i play with

Fire scout is a decent sized helo.

Northrop Grumman MQ-8 Fire Scout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
So, I'm guessing no one does what I do... I design, install and service aquariums. Been doing it for almost 10yrs now. Started out as a hobbyist. Always get a kick outa someone asking me what "I do" for a liveing! The look on there face is priceless... lol

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
I work at Kroger in the front office. I'm the assistant customer service manager. In charge of all the employees on the front end of the store (cashiers, baggers, u-scan attendants). I write the schedule, balance the registers, and balance the books for the store. Have a degree in Health Care Administration, but can't find anything. Been with Kroger for 9 1/2 years now. The money is decent and my insurance is awesome. Always looking for something else though.

fishguy1123 said:
So, I'm guessing no one does what I do... I design, install and service aquariums. Been doing it for almost 10yrs now. Started out as a hobbyist. Always get a kick outa someone asking me what "I do" for a liveing! The look on there face is priceless... lol

You have any pics of some of the more elaborate (ie kickass) ones that you have installed/seen?

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
mapanch said:
I work at Kroger in the front office. I'm the assistant customer service manager. In charge of all the employees on the front end of the store (cashiers, baggers, u-scan attendants). I write the schedule, balance the registers, and balance the books for the store. Have a degree in Health Care Administration, but can't find anything. Been with Kroger for 9 1/2 years now. The money is decent and my insurance is awesome. Always looking for something else though.

You have any pics of some of the more elaborate (ie kickass) ones that you have installed/seen?

I'll see what I have, largest was 2000 gal. half moon in shape. Most ppl have no clue what a large (300+) system can cost! lol Not ur average goldfish bowl...

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I work for a small book manufacturer running a flat bed cutter and a folder. Been doing it for 11 years. Previous to that, I worked for a paper mill cutting paper. Was there 21 years when they went belly up. My daughter is following in my footsteps after graduating from college. She is working for a commercial printer. We have bookmaking in our blood.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
rcam81 said:
I work for a small book manufacturer running a flat bed cutter and a folder. Been doing it for 11 years. Previous to that, I worked for a paper mill cutting paper. Was there 21 years when they went belly up. My daughter is following in my footsteps after graduating from college. She is working for a commercial printer. We have bookmaking in our blood.

Hey someone else in the printing industry. Sweet. Flat bed cutters are the guys who save the press operators ass (if they can) when there is a press issue. I run a 5-color 25" in. Heildelberg. Small but I like it. Used to run a 40".

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
fishguy1123 said:

Ive always wanted a salt water tank, however I dont think Ill ever have the time or the money to get one set up properly.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Black_tb said:

07 TB RIDER said:
I think we're meant to be Mortal Enemies :rotfl::raspberry:

I work for Dish Network LLC. I've been there for the last 7 months. It's not too bad, it has it's good days and it's bad days. Working here has taught me that some people are so damn stupid but that's besides the point. :biggrin: I came in as a CSR I and moved up in ranking in January and I am now a CSR II. The free TV service is a plus, helps out with the bills. The pay isn't bad, especially for a college kid and their bonus structure is pretty nice. And the reason I work here is I need something to pay for my schooling. I'm getting my bachelors in Business so this of course is all temporary.

You both might be our enemies!! My wife works for Multiband Inc., they install DirecTV for I wanna say a giant chunk of the Midwest. And she brings all the company vans to my shop for me to fix too. :biggrin: She's the HR rep for her warehouse, been there over 6 years, so I know a little bit about that industry.

Time Warner wasn't got awful when I had it for a short time during one of our "breaks" though. lol We just get DirecTV dirt cheap, but there are still a bunch of channels we don't get, because they still charge employees for every little thing. She only gets a basic choice package for free, everything else is extra...movie channels and such. I just had her upgrade our package because I noticed I didn't have SPEED channel...what the hell?! "Why don't I have Speed Channel??" "Because that's extra" "Well...order it then!!" haha

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.